Review - OBD2 WiFi Code Reader & Software - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 08-21-2014, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
Review - OBD2 WiFi Code Reader & Software

I have seen a lot of buzz about Bluetooth and WiFie OBD2 adapters that you merely plug into the OBD connector and then using your smartphone you can connect to it and given you have the software on your phone, you can read / reset codes ... and a lot of other nifty things.

I did not want to spend a great deal of money and read a review of a Chinese product called the Vgate iCar2 OBD adapter. Comes in Bluetooth or WiFi. If you have an Android phone, you get the BT model. If you have an iOS device, you get the WiFi. Also comes in your choice of colors. There are other devices, but I am not going to buy and review them all.

If you have iOS device, most reviews tell you to get the WiFi as iOS is pretty fussy about Bluetooth connections. Some software supports WiFi and some support Bluetooth. For example, if you have Android device, you get Bluetooth and the recommended software that I saw was Torque-Pro from Google / Android app store.

I have an iPhone5s and an iPad. Got the WiFi version and downloaded software called DashCommand ($10) and EOBD-Facile (free) from Apple's App Store.

First time to connect used the iPad. Connected OK. Did a code read and it did not find any permanent or pending codes. Using the software you can put various gauges on your iPad/iPhone. I find this of limiting usefulness ... more of toy. But, kinda cool. I did not try it, but it looks like it does data logging as well.

The EOBD-Facile software is free, but when you try access something useful, you get a message that you need to get your credit card out and buy the upgraded version.

DashCommand did not recognize that were two ECUs and a TCU sitting behind the OBD plug. EOBD-Facile did see that as has an option that you can tell it you have a Ferrari. I email the developers of DashCommand asking about the ability of the product to see both ECUs. They did not know that Ferrari's had dual ECUs.

For the money, not too bad and more than likely if you were to get the upgraded EOBD-Facile software you might have greater flexibility and function.

Now for bad news. The Vgate iCar is pretty cheap ... you can find it for around $25 or so. I found that connecting is sketchy. One time it works fine, the next it doesn't. I connected once and it dropped connection mid way. Real time response time is slow, but that may be function of the OBD circuitry in the car and not the device or software.

Bottom line, if you do not have too high expectations, it would not be a bad thing to carry the adapter in your car (wireless and smaller than a deck of cards) and then when on the road you can read any CEL/DTC that might pop up.

Regards,
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-22-2014, 08:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
I have a cheap generic ELM327 device(blue tooth ODBII adapter) that I bought on Ebay for under $10 and loaded Torque pro($5) on my Android phone. Works great and I do keep in the glove box on my daily driver.

Best $15 I've ever spent!!!

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #3 of 3 Old 08-22-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
From talking to others, I get the impression that Android devices provide better results than iOS devices. This may be a factor of the OS or it may be the application.

I hear that Torque is one of the best apps for OBD code reading. Unfortunately for me, only available for android OS.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode