Does this harm the engine ? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
Does this harm the engine ?

Well first of all i know it is a Ferrari forum up here but the video i posted is because it gives a good representation on the question i want to make. In this nice quality video filmedby Tim Burton ( or Shmee150 for the Youtubers ) you see a 12C Spyder revving for a long period of time to the rev limiter in order to put a nice show. The flames are definetely nice but how bad is this action for the engine ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Alexandros View Post
Well first of all i know it is a Ferrari forum up here but the video i posted is because it gives a good representation on the question i want to make. In this nice quality video filmedby Tim Burton ( or Shmee150 for the Youtubers ) you see a 12C Spyder revving for a long period of time to the rev limiter in order to put a nice show. The flames are definetely nice but how bad is this action for the engine ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=XXp7pZUoaZU

The link for the video
post #3 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 05:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
What a silly way to enjoy a fine sports car!

Wouldn't the catalysers take a hit from it?

Does a rev limiter on a fuel injected engine cut fuel or ignition or both? I have a rev limiter installed on my carbed chopper and obviously it only cuts the ignition. If I would hold the throttle on the chopper against the rev limiter for long I suppose for good reason that the sealing surfaces of the exhaust valves would suffer damage. It would be combusting directly on the sealing surfaces and that's bad news.

It's an interesting question. I saw some j4ckoffs doing it repeatedly on their motorcycles downtown. It was annoying to the point that I was hoping for an engine failure.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Engines do not really like free revving. It is a great way to break something that wants to break. The sharp change from acceleration to deceleration and back is loading things a lot more than one would realize.

post #5 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
Engines do not really like free revving. It is a great way to break something that wants to break. The sharp change from acceleration to deceleration and back is loading things a lot more than one would realize.
Would you say that constant free revving would be worse than constant revving under load?

Salve,
Capo

post #6 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 700
Hire car - Premier Velocity!
Hopefully the engine has survived intact and I'm sure they won't let the same guy hire another car.

'SCUD' Verb. To move fast as if driven by the wind.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 03:05 PM
Master Mechanic

A free rev is bad. Every watch Nitro Funny Cars? Everything is OK until the tires spin and the engine free revs, which allows it to explode violently. The engine parts aren't engineered to tolerate those velocities or harmonics that occur during unloaded high rpm. For example, I got to see the flywheel of 328 explode while a guy was revving the hell out of it showing off. Ruined the bell housing, engine block, engine lid and severed the primary wiring harness, in addition to the clutch and flywheel damage. I also got to see a Lambo Diablo V12 with a bunch of spun rod bearings, after a donut demonstration got out of hand, allowing the engine to free rev up onto the limiter.

Last edited by ECSofVirginia; 02-25-2014 at 03:50 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 03:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
A rev limiter is to an engine what a parachute is to an airplane.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
A free rev is bad. Every watch Nitro Funny Cars? Everything is OK until the tires spin and the engine free revs, which allows it to explode violently. The engine parts aren't engineered to tolerate those velocities or harmonics that occur during unloaded high rpm. For example, I got to see the flywheel of 328 explode while a guy was revving the hell out of it showing off. Ruined the bell housing, engine block, engine lid and severed the primary wiring harness, in addition to the clutch and flywheel damage. I also got to see a Lambo Diablo V12 with a bunch of spun rod bearings, after a donut demonstration got out of hand, allowing the engine to free rev up onto the limiter.

A friend who used to be a well known sprint car engine supplier told me drivers who wanted new motors but weren't being given them by the car owner would just run full throttle and load the car against the brakes. When it was near top RPM the brake was released and the sudden load difference would make the motor go pop. He said everything below the head gaskets was scrap metal.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Master Mechanic

Ouch. I bet every con rod in the broke in two, then carried through the rest of that poor engine.

post #11 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 09:15 PM
Owner

Quote:
Ouch!

Salve,
Capo

post #12 of 14 Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Not to mention motor mounts.

Don't ask, as it happened decades ago during my youthful exuberance life stage..
post #13 of 14 Old 02-27-2014, 05:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
A friend who used to be a well known sprint car engine supplier told me drivers who wanted new motors but weren't being given them by the car owner would just run full throttle and load the car against the brakes. When it was near top RPM the brake was released and the sudden load difference would make the motor go pop. He said everything below the head gaskets was scrap metal.
Much better way is to do a 2 gear downshift without the clutch. Found out the hard way the valves and the pistons have a way of reaching out to touch each other under vacuum. I've missed a ton of gears over the years and never had a problem. The engine builders had even made comments about how I must never over rev the engines or miss a shift. I've always used the brakes to slow the car and not the engine. The guys who downshift hard using the motors to slow the cars are the ones always bending dropping valves.

Piston hits the valve and bends it slightly. Each time the valve closes the racing springs bend it straight against the seat. After a while the valve stem hits the fatiuge limit and the head of the valve breaks off and you are buying a new motor

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #14 of 14 Old 02-27-2014, 05:19 PM
Master Mechanic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode