Stefano Domenicali quits as boss of Ferrari F1 team - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-14-2014, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Stefano Domenicali quits as boss of Ferrari F1 team

WOW!

Ferrari: Stefano Domenicali quits as boss of F1 team

Stefano Domenicali has resigned as the team principal of Ferrari with immediate effect.
The Italian team have struggled at the start of the current season and have failed to register a podium finish in the opening three races.
Domenicali had been in charge since taking over from Jean Todt in 2008 but the 48-year-old will now be replaced by Marco Mattiacci.
The next F1 race is the Chinese Grand Prix on 20 April.

BBC Sport - Ferrari: Stefano Domenicali quits as boss of F1 team

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-14-2014, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

"There are special moments that come along in everyone's professional life, when one needs courage to take difficult and very agonising decisions," said Domenicali. "It is time for a significant change. As the boss, I take responsibility, as I have always done, for our current situation.

"This decision has been taken with the aim of doing something to shake things up and for the good of this group of people that I feel very close to. Finally, I would make the final thanks to our President for having always supported and a salute to all the fans with the regret of not having gathered how hard sown in these years."

ESPN's F1 branch first reported the major development:

Domenicali, who has come under mounting pressure during Ferrari's disappointing start to the current season, is expected to be replaced by Marco Mattiacci, according to Leo Turrini and via freelance journalist Dimi Papadopoulos:

Currently on their worst winless run for 18 years, reported by Ian Darke of the Press Association and via the Daily Mail, Ferrari's dominance has been ousted by Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull across the last four seasons.

Indeed, seven campaigns have whizzed past since the Italian company landed their last Drivers' Championship. Kimi Raikkonen's 2007 triumph was the team's last overall success, perhaps amplified by the Finnish driver's return this season. Ferrari won six of eight titles between 2000-07, highlighting a huge shift in the F1 landscape across previous years.

Domenicali admitted his team need to improve "at all levels" after the recent Malaysian Grand Prix, per Darke. He acknowledged this process "is not easy to solve" and will take time, especially considering the plethora of changes added to this season's cars.

It seems Domenicali doesn't believe he is the man to lead such a transition. Ferrari lacked commanding power during the Bahrain Grand Prix, with Fernando Alonso and Raikonnen finishing ninth and tenth respectively, suggesting there's plenty for the ailing team to work on.

Although Domenicali said his colleagues "must not get downhearted," per the Press Association and via The Guardian, it's no coincidence his reported resignation comes shortly after president Luca Di Montezemolo attended first race of the year. As noted in the aforementioned report, the Italian overseer had legitimate cause to be "far from happy with what he witnessed."

It seems likely the end of Domenicali's tenure was to be agreed by mutual consent or forced upon him. Performance failures cannot afford to linger at Ferrari, and with pressure mounting from Di Montezemolo, it is a wise move for all to call time on Domenicali's leadership as principal.

This decision comes early enough in the season that it could still have a positive effect on Ferrari. Fans will have grown used to disappointment and an unnerving lack of competitiveness, but with Domenicali allegedly gone, may find reason to look forward with greater intensity.

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #3 of 19 Old 04-14-2014, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I wonder is the writing on the wall for this season????

If you don't have a Merc engine your nowhere? I hope not but doesn't look good....

post #4 of 19 Old 04-14-2014, 03:34 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,206
He's the first sacrificial lamb, but no doubt it'll have a positive effect. He said it best that it was time for a shakeup. Ferrari cannot afford to be known as a mediocre team.

Probably will be more blood letting after the new guy takes the reins. After all, it wasn't Domenicali himself who missed the boat this year (and preceding years) and failed to design a competitive car, but it's his fault for not sorting out the problem.

I still think Montezemolo will get his rule changes, particularly since Bernie's not happy, nor are Red Bull.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #5 of 19 Old 04-14-2014, 05:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,232
Hello at all,
he never shone like a star .... just look at, or to listen ....
know his climbing fast ...

Fabio

PRESENT: 575 F1 HGTC ROSSO CORSA 2004' - MB CLS 350 CGI 2007'
PAST: 550 ROSSO CORSA 1998' - MB CLK 240 2002'
post #6 of 19 Old 04-14-2014, 05:56 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Here is the new boss. no, not me, the other guy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Attached Images

post #7 of 19 Old 04-14-2014, 12:59 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 590
It is interesting that they have chosen Mattiaci, who has no racing experience. They know they have no chance this season so they probably chose to sack Stefano so Mattiaci can get used to the job, or perhaps he is only a temporary solution while Ferrari try to get Ross Brawn.

Ciao Jules

Current Italian Bellas:
95 Alfa Romeo 164 LS, 1978 Fiat 124 Spider
Sometime in the Future: Red 308 GTS
post #8 of 19 Old 04-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoVeloce View Post
,..... or perhaps he is only a temporary solution while Ferrari try to get Ross Brawn.
That's where my money is.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-14-2014, 07:15 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Mark- And that is what it will take to get Ross, lots of money.

Still, Mercedes has a lot more recent experience with turbo engines, even counting the Maserati engines. The hp of the 2 liter 4 in the AMG CLA is pretty phenomenal.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post

Still, Mercedes has a lot more recent experience with turbo engines, even counting the Maserati engines. The hp of the 2 liter 4 in the AMG CLA is pretty phenomenal.

Terry, remeber the 306 hp of maserati ghibli biturbo of 1992 ...22 years ago ....!!!
where is this experience? .....

Fabio

PRESENT: 575 F1 HGTC ROSSO CORSA 2004' - MB CLS 350 CGI 2007'
PAST: 550 ROSSO CORSA 1998' - MB CLK 240 2002'
post #11 of 19 Old 04-14-2014, 11:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
I do not know Mattiacci's experience in details, but for sure he is not an engineer. His career is the one of a manager and a salesman. He is more a Briatore like kind of professional figure.

However, I think that the real problem of Ferrari is not about this or that person formally leading the F1 effort, but the way Ferrari itself works.

Ferrari looks like a very rigid and compartmentalised organization, quite unable to react with speed and agility to changes to face with success unexpected situations. In my opinion, this is why, during the last few F1 seasons, the cars seemed to go backward during the year, unable to keep pace with the main competitors in terms of developments.

The whole Ferrari F1 organization should be streamlined and reorganized, with one people really in charge of everything and, hopefully, Montezemolo totally cut off from it. Montezemolo is not a great manager (see also his near disaster with the Italo fast trains adventure), but, in any case, it is not his place to interfere with the handling of the F1 team (see how Mercedes, which is a far bigger organization than Ferrari, is leaving freedom to its responsible on the racetracks).

Till this will be done, Ferrari will not be back to the front of the pack, except by luck.

ciao
Mauro

'99 550 Maranello

Vintage Alfa Romeo: '53 1900 saloon, '59 2000 Spider Touring, '61 Giulietta Sprint, '64 2600 Sprint, '72 Montreal, '72 Giulia Super 1300 'Polizia'

Bikes: '02 Ducati ST4s, '03 Kawasaki Z.1000
post #12 of 19 Old 04-15-2014, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Interesting perspective Mauro.
I wonder is R Brawn that man????

post #13 of 19 Old 04-15-2014, 04:24 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorano View Post
Interesting perspective Mauro.
I would take back him in the blink of an eye ! But, again, everything would depend on the degree of real freedom granted to him by Montezemolo.
It is interesting that Brawn left Ferrari in 2007 to take a sabbatic year. He was replaced not by a comparable manager but by the docile Domenicali, till then known as the Coordinator of the Italian Ferrari Clubs (!) Domenicali was able and lucky to win an unexpected title with Raikkonen and when, in 2008, Brawn asked back 'his' place, Montezemolo preferred to keep the lucky Domenicali. Brawn went to Toyota and the rest is history

ciao
Mauro

'99 550 Maranello

Vintage Alfa Romeo: '53 1900 saloon, '59 2000 Spider Touring, '61 Giulietta Sprint, '64 2600 Sprint, '72 Montreal, '72 Giulia Super 1300 'Polizia'

post #14 of 19 Old 04-15-2014, 04:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurodev View Post
The whole Ferrari F1 organization should be streamlined and reorganized, with one people really in charge of everything and, hopefully, Montezemolo totally cut off from it. Montezemolo is not a great manager (see also his near disaster with the Italo fast trains adventure), but, in any case, it is not his place to interfere with the handling of the F1 team (see how Mercedes, which is a far bigger organization than Ferrari, is leaving freedom to its responsible on the racetracks).
I am very far removed from it, but DiM certainly has a lot to be proud of, and those things do not come without managerial skills. Firstly he managed the F1 team in the Niki Lauda days and brought the team back to the front of the grid. Second, he transformed Ferrari from a poorly performing company in the early 1990's to an extremely succesful one in the space of about 8 years.

I do know there is a lot of criticism and I also agree that not everything he did has been great for Ferrari, but I think to call him a poor manager seems to give the man too few credits.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: 550 Maranello
Present: None
Past: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello,
365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #15 of 19 Old 04-15-2014, 04:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
His track record:

1. Built Benetton from nothing to world championship team
2. Built Ferrari from poor performance to world championship team
3. Built Honda from nothing to world championship team (as Brawn GP)
4. Built Mercedes to a possible world championship team in 2014

Pretty impressive, I would say.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: 550 Maranello
Present: None
Past: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello,
365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #16 of 19 Old 04-15-2014, 05:35 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I am very far removed from it, but DiM certainly has a lot to be proud of, and those things do not come without managerial skills. Firstly he managed the F1 team in the Niki Lauda days and brought the team back to the front of the grid. Second, he transformed Ferrari from a poorly performing company in the early 1990's to an extremely succesful one in the space of about 8 years.

I do know there is a lot of criticism and I also agree that not everything he did has been great for Ferrari, but I think to call him a poor manager seems to give the man too few credits.Onno
Hi Onno, are you going to the Mille Miglia this year ?

About LdiM, here his brief history.

When a teenagers in Rome, he knows and establish a friendship with Cristiano Rattazzi, a nephew of Gianni Agnelli. Once obtained his universitary degree, he is immediatly sent in Ferrari, by direct Agnelli's orders. He is able in PR and lucky and thanks to Forghieri and Lauda he wins a couple of F1 championships. This creates around him a winner aura which will never abandon him in the future.
He is brought closer to the center of the FIAT empire and becomes responsible of the institutional relationships and coordinates the political campaign of Umberto Agnelli, Gianni's brother.
He is then promoted to CEO of the newly created Itedi Group, which controls the newspaper of Torino ('La Stampa') and other editorial activities...and here he starts to show signs of his inadequacy.

He is accused to have accepted money to introduce a businessman of Torino to the Agnelli brothers. FIAT CEO's, Cesare Romiti, immediatly exiliated LdiM to a minor brand controlled by the Group: spumanti Cinzano. Besides, Gianni Agnelli makes the Democrazia Cristiana Party retire a candidature for LdiM to run for a seat in the Parliament.
After one full year there, to think about his sins, he is offered a chance to redeem himself: he is appointed Coordinator of the Committe which is organizing the football world champioship in Italy (Italia '90). The championship were poorly organized and many accessory infrastructures (metros, pools, roads, parking lots, etc. were readied long after the end of the championship). A few years after, a number of scandals related to bribes paid to the Committee members to favour specific companies for the related contracts.
Moved to the football realm, LdiM is back in the Fiat breast as President of the Juventus football club. He selected Gigi Maifredi as the trainer of the team. It was a disaster: 7th place in the champioship and no access to the following year's European Cups. In addition, he is involved in a story of "black funds" for a 4 billion Lire transfer to facilitate the arrival of a new player. At the end of the year LdiM is kicked out of the presidency of Juventus and placed at the head of the Rizzoli Corriere della Sera Video company.

It is an even bigger disaster. Because of a wrong investment in an US production company, the Carolco, there was a several hundred billion Lire loss. The loss is so serious that the Rizzoli Video company fails.

Because of those brilliant performances, he is sent back as President and CEO of the Ferrari, in 1991 !

During one of the first technical meetings with his staff, he says that the Ferrari 348 is a 'merda', because in Rome, driving his own 348, he was humiliated by a guy driving a Golf GTI...
He is then taken by hand by a number of senior managers in Ferrari, who limits his gaffes and temperamental decisions.
After the successful Schumi-Brawn-Todt years, in 2004 he is rewarded with the Presidency of Fiat and of the Confindustria, the powerful Italian association of the industrialists (the first and so far unique case of a non-industrialist to cover that role...). His presidency of Confindustria is known as one the worst ever...

A new brilliant initiative is the fast train NTV-Italo one, where he is one of the founder of the new company, heavily subsidized also with public money. After two years in operations, the Company collected 250 million Euro of losses...

I could add many other information on the way he is in the Board of so many companies and banks that even three Montezemolos would have issues partecipating in all the sessions, or how it was involved in scandals with Bisignani, a powerful 'dark' wizard of relationships with everybody, for anything (and involved with the secret masonic net known as P4), and the strange way Bisignani's son was hired by Ferrari as the new Head of the Press Office, replacing Colajanni, etc. but I will stop here.

ciao
Mauro

'99 550 Maranello

post #17 of 19 Old 04-15-2014, 06:06 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
I guess I was more thinking that regardless of who the final choice is the current choice is temporary and simply someone who was available until someone qualified is found....but who knows
post #18 of 19 Old 04-15-2014, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
His track record:

1. Built Benetton from nothing to world championship team
2. Built Ferrari from poor performance to world championship team
3. Built Honda from nothing to world championship team (as Brawn GP)
4. Built Mercedes to a possible world championship team in 2014

Pretty impressive, I would say.

Onno
Absolutely Onno, could never doubt his credentials.
My questions "is RB that man?" was more targeted at "will come back to Ferrari/will Ferrari pay him enough to come back?"

post #19 of 19 Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Owner

Quote:
Absolutely Onno, could never doubt his credentials.
My questions "is RB that man?" was more targeted at "will come back to Ferrari/will Ferrari pay him enough to come back?"
or maybe more importantly does Ferrari realized they need to get him back or find someone as good.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode