Suspension Lift - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-04-2014, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Suspension Lift

Those who have suspension lift as standard on your cars, can you keep the nose up or half way up when going at speed or does it self-resume when picking up speed?

It would be a great option to lift the car in all corners one inch when going on bumpy switchbacks. Only a classic can go flat out on such roads without scraping and banging the nose into the tarmac. Another good solution is the inflatable rubber front splitter on the new 911, very clever.

I've had this problem ever since I bought my first Ferrari, my 355 back in 1998. The Dino and the 308 do small road switchbacks just fine but the 430 not so.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,207
Capo, my suspension lift is not standard Ferrari issue, but it will stay elevated at speed if I wish - it's completely manual control via a window type raise/lower switch in my dash.

A colleague of mine developed the system for the GT40 replica crowd, who have similar issues with low hanging bodywork being damaged when their cars are driven on the street and up/down steep inclines.

He put the system on all 4 corners of his GT40, and it added about 1.5 inches ride height to both the F&R, for just the situation you describe.

My setup only lifts the front of my 550 Maranello, but that 1.5 inches is more than sufficient to keep it from scraping in my driving environment.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 7 Old 03-04-2014, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

John, that sounds like the way forward. I'd like something that sits on top of the spring and adds more height without extending the spring itself. That way the damping and spring characteristics remain the same only at a slightly higher ride height.

Salve,
Capo

post #4 of 7 Old 03-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,207
Capo, this is what one of my 550 coilovers looks like with the hydraulic ram acting on top of the spring.

It does require a shorter spring than stock, and there is some suspension travel lost due to the ram, however we're trying to minimise that with the next iteration, which will hopefully allow the spring to go over the ram, but it will be cantilevered.

This same system has been adapted to the 360 and 430 cars, as well.
Attached Images

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #5 of 7 Old 03-04-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Interesting!

Salve,
Capo

post #6 of 7 Old 03-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Those who have suspension lift as standard on your cars, can you keep the nose up or half way up when going at speed or does it self-resume when picking up speed?
Probably not quite what you are after, but cars with air suspension tend to offer the capacity to increase ground clearance, but usually lower automatically when a certain speed (I think it is around 30 mph on my E-class Merc) is reached and will not operate above this speed. Older Citroens also offered variable ride height (no idea whether the current ones do) and they were manually controlled, so in theory you could drive as fast as you liked on the highest setting, but the handbook advised strongly against it. There is no provision to alter the angle of attack: all four corners rise the same amount.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #7 of 7 Old 03-05-2014, 12:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
The one on the 458 lowers itself above something like 30 km/h

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: 550 Maranello
Present: None
Past: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello,
365BB x 2,
330GTC

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode