Need help and advice - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 05-29-2014, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
Need help and advice

Hello,
I am a new and will post pictures and details of my F430 2006 Berlinetta in the appropriate area when I have axcess to the computer that contains them. I have owned the car since September 2012. The car is mint and had 3,300 miles at purchase and now has 6300. I usually take it for a spin once a week. The clutch at purchase had only 11% wear.

I live outside Jacksonville in Ponte Vedra Beach. There is no dealer here. The closes is Orlando, 2.5 hours away. I bought the car in Ft. Lauderdale, 5.5 jours away.

About a month ago I noticed a problem. The car has the F 1 Transmission. Driven cold, using the paddle shifter or automatic, it runs fine. After about 30 minutes, it starts missing 2nd gear, sort of like neutral. You need to double pop it into 3rd, or in auto, wait for it to catch. This continues and then sometimes it takes?

I took it local to an after market shop that I have known for years that handles many Ferrari's and Porsches. However, they do not want to touch it until they can get more information.

Can anyone please offer me any advice or information as to what this might be?

Thanks so much in advance,
sincerely,
Phil Dade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Phil- Welcome to Ferrari Life.

You need someone with an SD3 to do the analysis of your F1 system. There could be multiple reasons why she is selecting neutral instead of 2nd, some very inexpensive, and some not. With any luck, changing F1 fluid and bleeding, together with resetting point of initial slippage (PIS) will fix the problem. Going into neutral is the safety system for F1 so you do not end up stuck somewhere in gear and stalled. Many things can cause her to select neutral, and an SD3 (or Leonardo equivalent) is the only way to make sure you find the real problem

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-29-2014, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks,

Thanks so much Terry. I will look into as you suggest. Best regards and I will get some pictures up asap, sincerely,
Phil
Phil Dade

post #4 of 25 Old 05-29-2014, 03:52 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
could be something as simple as a sensor. Beware the parts sellers.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 25 Old 05-29-2014, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner

2nd gear problem

Thanks. I spoke with my local shop and he did what Terry suggested but could not Id the problem. He thought best to send to Orlando, 150 miles each way. I spoke to the dealer in Orlando and they have a more in depth program which will ID the problem hopefully. However, the service manager at the dealer said he hoped and thought it would be as Terry indicated. Needless to say, There was a disclaimer.

Tomorrow I will arrange trucking to Orlando with the dealer. Hopefully he can combine with some other person here needing service as the truck holds two cars.

I appreciate the input. Thanks,Phil

BTW, I put a few pics in a public album.

Phil Dade
F 430 Berlinetta owner
post #6 of 25 Old 05-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
It's possible that a bleed of the F1 system, a bleed of the f1 actuator, fork adjustment and an actuator calibration procedure could remedy the issue. Otherwise, you'll be looking at a new f1 actuator, most likely.
post #7 of 25 Old 05-29-2014, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for the info Joah. Realize this is only second and only when warm.. However, it is not consistent so maybe it is something like you suggest. Any idea approximately what a new F 1 actuator runs? Also, it this somewhat common?
thanks,

Phil Dade
F 430 Berlinetta owner
post #8 of 25 Old 05-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Master Mechanic

That is why I suspect the actuator it's self. The procedure to R&R the actuator and bleed/calibrate it during normal service is frequently overlooked and leads to failure down the road.They are usually around $5k plus labor and fluids, but Ferrari likes to change pricing often so it's hard to say, could be $6k plus the labor and fluids etc.

Actuator failure isn't common to the point where I would let it make you fearful of the cost of ownership, but this wouldn't be the first one that has ever failed. If you do find yourself needing to replace it, make sure that a bleed & calibration of the actuator is performed every couple years with your big fluids service in an effort to prevent this from happening sooner than later again.
post #9 of 25 Old 05-29-2014, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks

Thanks Josh, Ugh! To be continued.

Phil Dade
F 430 Berlinetta owner
post #10 of 25 Old 05-30-2014, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Pick up scheduled

I scheduled a pick up next Friday and off she goes to Orlando.. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it can be the bleeding and reset. I know they will want a service since but it has only been 3300 miles with an Oil change just 1300 ago.

Thanks again to Terry and Josh for the information.

Phil Dade
F 430 Berlinetta owner
post #11 of 25 Old 05-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Master Mechanic

Keep us abreast, curious to hear what the dealer has to say about it.
post #12 of 25 Old 05-31-2014, 10:21 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Phil- If it does turn out to be an actuator, which I hope it is not, Ferrari of Seattle now has the capability to rebuild the actuators much more cheaply than replacing one.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #13 of 25 Old 05-31-2014, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thx

Terry- ok thanks . I do not know how Ferrari of Orlando might react to that? The earliest I might know something is a week from Monday. It sucks not having a local dealer. However, this is the very worst town for dealerships and buying cars. All mine are bought on phone and most out of town!
Thanks,
Phil
post #14 of 25 Old 06-12-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Problem solved and others discovered and averted

First thanks to everyone. Here is the story, the clutch bleed block was badly cracked and the center bleed actuator screw was loose. The actuator itself was fine. Replaced block, tightened screw and calibrated, fixed. All points (62) for 6K service addressed. Minor leak with valve covers addressed with gaskets discovering 4 timing variator solenoids leaking oil. While functioning, I was advised with will lead to timing issues in future and check engine light. I felt best to replace....These were like 3 grand! Finally, on a lucky note, they found a crack in the headers and replaced with new upgraded factory headers under warranty. Had I waited a month or two to address the shifting issue, the warranty would have expired.

I should have the car back tomorrow, Friday the 13th. While quite expensive, I am very impressed with the Ferrari service and communication. This was not the dealership where I bought the car. One thing that bother me is the fact that I bought the car from a dealership. I bought the car in Sept 2012. If Ferrari knew that they had a header problem in 05,06, and 07, why did the dealership not put new headers on the car, or why did Ferrari not insist all be changed. A friend bought an 07 and before purchase had this dealership that just serviced my car inspect it. They replaced his headers before he bought the car from a 3rd party.

all the best,
Phil

Phil Dade
F 430 Berlinetta owner

Last edited by Phil Dade; 06-13-2014 at 03:48 AM. Reason: correct date of purchase
post #15 of 25 Old 06-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Phil- Even the new headers have a tendency to crack because the exhaust mounts are too solid and do not allow for expansion. Down the road, you might consider replacing those with Capristo mounts that do account for heat expansion.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #16 of 25 Old 06-13-2014, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Capristo headers or just mounts? Ugh,you would think Ferrari?

Phil Dade
F 430 Berlinetta owner
post #17 of 25 Old 06-13-2014, 09:46 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Phil- Just the mounts. With those, your new OEM headers should be good forever.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #18 of 25 Old 06-13-2014, 10:35 AM
Master Mechanic

That would certainly do it Phil, hopefully the service the car receives this trip is carried out a bit more carefully.

I usually replace the variator solenoids during a valve cover reseal as well. It is necessary to pull the covers to replace the solenoids and if the connectors are saturated in oil, it's a matter of when not if as far as solenoid failure goes.
post #19 of 25 Old 06-13-2014, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Josh. The car is back and looks good and runs great. They actually recalibrated the F 1 shifting as it was out of spec. The car sounds great, runs great and shifting is more responsive. They really went over the car and I am pleased. I barely got it home before the rain!

thanks for you advise and input,
all the best,
Phil

Phil Dade
F 430 Berlinetta owner

Last edited by Phil Dade; 06-14-2014 at 05:22 AM.
post #20 of 25 Old 06-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode