I Now Rise In Praise of the Mondial 3.2 Coupe! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-30-2014, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
I Now Rise In Praise of the Mondial 3.2 Coupe!

Everybody should have one in the carport and just drive it. I've had mine a year and 5,000 miles and smiles every way possible. It cost half what the two seater costs with exactly the same mechanicals. In addition this is one elegant machine for two people with luggage. The parcel shelves are cleverly designed to look just like seats but were clearly intended for my Binelli trap gun case and accessories. And enough headroom for my cowboy hat.

The 3.2 QV engine is inexplicable good. It has a modest 270 hp which means you can actually use full throttle for more then one or two seconds. And it is the most pleasantly docile engine I have ever had. Idle off in first, then use third or fourth in your favorite mountain roads all day long at a measly 3,000 - 4,000 rpm and still pretend to be Fangio. Avoid the lesser engines.

And the 3.2 QV Coupe is rather rare. Less then 1,000 units between 1985 and 1988. The body style was produced in abundance from 1982 - 1993 but most of those are ugly convertibles or use a lesser engine. Total Mondial production of all types is less then 6,000 units. A bit less then the total 348s produced between 1989 and 1993.

I do not vouch for the exact production numbers and invite correction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Glad you are enjoying her, but I do not think the Cabriolets are ugly. Production numbers:
Mondial 8: 703
Mondial QV: 1145
Mondial QV Cab: 629
Mondial 3.2: 987
Mondial 3.2 Cab: 810
Mondial T: 840
Mondial T Cab: 1010

Not rare, but then none of the late, regular production Ferraris are.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-30-2014, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Nice Data

Hi Taz,

Thanks for the specifics. And I have read Ferrari is limiting production to 7,000 cars per year, and has a two year backlog in the US. Interestingly, I believe that is more then the entire Mondial production from 1982 to 1993. [The Mondial 8 and Dino 308 GT-4 have the earlier Bertoni [?] body.

Clearly I do not understand the used Ferrari market. However, I certainly have benefitted from that same market. My 3.2 Mondial is a perfect daily driver. In as much as ANY Ferrari is a good daily driver. By that I mean it has a roomy cabin, lots of baggage space, really nice engine with relatively simple and effective mechanical fuel injection and not much in the way of complicated electronics.

Further, I was able to convince my local hot rod guy to do the clutch, which I scattered due to my own intemperate behaviour last year. He also changed out the starter. Our 3xx starters are infamous for heat failure. This is mostly due to inadequate wiring and can easily be addressed with a cheap relay. In my case a new starter was enough. At least for the time being. It is a NAPA part.

I concede the Cabriolet esthetics are a matter of personal preference.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-30-2014, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Taz - Off Topic

RE "Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day."

Am I correct you might be a CCW sort of guy? I must confess I have settled on a Mouse Gun. Black Widow .22 LR with Aquilla 60grn SSS. I have a couple of good .380s but can not hit anything with them past about 15 feet.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-30-2014, 02:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapalyea View Post
Taz - Off Topic

RE "Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day."

Am I correct you might be a CCW sort of guy? I must confess I have settled on a Mouse Gun. Black Widow .22 LR with Aquilla 60grn SSS. I have a couple of good .380s but can not hit anything with them past about 15 feet.
My understanding, could be wrong, Terry was in the Air Force, up there in the sky.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #6 of 6 Old 04-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
The 308 GT4 (Bertone) and Mondial 8 (Pininfarina) had completely different bodies. The Mondial 8 has the same body as the rest of the Mondial family, with detail differences. WThe Mondial 8 was pretty underpowered and was one of the reasons the 308 QV engine was introduced initially on the Mondial QV. But Ferrari was also moving to 4 valves per cylinder in all their models, V8 and V12 (180 deg V12).

I flew F-111s for the USAF for nearly 20 years, including combat in the first unpleasantness in the Gulf.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode