Should the 2014 F1 Formula be Revised? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,206
Should the 2014 F1 Formula be Revised?

By now it should be common knowledge that Mercedes have done some very clever engineering of their turbocharged V6's which has given the teams running these engines quite a power advantage over the Renault and Ferrari powered teams. Some have said as much as 30-70 HP.

For those who don't follow the sport, what Mercedes have done is split the turbocharger's hot section (the turbine) away from the compressor. They've put the turbine at the rear of the engine close to the exhaust, where it's most effective, and they've put the compressor at the front of the engine in the cool air flow, where it can be most effective, and they've connected the two via a long shaft that runs through the Vee of the engine. Brilliant engineering, and they've obviously improved the efficiency of the system, as the Mercedes cars are actually burning less fuel than the others while making more power.

So the Renault and Ferrari powered cars are simply outclassed, and barring reliability problems, or finding that Mercedes have somehow been cheating, this season is going to be a romp for the Silver Arrows. Even McLaren, Williams and Force India are outrunning the Renault and Ferrari powered cars.

NBCSN caught a rare live shot of Luca Montezemola as he turned away in disgust from the monitors as he watched Alonso being passed on the straight by a Force India car:

So, should the FIA leave the Formula alone for this season, and it'll be a foregone conclusion that Mercedes powered cars will probably sweep the top ten slots each race, or should there be a midseason rule change to help the Renault and Ferrari powered cars be more competitive?

Toto Wolff (Mercedes team boss) asks why they should be penalised for introducing some brilliant, and innovative engineering? Indeed......

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

Last edited by cribbj; 04-07-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 204
I will put it plain simple.

I am totally against any revisions and rule changes during the season.
What is done, it is done. Every team knew very well already a couple of years ago that from 2014 the turbocharged era will come. They had more than enough time to make themselves ready for championship and somebody did it better, somebody did not.
Toto Wolff said it right.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 07:04 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567

post #4 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 590
The only thing that I would change is to lift the ban on testing and engine development.

Ciao Jules

Current Italian Bellas:
95 Alfa Romeo 164 LS, 1978 Fiat 124 Spider
Sometime in the Future: Red 308 GTS
post #5 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 11:33 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 204
Oops! I forgot the double points in last race, that one is hideous.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,502
No change - I am against dumbing down. If someone has been clever, he should not be punished. The others should be encouraged to pull their fingers out and get up to the same standard, not vice versa.

This is not the first time Mercedes has been dominant in F1. It happened in the '30s (although it wasn't called F1 then) and in the '50s. Nor is it the first time that one engine has ruled to roost - remember the Ford-Cosworth DFV? The sport survived then and it will now.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #7 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Playing devil's advocate here.

Since the Merc's have such a power advantage, what's the use in Ferrari and Renault even competing the rest of the season? Why not pull out for the remainder of 2014 and come back in 2015 with a more competitive package?

One can just about bet that's the sort of thing Montezemolo is threatening to do.

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

post #8 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #9 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
^ points
Agreed, but how many can he hope to accumulate when the 1st 6-8 places every race are going to be sewn up by Merc powered cars? Ferrari were 3rd in the Constructors, now they've slipped to 5th, and probably will slip to 6th when Williams passes them up in China.

So they have to run the numbers and see if 6th or 7th in the Constructors is worth the cost & effort of fielding a full F1 team. Plus does Luca really want to continue to bear the embarrassment of being a middle of the pack, "also ran" team?

Having his #1 driver passed on the straight by a Force India car on a budget a fraction of what Ferrari have spent was humiliating enough. But having his cars consistently outclassed for the rest of the season would be too much to bear, IMO.

post #10 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
John- Everybody works to the same rules. Mercedes just built a better powertrain and should reap the benefit. Even if the last GP was really disappointing to me. Watching the Ferraris get eaten by Force Indias and Williams is not my idea of fun.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Taz, no argument there. Mercedes have certainly done a better job on the engineering, and it's genuinely useful engineering that could eventually find its way into production cars, so we all might benefit from it someday.

So it looks like it could be a(nother) frustrating season for Ferrari, but at least they're in good company this time as Renault appear to be in a similar boat.

Renault do seem to be clawing their way back better than Ferrari, as their cars finished stronger in Bahrain, although none of the Renault powered drivers were on the podium this time.

I do think the FIA is going to allow "some" changes based on the engines' sound not being entertaining enough for the fans, and perhaps this will result in enough wiggle room to improve the Ferrari/Renault output. Of course, this should offer a similar opportunity to Mercedes as well........

post #12 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 12:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,502
The season is yet young. Who knows what Ferrari and / or Renault may pull out of the bag, now that they have the incentive to do so?

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #13 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
...I do think the FIA is going to allow "some" changes based on the engines' sound not being entertaining enough for the fans, and perhaps this will result in enough wiggle room to improve the Ferrari/Renault output....
That's my thought as well. My fading memory recalls that they unfroze engine development for Renault around when Alonso won his first championship? I distinctly recall the lock being lifted during one of the seasons after the Ferrari/Schumacher dominance had ended.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
Whilst I detest some of the stupid current F1 rules it is certainly wrong to change things during a season (the double-points for the last race being a clear exception - what were they thinking!). But what they should be doing is recognizing what they've got wrong and making sure they change it for next season having been too stupid to do it ahead of this one. It is madness to freeze the engines at the start of the year as, if any one manufacturer has done a better job at that point (as Mercedes certainly have) their advantage is cemented for the whole season with no opportunity for the others to even try to close up. At least if someone builds a better chassis the other teams have a chance to develop their cars to catch them. Saving money? Don't make me laugh when all the teams cart several truck loads of paddock palaces around all the European races.

The ugly cars and pathetic noise they make should not be a surprise and they should have the wit to frame the rules to ensure they end up with cars that look and sound like Grand Prix cars.

Jonathan
post #15 of 16 Old 04-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 124
Everything considered, I think that open testing during the season ought to be allowed. After all there are only the 3 engine builders- Mercedes, Ferrari & Renault- and if the latter two (especially) are allowed to explore other design options, all (within the current rules for engine/powerplant design, of course) would hopefully benefit, which would make for a lot more competitive racing, which is the entire point, after all. No need to change the rules, but obviously something needs to be done or else it'll be a walkaway for the German-engined cars. Not the drivers, just the cars. Do any of us really look forward to 16 more lopsided races like the first 3 ???

Last edited by Rich S; 04-11-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: correction
post #16 of 16 Old 04-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
F1

The only changes I want to see ,removing that bullshit fuel conservation rule , and the low amount of engines each team can have , what a Fn joke,,everyone should be racing flat out, PERIOD..F1 has been dumbed down, like everything else. If Mercedes is kicking ass over Ferrari, no big deal, this year, they out engineered everyone,good for them, that last race was a blast . In this first year of the new turbo era, the teams should be allowed at least double the amount of motors they can use . I can remember the year Button won, I believe it was the first year of the V8s, Brawn Merc out did all the other teams, and rightly won the drivers and constructors. Maybe this year , it we are lucky, we will see a Hamilton / Rosberg battle, A LA Prost / Senna..wouldnt that be great !!!!. And if so,,who gives a shit about everyone else...lol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode