new seats to fit a tall 328 driver - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-03-2014, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 124
new seats to fit a tall 328 driver

I posted some stuff starting in December when I purchased my '86 328 GTS; my first Ferrari. Since then I've posted some remarks about the new seats I'm fabricating (from scratch, not modified ones) so to make it easier to follow what I'm doing (for those who might be interested) I'll post progress on this new thread. The reason to do this is just because there seem to be a lot of taller drivers who either find fitting in their cars difficult, or else would really like to have a 308 or 328 but think they can't because the car's too small for them. So to pick up from the most recent posting on another thread (My first Ferrari), here's what I said:

"Hi, all, thanks again for the responses! Still working on the new seats, the 3rd try seems to work, for the seat bottoms. I'm making a pattern for the upper parts that go up to the rear bulkhead, but so far with temporary foam padding I fit fine, witn over an inch to spare (to the targa panel). I'll probably start a new thread of my own which I'll title "new seats to fit a tall 328 driver".so if upcoming progress & photos would be of interest to anyone look for more to follow on that thread.

Cheers, Rich"

Sorry for being so wordy but I would like to give a blow-by-blow description of how these great cars can be owned & driven comfortably by larger/taller drivers...I'm 6' 4", myself (about 193cm). When I finally have a finished seat frame/base together to take pics of, I will, and post them. Not to keep anyone in suspense, but the real secret in making a completely new seat to give several inches more of headroom is to use the space meant to store the targa panel in...making the seat bottom lower is only part of the answer. This requires a somewhat tricky solution to connect the upper(rear) part of the seat with the lower part but I'm working on it.

to be continued..

Cheers again, Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
328 seats

Hello Rich, I replaced my drivers seat with a Sparco Milano 11 years ago. Its much better than the stock seat.Its lower and gives much more support, especially side to side. They still make this seat in case you want to check its dimensions . The fellow who installed the seat used the factory bracket rather than the Sparco bracket,so we wouldnt lose any head room. The only problem was that the seat mechanism would not stay locked in place. I was able to get around this problem by wedging a short 2 x 4 between the seat and the locking lever , which pushed the lever down into place and has kept it in place since then. I know this is not the best way, but it was all could do at the time, its worked, so Ive left it alone, with the floor matts, you cant even tell. I would absolutely be interested in seeing your final design ,I want to eventually replace the passenger seat, and maybe modify the bracket on the drivers seat so the locking lever works. Thanks Brett Lucca
Attached Images

Last edited by lucca brazzi; 02-03-2014 at 05:50 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-03-2014, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 124
Hi, Lucca, nice writeup. I understand about using a stock accessory seat, and if it would work for me I'd go that way too. However I need all the space I can squeak out of the car's very limited interior space, including the space at the rear of the seat bottom between the slide brackets! So I'll be trying to get on with the seats; right now I'm battling the car's interior, trying to easly remove the carpeting, center console, and so on. The cloth-covered parts on the rear window ledge are not that easy to remove, either; especially the long, curved piece under the rear window. It seems that the factory decided to attach threaded posts to the sides and center of the aluminum trim piece, then attach it thru the bulkhead with 10mm nuts, which are covered by an aluminum panel on the engine bay side, which panel cannot be removed (without removing the engine, apparently) to access the three 10 mm nuts holding the trim piece on the inside. I may have to remove the posts from the cockpit side with a very fine hole saw on a drill, then fish out the posts & nuts on the engine side and figure out an easier way of attaching the panel from the cockpit side only. All this because I want to recover the many small pieces covered in that stupid textured cloth that frays easily, holds dirt oh so well, and cannot be cleaned. Black vinyl it is, to match the dashboard!

But I digress.

More about the seats, later... the sooner the better.

Cheers, Rich

Last edited by Rich S; 02-03-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typos

post #4 of 4 Old 02-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
rite on

I myself do not like that cloth material on the back deck, so in the future when I get the carpet replaced, I want to have that cloth covered in tan leather, same with the targa top. I look forward to reading about your progress,,Brett

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode