Graphen -- new revolutionary carbon material ? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-01-2014, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Graphen -- new revolutionary carbon material ?

The physician Andre Konstantin Geim found that relatively new product in 2008 and co-won the Nobel Price in physics in 2010.
What is Graphen ? It is a carbon based material harder than Diamond, 300 times more unbreakable than steel, 30 times more "stretchy" than steel and 1 Million times thinner than a Piece of paper, kind like the first 2-dimensional material, Looks kind like a foil. It conducts heat and electricity extremely well and is absolutely impermeable for any gases.

First applications for it will be likely transistors. Researchers already constructed such a transistor with a thickness of 1 thenths of a nanometer and works under normal roomtemperatur (does not needs to be cooled down). A graphen transistor is 100 times faster than conventional ones which should translate to graphen computer chips settled computers, which will have much, much higher calculationsrate than we think of today.

A side effect of graphen is the great ability to store energy, which again will revolutionarize the ability of batteries to save energy to a higher degree and much longer.

Will it revolutionize the spreading of e-mobiles, home / factory energy techniques and much much more ? Is it dangerous for our climate (i.e. as it tends to spread fast thru i.e. water) ?

I'm no physician and definitively not able to structure all those informations regarding Graphen in a competent context, but my beliefs are such that if Graphen (or any other new produces material in that direction) is just half of what it seems to be it will change a lot energy source/storage wise.

Thoughts welcome !!

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50

Last edited by 212Export; 09-01-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Rolf, graphene would indeed revolutionize the established from energy to materials.
Amazing aspect is that it is abundant and inexpensive.

Humans are blazing the trails in technologies, but not sure with other aspects.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #3 of 14 Old 09-01-2014, 11:42 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 58
You could build a car of Graphen, monocoque design and utilise the property of the material to store its own power, possibly originally via solar or any other power source, do away with heavy batteries etc. Use aerodynamics to 'create' the weight of the car through downforce

When in doubt, GAS it !!

post #4 of 14 Old 09-02-2014, 12:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaPoppy View Post
You could build a car of Graphen
You cannot do such a thing at all. Not. At. All.

Graphene (mind the spelling) is ONE ATOM thick (0.335 nm). If we want to create a sheet that is 1 millimetre thick (!), we need

3 million!!

sheets of graphene. Just for the thickness.

It is unstable w.r.t. scrolling, naturally curling up on itself. This makes the sheets hard to use and produce. And when you think of "sheets", you should not think of aluminium foil or anything like that, they are maybe 1mm x 1mm. These are sheets on a molecular level.

The properties it has only work if it is 2-dimensional, i.e. you cannot add the layers together to form a sort of hyper carbonfibre. It is a nanomaterial, with potential applications in various areas but none are without hurdles. The largest transistor chip so far produced (2013) from graphene has 8 transistors. The CPU in your computer has 1 billion transistors.

We are nowhere near any practical application for graphene at this stage, and that is still many years away, according to what I read on the internet.

That doesn't mean it isn't exciting. But we need to see things in their proper context.

Onno

Potential applications of graphene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Graphene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: 550 Maranello
Present: None
Past: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello,
365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #5 of 14 Old 09-02-2014, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
You could build a car of Graphen, monocoque design and utilise the property of the material to store its own power, possibly originally via solar or any other power source, do away with heavy batteries etc. Use aerodynamics to 'create' the weight of the car through downforce
That "should" possible, no question.
I wonder how fast that will be / could be implemented into broad based car production. Would make new combustion engine cars "oldtimer's" right away ;-)
post #6 of 14 Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post

Graphene (mind the spelling) is ONE ATOM thick (0.335 nm). If we want to create a sheet that is 1 millimetre thick (!), we need

3 million!!

It is unstable w.r.t. scrolling, naturally curling up on itself. This makes the sheets hard to use and produce. And when you think of "sheets", you should not think of aluminium foil or anything like that, they are maybe 1mm x 1mm. These are sheets on a molecular level.

The properties it has only work if it is 2-dimensional, i.e. you cannot add the layers together to form a sort of hyper carbonfibre. It is a nanomaterial, with potential applications in various areas but none are without hurdles. The largest transistor chip so far produced (2013) from graphene has 8 transistors. The CPU in your computer has 1 billion transistors.

We are nowhere near any practical application for graphene at this stage, and that is still many years away, according to what I read on the internet.

That doesn't mean it isn't exciting. But we need to see things in their proper context.

Onno

What a shame, I did not do any research into the material, I guess I was simply dreaming out loud

When in doubt, GAS it !!
post #7 of 14 Old 09-02-2014, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post

3 million!!

Onno

Onno, thanks for your great Input. I'm happy to have a broad participation here on this theme.
I see your argument (2-dimensional foil Kind shape only) which so far has been a big hurdle to possible applications, however I have no doubt that they will be able to produce kind of many lyers of the foil above each other ?!

Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #8 of 14 Old 09-02-2014, 12:26 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 204
Graphene is the most chemically reactive form of carbon (due to 2D structure) and it starts to burn at low temperatures (at about 350 degrees Celsius). To add to that, is very, very, brittle, it has bad crack resistance, which means if graphene is under tensile or bending load, you won't see the indicators of crack, it will crack like glass. The solution for this would be reinforcing it with some other material, of course, it there is a reason to do it, because it is 300 times unbreakable than regular steel at that thickness (thickness of 1-atom layer graphene).

I predict in 5-10 years there could be a breakthrough with this material, if more evaluations are being done in order to really know the material and how it reacts under different environments...
post #9 of 14 Old 09-02-2014, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
What a shame, I did not do any research into the material, I guess I was simply dreaming out loud
Your dream will be fulfilled, probably. Great "creative" thinking btw !

post #10 of 14 Old 09-02-2014, 12:36 AM

Search - ASM International

This is the reference site, ASM international is the mother for materials science and all related to it. There are some interesting articles and you can see the dates of their releases (mainy from 2011-to now), which implies this is at the very beginning, really.

EDIT:
This is the second site I frequently visit.
http://phys.org/search/?search=Graphene
post #11 of 14 Old 09-02-2014, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZy View Post
Search - ASM International

This is the reference site, ASM international is the mother for materials science and all related to it. There are some interesting articles and you can see the dates of their releases (mainy from 2011-to now), which implies this is at the very beginning, really.

EDIT:
This is the second site I frequently visit.
Phys.org Search - Graphene

Many thanks for the links. Are you a physician or business wise related to research on this field ?

post #12 of 14 Old 09-02-2014, 01:06 AM

That is what the professors taught us at lectures, I am a mechanical engineer to be.
This autumn starts my 2nd academic year on the Faculty in Zagreb, pursuing my dream to be in automotive industry.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-02-2014, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZy View Post
That is what the professors taught us at lectures, I am a mechanical engineer to be.
This autumn starts my 2nd academic year on the Faculty in Zagreb, pursuing my dream to be in automotive industry.
Good luck then and thanks in advance for future interesting discussions and Inputs !
post #14 of 14 Old 09-02-2014, 02:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,337
Forget all the technical talk,
Can Grahene make me stronger, younger looking,
Or can it make my Spider's shine more lustrous?

Now, before you laugh, I am an actual Material Scientist.
And micro-sized particles are at the heart of most polishes.
The stronger, younger looking comment was just for added levity....

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode