Collecting and Investing - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 227
Collecting and Investing

Collecting and Investing

In a market for Collectable Cars that is a tree growing to the sky I'm hoping to demystify the process and help people understand what I think is going on.

I'd also did a show for "Fast Lane Daily" that will touch on these issues and air a week from Saturday.

Jim Glickenhaus Is Doing A Show About Classics And It Sounds Awesome

If you guys have any thoughts let me know.

412 P 0854/330 P 3/4 0846/166s 002C
Dino Competizione/Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina
P 4/5 Competizione/Ford MK-IV J6/Lola SL71-32
Duesenberg J446/Studz DV32/Baja Boot

Last edited by Napolis; 06-11-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Jim, thanx. However, I seem to have problems with your link. Could be something on my side.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #3 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Jimmy - I had trouble w/ the link in Internet Explorer, but not Chrome. Try that.

Jim, I think it is a cool idea, but there is one aspect that is a little (searching for the right word . . .) dissonant for me. I always hold you out as the model of a collector who has it right - looking for/obtaining the the right car that speaks to you, and then loving it/driving it - any talk of "value" is a distant consideration, especially since you are not selling. I have little or no empathy/connection w/ people who buy Ferraris of any year as investments - to me, they are wholly missing the point. It will be a little weird hearing you talk about cars as investments, despite your day job!

I also come at this as one who bought/restored a 60s 2+2 when it made no economic sense at all; there are many of us who have been on Tom Yang's site for years that restore these cars because we love them and acknowledge their important part in Ferrari history. As I see it, the best aspect of the current market cycle is that the rate of cannibalism - chopping up GTEs and 330GTs to make fakes - will slow/stop.

Rant over, and I will be interested to see the show!

post #4 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 08:12 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 204
I had no problems when browsing on google chrome

I won't give my opinion, but I fully understand what bryanp is trying to say.

Interesting idea, if there will be some net stream, I will be more than happy to watch the show.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post
Jimmy - I had trouble w/ the link in Internet Explorer, but not Chrome. Try that.

Jim, I think it is a cool idea, but there is one aspect that is a little (searching for the right word . . .) dissonant for me. I always hold you out as the model of a collector who has it right - looking for/obtaining the the right car that speaks to you, and then loving it/driving it - any talk of "value" is a distant consideration, especially since you are not selling. I have little or no empathy/connection w/ people who buy Ferraris of any year as investments - to me, they are wholly missing the point. It will be a little weird hearing you talk about cars as investments, despite your day job!

I also come at this as one who bought/restored a 60s 2+2 when it made no economic sense at all; there are many of us who have been on Tom Yang's site for years that restore these cars because we love them and acknowledge their important part in Ferrari history. As I see it, the best aspect of the current market cycle is that the rate of cannibalism - chopping up GTEs and 330GTs to make fakes - will slow/stop.

Totally. Firstly like many things that the media picks up how they portray it isn't necessarily how it will be. This isn't my show, it's a show I'll be on and as always will say exactly what I think. Here's the comment I made about the press release

"This won't be about investing in cars. It will be about collecting and using cars and what ones may be a better value in this crazy market. We'll go into auctions/private sales/restoration/maintenance/enjoying/showing/tracking/road tours/rallies/but not what to buy if all you care about is making money. I haven't sold a collector car for 44 years and I regret have sold that one.
JG"

As always I try to demystify things and point our that car passion may or may not turn out to be profitable but the most important thing is understanding what you really want to do with this hobby and enjoying the ride as opposed to the destination what ever it may or may not be.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Roger that!!
post #7 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Guys, thanx.

And roger, roger that, although I still have not evolved enough with full of imperfections.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #8 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Are you guys gonna argue throughout the whole show? Seems like the only thing that makes it on air.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #9 of 10 Old 06-12-2014, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Are you guys gonna argue throughout the whole show? Seems like the only thing that makes it on air.
No this will simply be about the importance of returning to the roots of passion and not about arguing.

post #10 of 10 Old 06-12-2014, 04:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post

Spot on Bryan. I could not have said it better.

Jim, congrats on the new gig and I wish you well.

With respect to investments (if anyone is interested), I have a Canadian coin collection for sale, much of it is sterling silver. Sorry for the hijack Jim.

Last edited by 360 Modena; 06-12-2014 at 04:47 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode