Engine Tuning - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
Engine Tuning

I have searched today the net and i saw that there is a large number of tuners hich over various kits for Ferrari. For example there are twin turbo kits offered by Hennesey,Heffner and Underground Racing and supercharging kits by Novitec Rosso.What's your opinion for these kits ? Would you install such a kit in your Ferrari ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Alexandrous- Not me, but many owners have and like the systems, especially with the older V8s. About the most I would do is fiddle with the DMEs for a bit freer breathing, and have no intention of even doing that.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
tuning

Ferraris are best left the way they come from the factory, why would you want to mess with absolute perfection. Exhaust systems on the older cars like my 328 could be upgraded , nothing else .

post #4 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 04:27 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
I agree with Lucca, --BUT they are not absolute perfection. Putting turbos on a non-turbo Ferrari is a bit much,

Exhaust systems are OK but not too much more than that. Improving the ignition system? OK.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
So all of you say that a bit of tuning is ok but not too much. What about ECU and TCU remapping. Lot's of owners have said/written that they would better stay away from that while those who did it said that the engine runs smoother,she has more low end torque and with the TCU remap the clutch wear has decreased,gear changes became smoother in normal driving and a bit faster in Race mode,but the mojority tells they did it in order to be able to give a bit more last to their clutches,so any opinions on that?
post #6 of 9 Old 03-25-2014, 04:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca brazzi View Post
Ferraris are best left the way they come from the factory, why would you want to mess with absolute perfection. Exhaust systems on the older cars like my 328 could be upgraded , nothing else .
I would have to agree with this

348TB
Damien Ietto
post #7 of 9 Old 03-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Ecu tuning is great providing the tech knows what he is doing. Competizione here locally has gotten some remarkable results from the couple of cars I've seen. I like the idea of turbos on these cars, just not sure id buy a car with turbos or a supercharger second hand

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #8 of 9 Old 03-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Alexandros View Post
So all of you say that a bit of tuning is ok but not too much. What about ECU and TCU remapping. Lot's of owners have said/written that they would better stay away from that while those who did it said that the engine runs smoother,she has more low end torque and with the TCU remap the clutch wear has decreased,gear changes became smoother in normal driving and a bit faster in Race mode,but the mojority tells they did it in order to be able to give a bit more last to their clutches,so any opinions on that?

Ferrari, like any one else, must seek the best balance of emissions compliance, reliability, longevity, performance and be as user friendly as possible. With the Drive By Wire throttle cars like your F360, the throttle plate response rate from the throttle pedal is usually progressive. That ensure nice smooth starts and reduced emissions as the engine is throttle up more gradually.

Manipulating that action makes the car more responsive, the clutch engage more positively, more quickly and gives you the sense of a big boost in performance. Some tuners go so far as to over drive the throttle response so when you request 25% throttle, 35% may be applied. This make the car feel very quick, when really it's the same. It's just a change in perception.

If you're going to make changes like this or the power add on systems, you need to remain aware of the importance of engineering. There are a lot of tuners out there that can produce big numbers and put together great advertising campaigns, but they haven't necessarily taken the time to make sure the entire package is tuned together and that reasonable measures are taken to allow room for error and safety. The biggest advertised numbers or bets priced package isn't always the best or smartest option. Many time there is a lot of important R&D left out of the product which is very important.

A company like Novitec takes the time to make sure their system aren't outputting power beyond the torque holding capacity of the transaxle, for example. They aren't tuning the air/fuel ratios right to the very edge, they are leaving some safety margin. Their systems may be the most expensive and may not put out the most advertised power, but they have the most care and effort invested into the development to reduce failures, headaches and disappointment.

A lot of these kits are designed to just rocket the car down a straight road too. If you're tracking the car a lot or frequently making runs through the hills and canyons, the power curves of some of these systems may not prove to make the car more exciting, jut more difficult to drive. Also keep in mind that few of these companies really advertise how reliable the cars are afterwards. They just advertise power and price. Is it worth it to you to turn the car into an unreliable headache?

The good builds I have seen have been custom builds and costs start around $100k USD. If you're doing a lower end off the shelf bolt on package, find some guys that have done it already and aren't getting hand outs from the builder to talk good about their products.

post #9 of 9 Old 03-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Engine Tuning

Deleted

Last edited by 360 Modena; 03-28-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode