F50 the forgotten Ferrari Super-Car - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-29-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 32
F50 the forgotten Ferrari Super-Car

When you think of Ferrari super-cars what comes to mind, the LaFerrari, Enzo or even the F40? But I have found out that many people completely skim over the F50, why is that?

This article helps explain,

LaFerrari, Enzo, F40... and the F50 | Schnell List

Why do you think people tend to forget the F50?

Schnell List - The Ultimate Automotive Classified Search Engine for the Ultimate Car Enthusiast - No cost to list your car with Schnell List - www.schnelllist.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-29-2014, 12:02 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
Garage
The first three that come to my mind are 288GTO, F40 and Testarossa, despite the 3rd maybe not really in that family...

Наздраве, Цветан!
post #3 of 12 Old 08-29-2014, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsvetan View Post
The first three that come to my mind are 288GTO, F40 and Testarossa, despite the 3rd maybe not really in that family...
Ya its interesting to see that so many people completely skip over the F50 when it was the ultimate super car in the 1990s. I do the same thing, when I think of Ferrari I go straight to the F40 then the 288GTO then the 458

Schnell List - The Ultimate Automotive Classified Search Engine for the Ultimate Car Enthusiast - No cost to list your car with Schnell List - www.schnelllist.com

post #4 of 12 Old 08-30-2014, 01:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,337
Since I first saw one in Barcelona in 95, I have always thought of the F50 first.
The others are fantastic cars, but in my mind, the F50 is really their only supercar.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-01-2014, 06:36 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
For me it'll always be the F50 and F40...F50 because of the savage noise...especially when fitted with a proper exhaust:

J-WOLF F50 in suzukacircuit - YouTube

And F40 for it's own obvious reasons. It's a complete animal (and better looking).
post #6 of 12 Old 09-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnelllist View Post
When you think of Ferrari super-cars what comes to mind, the LaFerrari, Enzo or even the F40? But I have found out that many people completely skim over the F50, why is that?
I think this opinion has changed radically in the last 10 years, particularly due to the legendary article in EVO, but probably also due to the lovely F50 owners we have on FerrariLife that share their experiences. That article in EVO (288 vs F40 vs F50 vs Enzo) is a must-read, BTW, get a copy of it! 28 pages (IRRC) of heaven.

A similar story can be told about the 288GTO, BTW, they were much cheaper than F40's only 7 years ago.

Mainly, the lack of appreciation of the F50 had to do with the timing of its release, the less than perfect looks (although most will say they improve over time), the very difficult act to follow, the very limited numbers, lack of access to F50 owners to tell you about them (the internet has changed SO MUCH!), and probably more.

Fact is - anyone who has practical experience with F50's will not skim over them. Period. Doesn't matter what background they have. The F50 is a phenomenon, and quite unique in the experience it can give to its driver. Nothing else like it. Literally. There is no other supercar that was made along the same design philosophy.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: 550 Maranello
Present: None
Past: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello,
365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #7 of 12 Old 09-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I think this opinion has changed radically in the last 10 years, particularly due to the legendary article in EVO, but probably also due to the lovely F50 owners we have on FerrariLife that share their experiences. That article in EVO (288 vs F40 vs F50 vs Enzo) is a must-read, BTW, get a copy of it! 28 pages (IRRC) of heaven.

A similar story can be told about the 288GTO, BTW, they were much cheaper than F40's only 7 years ago.

Mainly, the lack of appreciation of the F50 had to do with the timing of its release, the less than perfect looks (although most will say they improve over time), the very difficult act to follow, the very limited numbers, lack of access to F50 owners to tell you about them (the internet has changed SO MUCH!), and probably more.

Fact is - anyone who has practical experience with F50's will not skim over them. Period. Doesn't matter what background they have. The F50 is a phenomenon, and quite unique in the experience it can give to its driver. Nothing else like it. Literally. There is no other supercar that was made along the same design philosophy.

Onno
You are a great F 50 advocate, Onno !!

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #8 of 12 Old 09-01-2014, 07:18 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
You are a great F 50 advocate, Onno !!
May the Forza be with me, Master.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #9 of 12 Old 09-01-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:

Onno
+1

I also think they look much, much better with the roof on it.

The only car that can even remotely compare in design philosophy is the Carrera GT IMO. F1/Le Mans still born engine and Le Mans still born chassis with a (in my opinion, but not quite so popular) beautiful body wrapped around it.

Surely 2 of the greatest drivings cars, those 2.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Jaski View Post
Surely 2 of the greatest drivings cars, those 2.
Not so sure about the CGT as a driver's car - the chassis is not the greatest. No real life experience to draw from, though, but that is what I hear too frequently to ignore. It seems on the limit she is generally disliked. But I have never driven either.

Onno

365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #11 of 12 Old 09-01-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Not so sure about the CGT as a driver's car - the chassis is not the greatest. No real life experience to draw from, though, but that is what I hear too frequently to ignore. It seems on the limit she is generally disliked. But I have never driven either.

Onno
The Michelin Pilot Super Sports have allegedly completely transformed the car and allows to be quite predictable on the limit.

I hear complaints too but a lot of it's down to the clutch, and subsequent inability of people to use it. The car is fitted with anti stall which will do the throttle work to get rolling (even on a steep incline), but touching the throttle will disable the system hence leaving people have trouble really using it properly.

No experience with the car either, but having read opinions of people I trust know what they're doing makes me confident it really is one of the greats.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Owner

OK, cool, would love to have some first-hand experience to stave either opinion.

Onno

365BB x 2,
330GTC

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode