Grip - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-05-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
Grip

After a 3 week absence from the F1 (328), I took it for a short burst this morning. Climbing up the hill I had an unusual amount of insanely slow pokes in front of me. I waited patiently while looking for the right time to pass everyone, one at time , and two at times. I had the chance to really hit the corners on the downside of the canyon, Im still absolutely amazed at the mechanical grip of this 25 year old Ferrari ,it really hugs the corners,,of course its slower on entry ,and hard acceleration through the apex and exit, the resistance on the steering wheel, while feeling every distortion in the road , feeds back a very big smile across my face. The temps where up today, giving the P ZEROS the heat that they beg for . You see for me , Its all about the way I feel when Im driving this machine. I know I cant and never will part with it. At times I fantasize about what it would be like to drive an F40 / 50 or a 430 / 458, 575 . I know they must be insane, with that being said. I often wonder if I would achieve the same satisfaction driving them (, F40 / 50 not included ). I was on the 405 on Thursday on my Hyabusa when I came up on a felllow driving a black 458 Berlinetta, I got to tell you, that car is absolutely beautiful !!! I tried to get his attention, thinking he would like to have a go at it,but no luck..just another LA business man enjoying his Ferrari , driving it legally..lol...Im meeting a dear friend for lunch , so I had to cut the drive short . Maybe tomorrow Ill indulge once more..have a nice weekend...Brett Lucca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #3 of 16 Old 04-06-2014, 02:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
got to agree. love the grip
Is that what you said to Emilee Rae?

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport

post #4 of 16 Old 04-06-2014, 06:18 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #5 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 02:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Nice one, Luca. The 328 is a lovely Ferrari. It was the first one I ever drove, will not forget that!

I can tell you that the 458 is a wonderful Ferrari too, and that people like myself (with mortal driving skills) can exploit them and get extreme satisfaction from them. The only thing is that is all happens at great speeds - very hard to feel the chassis working on a normal road.

So for every day driving pleasure, you're better off with a 328.

As for the F40 - well, actually I think the F40 gives you more. You don't need to drive it at ridiculous speeds - it is light, agile, it whizzes, bangs and pops all the time. It is very much alive and definitely a car you can enjoy every time you drive it. Unfortunately for me, I've only had that opportunity once.... But I count myself very lucky indeed.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: 550 Maranello
Present: None
Past: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello,
365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #6 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 03:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
The only thing is that is all happens at great speeds - very hard to feel the chassis working on a normal road.
Onno
Good point. Much as I love my 550, I risk getting a ticket if I drive it at a shade over one third of its maximum speed and a driving ban at half. Ownership gives great pleasure, but sometimes frustration in almost equal measure!

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #7 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Owner

thx fellows

as always, thank you for all your replys,,,PS.,, Today , I saw another black 458 with red racing stripes down on the bonnet,,not sure of their significance, but cool non the less..I was on my way to lunch with a friend in Marina Del Ray...just a sick car !!!,,,
post #8 of 16 Old 04-30-2014, 01:09 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
There is a lot to be said for a car you can give full throttle for more then three seconds before you look death in the face. I drive my 328 Mondial in the N. Georgia mountains and it is just about right. Sort of like theater; always leave me wishing for just a bit more power.

The 3.2 at 270hp does not limit my driving by its own over abundance of power. I can use all of what it has just as is and might even wish for more. That is just about perfect.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-01-2014, 02:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 357
Love my grip, noticed my Pirreli PZERO's still 80% thread and looks like new but they are 2009 models (6 years old)

should I be concerned at high speeds ? what the max years before becoming hazadous ?, I've seen cars with 11 year old tyres,,,haha
post #10 of 16 Old 05-01-2014, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

tires

hey Johnney,,,,if the tires are dry cracked, that could be a problem. The weather where you live also has an effect on how the tires age , where I live , tires stay in pretty good shape , even over a long period of time . I can recall a time, back when I first bought the car, I couldnt afford to buy new tires, the P ZEROs , which became very worn out, did not lose their performance, I was very surprised and happy as well, with the way these tires worked , from new , to the day I replaced them. I once read an article which talked about the PZEROS , and their excellent performance, which remained linear through the tires life. , which confirmed my experience. Im sure the fellows on here ,have answers further in depth than mine,,,Brett Lucca
post #11 of 16 Old 05-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Owner

Brett, they are not dry cracked, no signs of inner / outer wear, I drive mostly main roads and highway which is perfect, weather here is similar to yours, I'm more thinking towards age of the rubber, I've seen guys with old cars that doesn't get driven for weeks, maybe months with old tires of 10 years and older, that's to risky for me, on occasion I like to pull away fast, drive fast and corner my 328 but it also feels overkill to change tires that's still good, I dunno and might be stupid but maybe 7 years is considered old and good time to replace.

thx
J
post #12 of 16 Old 05-01-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner

mileage

P zeros do not get very good mileage, in comparison to other tires, so in seven years, they are most likely very worn out . You say your tires have 80 % tread left. you must not drive very often. My rear tires might have a life of 5000 miles, i drive my car about 1500 miles per year, so you figure it out . I might be wrong,,from what I can remember, I go through two sets of rears for every set of fronts, and the rears on my car, I dont think get more than 5000 miles, but like I said, I could be wrong, I stopped worrying about it , since Ive been in a much better place financially for many years , If you feel like your car is handling well, and you make sure your tire pressures are right, I wouldnt worry about it. P ZERO s claim to fame , are their very stiff sidewalls , in my wheel sizes, this allows my car to really handle like a late model sports car . I dont worry so much about the age of my tires, when the tread wears out, I just get new ones. I have never used any other brand of tire, so I cant compare , the P Zeros have always been really good for me.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Owner

I got my 89-328 for only two years now, the previous owner was doing around a 1000 miles a year and I myself around 1600 miles per year, I've checked them again, ok, more like 50-60% thread left and I'd say can do another 3000 miles at least.
I'm really not worried, just like to get an idea about rubber life, I'll spin the thread off just before replacing ! haha
post #14 of 16 Old 05-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
you guys need to drive your cars more they are way too nice to sit and be driven so little.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-02-2014, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

mileage

hey Mike,, I hear what your saying,,just to let you know, I have 94000 miles on my 328, most of which was done in the first ten years..These days, I really prefer riding my motorcycles, but once I get the each, I always have a nice 3 hour drive in my 328. Sometimes, I just cant take the traffic out here . My average in the 328 is a little under 5000 miles per year. I bought it with 20 k miles. Thanks for your reply,,,
post #16 of 16 Old 05-02-2014, 03:17 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
Tire pressures are more important then age for safety. I use 35 psi in the Pzeros but will wear them out in a couple of years. I have one long sweeper that is good at about 100mph but these days I have nothing much to prove anymore.

In mormal vigorous/not extreme driving I do not believe you have anything to worry about for years to come.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode