Ferrari blues - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-20-2014, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 795
Ferrari blues

Ok guys help needed
Blues? My next two f cars will be blue I think.
My plan was to match the blue on the Modena flag.
But may go for another.
Anyone have a colour swatch of the blues classic and modern?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-20-2014, 08:12 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Paul- Ferrari had a lot of color chips tied together in the olden days so someone should have those. I have a bunch of color stuff from later, but most are not color true. This may be the best way to compare colors:

Ferrari Colors

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-20-2014, 08:57 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 931
Can't go wrong with Blu Pozzi or Nuovo Blu Pozzi.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-21-2014, 02:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
What do you think of Ben Treynor's blue and yellow livery? Is that what you mean when you are picturing the Modena flag?

David.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali
post #5 of 19 Old 07-21-2014, 04:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,007
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
Ok guys help needed
Blues? My next two f cars will be blue I think.
My plan was to match the blue on the Modena flag.
But may go for another.
Anyone have a colour swatch of the blues classic and modern?
Thanks in advance

Paul, I could not be more completely with you: my Cadillac CTS is dark blue, my Maserati Spyder is blu nettuno, my 412 is blu chiaro, my 575M is blu Tour de France and the F355 berlinetta that I sent to a new trustee last December is blu scuro micalizzato. As much as I love TdF blu, this last is by far the most beautiful blue finish I've ever seen. But very, very rare. I thought for a while that it was a color available only to Ferrari collector and connoisseur Peter Kalikow who was the first owner of my F355, but I've recently seen the color on a 456, the only other Ferrari I've ever seen in this color. The below photos of my old F355 do not do the paint justice.
Attached Images

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #6 of 19 Old 07-21-2014, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16M Down Under View Post
What do you think of Ben Treynor's blue and yellow livery? Is that what you mean when you are picturing the Modena flag?

David.
My plan was close to a reverse version, more blue than yellow.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
Paul, I could not be more completely with you: my Cadillac CTS is dark blue, my Maserati Spyder is blu nettuno, my 412 is blu chiaro, my 575M is blu Tour de France and the F355 berlinetta that I sent to a new trustee last December is blu scuro micalizzato. As much as I love TdF blu, this last is by far the most beautiful blue finish I've ever seen. But very, very rare. I thought for a while that it was a color available only to Ferrari collector and connoisseur Peter Kalikow who was the first owner of my F355, but I've recently seen the color on a 456, the only other Ferrari I've ever seen in this color. The below photos of my old F355 do not do the paint justice.
The top picture looks a super colour
post #8 of 19 Old 07-21-2014, 06:43 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
The top picture looks a super colour

Precisely Paul, the second photo was taken in poor light with Judith's cell phone. This paint is the only one I can recall ever seeing that I'd describe as 'deep' in the sense that one seems to be peering into the finish. If I could refinish my 575M with the certainty that it had factory-finish primer, bonding and completion, all at a reasonable cost ( ) I'd colour her blu scuro micalizzato in a New York minute.

Seth
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

post #9 of 19 Old 07-28-2014, 10:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Paul- Ferrari had a lot of color chips tied together in the olden days so someone should have those. I have a bunch of color stuff from later, but most are not color true. This may be the best way to compare colors:

Ferrari Colors
While this is much,much better than looking at colour chips usually no bigger than a square inch, the problem remains that the result is so dependent on the lighting of the subject / the camera settings, e.g. the 2 photos of Roso Corsa look like 3 different shades of red! Seth's two photos of his 355 illustrate the same problem - first one looks absolutely fabulous, second one very ordinary

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #10 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 06:51 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16M Down Under View Post
What do you think of Ben Treynor's blue and yellow livery? Is that what you mean when you are picturing the Modena flag? David.

Also Ukraine's national colors and flag.

The Bolshoi Ballet opens its brief visit to Saratoga Springs this evening at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center. Judith and I will attend. This trip the Bolshoi performs only in Saratoga Springs, New York City and Washington, D.C.

Also in attendance this evening, we understand, will be some Ukrainian protesters! Art and politics!

Seth

post #11 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Also Ukraine's national colors and flag.

The Bolshoi Ballet opens its brief visit to Saratoga Springs this evening at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center. Judith and I will attend. This trip the Bolshoi performs only in Saratoga Springs, New York City and Washington, D.C.

Also in attendance this evening, we understand, will be some Ukrainian protesters! Art and politics!
I do have more of an closer connection with Ukraine, but now since the flag seems to stand for fascists I will give that idea a miss
post #12 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 08:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 739
Dear Paul,

You already know my choice for blue, I have the Sikkens code if you would like it.

Best regards,

Photo by Ned Lawler - Pebble Beach 2008
Attached Images

Robert

Past: 500 Mondial S2 0556(0446)/MD owned 58 years from June 1960 to August 2018
post #13 of 19 Old 07-30-2014, 06:29 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
I do have more of an closer connection with Ukraine, but now since the flag seems to stand for fascists I will give that idea a miss

Oh Paul, I don't want to turn this into a political thread but fascist, really? Certainly from the Russian viewpoint one can understand the link and this propaganda sobriquet since many Ukrainians fought for Germany in WWII and were eager participants in the execution of Germany's Holocaust program. But calling Ukraine fascist today is Putin's Russian song.

Seth

post #14 of 19 Old 07-30-2014, 06:33 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
Dear Paul, You already know my choice for blue, I have the Sikkens code if you would like it. Best regards, Photo by Ned Lawler - Pebble Beach 2008

Good morning, mon Amiral! wonderful to see your Mondial again. Remember, you still owe Judith and me rides. How about the August 2015 FCA meeting in Monterey immediately following the Pebble Beach/Laguna Seca gathering?

Seth

post #15 of 19 Old 07-30-2014, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Oh Paul, I don't want to turn this into a political thread but fascist, really? Certainly from the Russian viewpoint one can understand the link and this propaganda sobriquet since many Ukrainians fought for Germany in WWII and were eager participants in the execution of Germany's Holocaust program. But calling Ukraine fascist today is Putin's Russian song.
Ok yea of course if they dont agree with the Kiev junta its Putin saying it?
I am living with this whole war in the east on a daily basis, talk to people who are hiding in basements from the shells of the west supported Kiev government, why not just allow them to govern themselves? also wont take this further, but i lived worked and am married to a eastern ukrainain who has all her family there, they all speak Russian live like Russians as they are bloody Russians.
They want independence and that especially Americans should understand!
Rant over, please tell me about things you do have hands on experience over and above CNN
post #16 of 19 Old 07-30-2014, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
Dear Paul,

You already know my choice for blue, I have the Sikkens code if you would like it.

Best regards,

Photo by Ned Lawler - Pebble Beach 2008
Now you got me thinking!
I adore it!
tell me more Sir Goodwrench
post #17 of 19 Old 07-31-2014, 04:33 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Ok yea of course if they dont agree with the Kiev junta its Putin saying it?
I am living with this whole war in the east on a daily basis, talk to people who are hiding in basements from the shells of the west supported Kiev government, why not just allow them to govern themselves? also wont take this further, but i lived worked and am married to a eastern ukrainain who has all her family there, they all speak Russian live like Russians as they are bloody Russians.
They want independence and that especially Americans should understand!
Rant over, please tell me about things you do have hands on experience over and above CNN

Rant heard. Very hard to argue with hands-on experience, Paul, something I haven't got regarding Ukraine. Save that my wife's mother was born in what is now [west] Ukraine, a Holocaust survivor transported in 1943 to slave labor in a German munitions factory bei Hamburg, thence to Bergen-Belsen for 'disposal' from which she was liberated by the Brits in April 1945. D.P. camp, 'repatriated' to Prague and came to U.S. with my wife (then age 17) in 1965. Still with us and living in a senior residence three minutes from me, age 97.

All of that said, to my less-informed mind it seems too facile automatically to call Ukraine gov't fascist. Is today's German government fascist? The U.S.?

Seth

post #18 of 19 Old 07-31-2014, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Seth discussion for off here, but hear you fully. Search the azov battalion and it's insignia to start,
The west of Ukraine still think bandera was a hero! Your wife's mother was probably hearded by his men. Even hitler thought he was too extreme .There was and is a serious fascist following in the west of Ukraine. And that's who is driving the troubles.
Any how's back to nice blues in ferraris we are lucky to enjoy such things
post #19 of 19 Old 07-31-2014, 09:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 739
Quote:
Now you got me thinking!
I adore it!
tell me more Sir Goodwrench
Dear Paul,

The really long story is at http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/pr...eries-2-a.html

The short story is the car was initially sold to a Frenchman and in the fifties you raced your country's racing colors, hence it was painted "French Racing Blue." Over the years it was painted different colors and during the conservation project we found samples of the original paint unsullied by sun, rain, UV etc. Preparing for the intense judging at Pebble Beach we knew that the modern base coat/clear coat finish would cost us points so we found a single stage urethane which. after application, was not wet sanded or polished. End result was a judged 100 point car and countless trophies. The finished product is rather amazing to me, for in different light conditions the car color seems very different and at times almost luminescent.

Best regards,
Attached Images

Robert

Past: 500 Mondial S2 0556(0446)/MD owned 58 years from June 1960 to August 2018

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode