Geneva Autoshow...Rear of California - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 03-05-2014, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Geneva Autoshow...Rear of California

Had a chance to visit the Geneva Auto Show, before the public opening, thanks to Boxer's great connections and status'.


I must say, except for the McLaren podium, nothing really special this year....but I had a chance to see ferrari's latest "rejuveniled" product, the California.
From photos so far, I liked it very much, especially the front part....but when today in real life, I stood at the rear of the California, I was somehow disappointed...a big ,flat...well..not very structured imo ! What DO YOU think ? (as a comparison the back of the F12 and FF which stood next to the California)
Attached Images
       

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
212Export is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 03-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Owner
 
JazzyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I think it is an improvement over the old Cali. Haven't seen it IRL, but I like it on the pics. I'm trying to see your point, but can't quite. I think it is a good thing the plastic iPhone cover of the F12 is not on the rear, in that sense it is an improvement over the F12. I like the diffuser too. The midsection is a bit bland, but that also leaves nothing to be offended by. All in all, pretty good if not spectacular.


Onno



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: 550 Maranello
Present: None
Past: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello,
365BB x 2,
330GTC
JazzyO is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I think it is an improvement over the old Cali. Haven't seen it IRL, but I like it on the pics. I'm trying to see your point, but can't quite. I think it is a good thing the plastic iPhone cover of the F12 is not on the rear, in that sense it is an improvement over the F12. I like the diffuser too. The midsection is a bit bland, but that also leaves nothing to be offended by. All in all, pretty good if not spectacular.


Onno
Spectacular ? Onno, I guess I'm growing old....(and you stay young..;-) )
212Export is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 Old 03-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Owner
 
bryanp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 642
sorry; this is what a rear end should look like .. .
Attached Images
 
bryanp is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
I'm with Onno. Non offensive but not spectacular.

A different colour might help I think.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old 03-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Owner
 
575er's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ireland
Ferrari Life Posts: 624
Agreed Barry, some cars are quite colour sensitive. I'm liking the new Cali even if the butt is a bit bland, but I am not sure why it needs sooo much BHP for the type of car it is?

Cheers
Michael

Current Fcars: 360 Modena
Gone but not forgotten: 360 Spider, 575M, F430.
Other stuff: '71 Holden GTS Monaro, '80 BMW Alpina B9, '74 Porsche Targa, Caterham, MB CL500, Land Rover Discovery.
575er is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 03-05-2014, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post
sorry; this is what a rear end should look like .. .
Thank you...............you saved my day!

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50

Last edited by 212Export; 03-05-2014 at 08:41 PM.
212Export is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 03-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Owner
 
bretm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Jersey
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
From what I heard this morning from my buddy, the rears you need to be posting pictures of are from the Lamborghini display and they're not on the cars...
bretm is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 03-05-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
From what I heard this morning from my buddy, the rears you need to be posting pictures of are from the Lamborghini display and they're not on the cars...
We have specificaly looked at them, but to tell you the truth, those Lamborghini ladies have been the only one's who never smiled and looked more Kind of angry like the front of the cars they represented.
212Export is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 03-05-2014, 12:28 PM
Owner
 
iainuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Ferrari Life Posts: 655
I agree with you 212. The previous model had some character, something that has been removed from the new car which looks disappointingly bland to me. The 2008 model had a unique frontal design that was recognizable as a Ferrari yet had an individual style of it's own thanks to the unique headlights. The new car has a variation of the 458/FF/F12 lights and has lost that individuality as a result. I'm sure the underlying package is much better but the redesign has removed the crisp lines of the original and left a bland and bloated look in it's place.

Taking the design work back in house has not been LDM's finest hour IMHO. It seems to be a group wide issue as Maserati have also suffered by ending their successful relationship with Pinifarina.

Current: F50, 246 GT (x 2), 246 GTS
Past: 360M, F430 spider, 430 Scuderia,
California (x 2), 458 Italia (x 2), 458 spider, 246 GT
iainuk is online now  
post #11 of 28 Old 03-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 212
are we forgetting that these cars need to pass the "bag of golf clubs test"... as part of addressing a wider market appeal, as being built for comfort in addition to speed
fromage is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old 03-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Owner
 
Bluebottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Exeter, England
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromage View Post
are we forgetting that these cars need to pass the "bag of golf clubs test"... as part of addressing a wider market appeal, as being built for comfort in addition to speed
Boot also has to accommodate the hard top, not an easy task.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
Website: http://bluebottleonline.com/
Bluebottle is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 03-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Owner
 
Bluebottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Exeter, England
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by iainuk View Post
The 2008 model had a unique frontal design that was recognizable as a Ferrari yet had an individual style of it's own thanks to the unique headlights.
For me the nose also has something of the look of the 250 Cali, which the new one does not.

Having said that, I do think the new car looks very good indeed, in line with today's Ferrari styling principles, as typified by the F12 (my current idea of motoring Nirvana).

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
Website: http://bluebottleonline.com/
Bluebottle is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 03-06-2014, 02:31 AM
Owner
 
Italian Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Far end of the P pond
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post
sorry; this is what a rear end should look like .. .
Bryan, that brings tears in my eyes ...

As for the Cal T, probably the retractable roof had a thing or two with the design.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Italian Lover is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 03-06-2014, 03:40 AM
Owner
 
550_Maranello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cesena - Italy
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Had a chance to visit the Geneva Auto Show, before the public opening, thanks to Boxer's great connections and status'.


I must say, except for the McLaren podium, nothing really special this year....but I had a chance to see ferrari's latest "rejuveniled" product, the California.
From photos so far, I liked it very much, especially the front part....but when today in real life, I stood at the rear of the California, I was somehow disappointed...a big ,flat...well..not very structured imo ! What DO YOU think ? (as a comparison the back of the F12 and FF which stood next to the California)
212,
I'm complete agree with you about CA, I not saw the car from real but the picture shown a lots ....
The front is nice but for me not have much personality, the rear of California remember me another car .... I have searched on my mind and ... Lexus SC 430.
See the pictures, the design is very similar, the lights positioning and the ugly spoiler at the edge of the cover ...
Ferrari have started a way like audi, the "family look", all models similar with the result that is difficult to see fast the differences, need to see the dimension of light or the grilled in the front bumper ....
This way certainly bring lot of money but not generate great cars ....
I do not want to offend anyone, the Romans used to say "De gustibus non est disputandum", this is my personally think.
Attached Images
   

Fabio

PRESENT: 575 F1 HGTC ROSSO CORSA 2004' - MB CLS 350 CGI 2007'
PAST: 550 ROSSO CORSA 1998' - MB CLK 240 2002'
550_Maranello is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old 03-06-2014, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550_Maranello View Post
212,
I'm complete agree with you about CA, I not saw the car from real but the picture shown a lots ....
The front is nice but for me not have much personality, the rear of California remember me another car .... I have searched on my mind and ... Lexus SC 430.
See the pictures, the design is very similar, the lights positioning and the ugly spoiler at the edge of the cover ...
Ferrari have started a way like audi, the "family look", all models similar with the result that is difficult to see fast the differences, need to see the dimension of light or the grilled in the front bumper ....
This way certainly bring lot of money but not generate great cars ....
I do not want to offend anyone, the Romans used to say "De gustibus non est disputandum", this is my personally think.
You quoted it perfectly in latin and you're Lexus pictures says it all.....
Interestingly same tendency to be seen with Porsche, Panamera, 911 just getting further and further away from initial beauty....but after all, thats probably one reason why classic are in demand atm.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
212Export is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 03-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
You quoted it perfectly in latin and you're Lexus pictures says it all.....
Interestingly same tendency to be seen with Porsche, Panamera, 911 just getting further and further away from initial beauty....but after all, thats probably one reason why classic are in demand atm.
Yep, get your classics today because tomorrow they may be too expensive or we may be too dead.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 03-06-2014, 11:15 AM
 
DogZy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Croatia
Ferrari Life Posts: 204
Feel a need to add my two cents

The new California T looks decent to me, however, overall I believe the original California was better in design terms. What I like on new one is rear end, it is neat, tidy, its not "in your face" style (talking about rear, haha). Double exhausts on each side would not be good aesthetically on new model. The colour on showed Cali T is probably not the best for showing off, not saying that I dislike it, it is old school colour, may I put that way.
@brianp
To me, 50s and 60s design era were golden and 275 is one of the best examples of it. And it is a good thing Ferrari is taking bits of their distant Ferrari relatives and put them on their new set of wheels. So, world would be a dull place if all the Ferraris would look just the same as any other Ferrari. But you know that already.

#11 post by fromage is funny, and quite true.

Cheers,
DogZy
DogZy is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 03-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Owner
 
JazzyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Spectacular ? Onno, I guess I'm growing old....(and you stay young..;-) )
212, I said NOT spectacular. I'm getting old too!



Onno



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: 550 Maranello
Present: None
Past: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello,
365BB x 2,
330GTC
JazzyO is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 03-06-2014, 09:34 PM
Owner
 
JazzyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post
sorry; this is what a rear end should look like .. .
They made very few mistakes in those days. I loved my GTC from 3/4 rear.

But I think the rear of my modern Ferraris is quite lovely too.

Onno



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Images
     

Future: 550 Maranello
Present: None
Past: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello,
365BB x 2,
330GTC
JazzyO is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale