F1: What's wrong? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-24-2014, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 124
F1: What's wrong?

Sorry to say, I'm becoming less and less enthusiastic each time I watch F1, though it's a great series...but becoming less so, IMO. The fairly sad airing of last week's Singapore GP was the bellwether of an increasing distance between media reporting vs. reality, in this way: the claim was made that the drivers liked Singapore, but it was the longest on the tour this year, in very hot, humid conditions. What driver could possibly like conditions like that? For spectators and drivers alike, it was even more dependent on grid positions than Monaco, if possible. The course was like a full-size slot car track, with 22 slot cars but only 1 1/5 slot track positions. So to speak. Perhaps I missed something but the only examples of on-track passing I saw (after the opening lap) were due to someone on fresh rubber catching someone up on worn-out tires. Also I'm sure that the Singaporeans are proud of their very modern skyline but frankly I'm more interested in the racing, than of "gee-whiz" shots of billion-dollar hotels in the sky.

So what do I not care for so much in current F1?

1. The sounds. I call the current turbo cars "Formula Evinrude"; no offense to Evinrude engines everywhere, but I like auto racing, not 200 mph bass fishing boats.
2. The stupid thing about "DRS" controlling aerodynamics. Let the organization specify dimensions for aerodynamic devices -"wings"- and let them change them as they will during the race. I think letting the drivers have cockpit controlled settings would be most entertaining; more driver, less electronics. How can that be bad?
3. 100 liters of fuel, that's it? What is this, the Mobil Economy Run? What a sop to being "PC". Bah, humbug!
4. No engine redesign or serious "fixes" after the engines are submitted for approval at the beginning of the season? To keep racing "affordable"??? Please! I'm willing to bet that it cost just as much to try to "fix" a bad engine design within the rules as it would be to let teams change their design, having found out that they aren't really competitive, no matter what.
What knucklehead thought of THAT rule?
5. Some teams clearly need some help; why can't some more $$$ be given to teams that so sorely need it, rather than filling out the grid with car/drivers that serve best as backmarkers without hope of becoming more competitive, due to finances.?
6. Why no between-race practice sessions, or at least some testing partway thru the season? Why make teams guess what their updates can or cannot do, next race?
7. Some of the race stewards' penalties seem odd. Racing wheel-to-wheel isn't safe and will involve some miscalculations. I agree that anyone causing an intentional shunt ought to be penalized, but sometimes it just happens. Clearly unsafe driving should be dealt with as well, but lots of the penalties seem to be a bit severe, considering.

What I DO like: great photos from the cockpits & around the track; also nice to hear pit-to-driver conversations. Makes me feel more involved, somehow. At least gives a rough idea of what's going on.

I'm sure not everyone will agree with my list, and others would have even more stuff but should anyone wish to comment (as I'm sure some will) please feel free, either way.

Cheers,
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
you are sooo wrong, the cars do NOT sound like Envirudes, geez not even close. But everything else you said about the Briggs & Stratton series is correct and I agree.

post #3 of 9 Old 09-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
you are sooo wrong, the cars do NOT sound like Envirudes, geez not even close. But everything else you said about the Briggs & Stratton series is correct and I agree.

Agree with the op and they do sound like an Evinrude E-tec 175 - regardless no exhaust performance company is spending R&D to copy the new sounds of the F1.

I turn the sound off during an F1 race

post #4 of 9 Old 09-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
This is one of those things of - don't get me started.
First off, there are a lot of people who have the best intentions, but are wrong in what they think the cures are.
One of the aspects that many are wrong on is the idea of curbing cost. This usually means that a great deal of cost is spent on insignificant things that are not regulated. For example the end of front wings, how many times have we seen them damaged and not effect performance. And the answer is not to regulate that, but to open up regulation so it is spent on more useful.
People in racing are all adults and nobody is holding a gun to their head to make them do it, so enough about trying to save them money - or (this is controversial) themselves.
Racing today is too safe. No I don't want people killed, but now there is very little fear in it for the drivers so some of them do not mind making moves that could in years past gotten them or more important others killed. If a driver drove like Lewis Hamilton or Michael in the sixties - the other drivers would have pulled him from the car and kicked his ass - simply because they were putting others in danger (I blame this on Senna & Earnhart)
The big hub-ub at the moment is three car teams and customer cars. I read people who comment that if you take away the constructor part of the racing it will be the demise of it. Well the same could have been said about the engines, but I think the Ford DFs opened up the racing.
I believe for F1 - the pinnacle of racing - almost anything should be legal as long as the cars pass safety requirements. Moving aerodynamics, any engines, all the petro they want, tire wars, automatic transmissions, ground effects. The only thing that I am against which has finally come up - is radio and other transmissions. The driving and management of the car should be left to the driver

I never wanted to go into a gunfight with the cheapest gun!
post #5 of 9 Old 09-25-2014, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Well, looks like we're pretty much in agreement. Re the pit instructions (now nixed by Those In Charge) seems to me that Kimi dealt with unwelcome communications/advice fairly effectively last year. Wish his car was more competitive, but not just his, of course but others as well. Ricciardo seems to have made some inroads to the "Mercedes Juggernaut" if that's what one may call it... not enough for really close racing, though. Allowing more or less closed-in-concrete tracks like Singapore to be constructed doesn't help, either, since only misfortune or work tires results in a mixup of positions in such circumstances.

Whatever it takes to put on real racing at the F1 level should be done. Speaking of racing, what happened to the teams themselves qualifying for spots not just on the grid, but in the race itself? It works for Indycar races (or at least did; long time since I watched one) so why not open it up to the fastest qualifiers? To me just allowing only 11 preselected teams worldwide to compete doesn't make a lot of sense. Further, not all are actual car manufacturers... only ones are Mercedes, Ferrari, Lotus, McClaren and Caterham, unless I'm uninformed about the remaining 6 teams. And for all, only 3 manufacturers of powerplants. I guess in 2016 we'll have "Haas F1" but again he isn't a car manufacturer, either.

Lots of others out there... GM. Ford, Toyota, Honda and who knows who else? Renault is only supplying engines, not cars, unlike Mercedes and Ferrari.

Sorry to say, but at the current rate & trend, F1 is starting to go down the path of Formula B... for Boring. Even discounting the un-musical racket the cars produce.

Well, enough. Think about it. How do we get these guys' attention???

Cheers,
Rich
post #6 of 9 Old 09-25-2014, 01:42 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 590
I agree with many of your points, RichS, especially 1,3, and 4. I don't agree that F1 is now boring. The racing is some of the best in years. The drivers are are really having to drive these cars thanks to the new regulations. I love watching the best drivers in the world work their magic. I also find the technology in these new power units extremely interesting, which for me really adds to everything.

I really do wish they would fix the sound, and this double points race is ridiculous. Both of those should be fixed next year, though. We wouldn't have teams dominating like RB and Mercedes have if they would allow testing and power unit development.

BTW, Why do you think it's important for an F1 team to manufacture road cars?

Ciao Jules

Current Italian Bellas:
95 Alfa Romeo 164 LS, 1978 Fiat 124 Spider
Sometime in the Future: Red 308 GTS
post #7 of 9 Old 09-25-2014, 01:44 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 590
This is off topic, but why don't we have an F1 specific section?

Ciao Jules

Current Italian Bellas:
95 Alfa Romeo 164 LS, 1978 Fiat 124 Spider
Sometime in the Future: Red 308 GTS
post #8 of 9 Old 09-25-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoVeloce View Post
I agree with many of your points, RichS, especially 1,3, and 4. I don't agree that F1 is now boring. The racing is some of the best in years. The drivers are are really having to drive these cars thanks to the new regulations. I love watching the best drivers in the world work their magic. I also find the technology in these new power units extremely interesting, which for me really adds to everything.

I really do wish they would fix the sound, and this double points race is ridiculous. Both of those should be fixed next year, though. We wouldn't have teams dominating like RB and Mercedes have if they would allow testing and power unit development.

BTW, Why do you think it's important for an F1 team to manufacture road cars?
Well, we saw 4 years in a row with a soft-drink maker taking the constructors' title, handily. Now Mercedes is in the driver's seat, so to speak. I didn't really say that it's important for only car manufacturers to participate in F1, but still seems odd that most of the teams aren't extensions of car makers, chassis-wise. Why not? What's keeping them away, considering the exposure to the world public and so on?

Speaking of "some of the best drivers", etc. I feel that we'd see even better racing if some of the really good drivers- currently driving also-ran cars- could have better mounts. Better tracks (passing ability), better teams overall, less restrictions, both driving, manufacturing & testing, but enough to keep things relatively safe & organized. Let the chips fall where they may!

Some years ago, there was a rule that teams could either use normally aspirated fairly large engines, or else much smaller turbocharged ones, their choice. If development is one of the goals (as I believe it is) why not reinstate some sort of option, to let manufacturers come up with whatever they want, within the rules.

I think we can agree that there ought to be some changes, some fairly minor ones (if ANY rules are minor!) and some really fundamental ones. I'd like to see a lot more competitive racing, considering how many really good drivers there are...but few competitive cars for them to race. For now.

Speaking of better tracks, Austin looks like a really nice layout...none of this "racing in a glorified sewer pipe" mentality! I can't wait!

Cheers,
Rich
post #9 of 9 Old 09-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
I never claimed to be an expert in F1, but I fear that soon It will only attract F1 Rainman nerds and hat buyers. Here are some spontaneous questions to debate:

Why do we need pit stops? Carry more fuel and let the tyre manufacturers develop the optimum compounds to last the race, engines would be optimised accordingly?

They are not overtaking anyway, so why race for so long?

Make the tracks wider, more overtaking?

Have two races every season where each driver does 5 laps alone (at a weather stable location to make it equal)? Telemetry would tell who's really fast and who's advantaged/disadvantaged by his car?

Build huge commuting docks trackside, were buses swiftly shuttle in and out from key locations? Without a helicopter, on site F1 viewing is next to unbearable because of the cumbersome commuting.

I don't know, but this downpour of ever changing regulations doesn't seem to help attracting new fans. It takes a Rainman to keep up. Dinosaur-old Ecclestone settling his accusations with a sack of $ instead of juridical process followed by verdict, doesn't help either.

Top level racing perhaps needs a completely new formula?

Just some spontaneous ideas...

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode