Driving your Ferrari in the rain? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 07-26-2004, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 566
Driving your Ferrari in the rain?

Hi y'all,
How many of you would not mind driving your car in the rain?
If so, or if not and you got caught in the rain: what would you do afterwards?

"Liberals are the pallbearers of societies"

'88.3 Testarossa
'83 Mondial QV (sold!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 07-26-2004, 07:10 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 776
I will when I get mine. :P

Do you think God stays in Heaven because she is afraid of what she sees down here?

Owner and Operator of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. A few mods here and there... but just you wait and see what I have in store for her...
post #3 of 42 Old 07-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
If its raining, or looks like it is going to rain, I do not take out my car. Kind of like having a motorcycle in that respect. If I'm out and get caught in the rain, no big deal. I put the top on and drive home. The next day I will wash the car and polish the rims. I'm not sure if the rims are aluminum or magnesium. Either way, rain takes the shine right out of them.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

post #4 of 42 Old 07-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Spyder
Ditto. After waiting this long us "old blokes" ain't gonna let a bit of rain / hail / snow / mudslide / high fuel prices / stop us from driving ANYTIME!

ha:
post #5 of 42 Old 07-26-2004, 08:39 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids3fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Spyder
Ditto. After waiting this long us "old blokes" ain't gonna let a bit of rain / hail / snow / mudslide / high fuel prices / stop us from driving ANYTIME!

ha:
Oh No!! My car isn't ever going to see snow! I can't imagine driving my Ferrari in the snow. I used to have a Mustang GT convertible as a daily driver and that thing would get stuck in a parking lot with 4 inches of snow on the ground. Since the front spoiler on the Ferrari is only 4" off the ground, I imagine I would be using that as a plow. God, I can just see that car sliding on the ice into a pole or something. No, I've got a Jeep and a 4x4 pickup truck to drive in snow and mudslides.

I treat the Ferrari like a motorcycle. On a day that you wouldn't want to take out a motorcycle, I won't take out my Ferrari. It is just that with the Ferrari, if you get caught in unexpected weather, it isn't that bad. Throw the roof on, drive on.

Hey, wait a minute! 4kids3fish, you live in Australia! What the hell are you talking about! The only time you've ever seen snow is when I showed you a picture of some! It's easy for you to say you'd drive your Ferrari in the snow when you've never been out in the waist-deep stuff with a shovel in your hands! Don't you "G'day, Mate!" me and talk about driving in the snow! :green: :green:

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #6 of 42 Old 07-26-2004, 09:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
I drive my Ferrari in the rain. In my part of the world, rain is always unexpected, we don't have weather report every 3 hours as what happens in say Melbourne Australia where the wether report is on a regular basis. So in Malaysia if I happen to take my Ferrari out and it rains (you better believe that it's the torrential type of rain), I just drive the car but at a very slow speed. The Stradale has Pirelli Corsa fitted as standard. These are semi-slicks and reputedly bad in the rain but I found them to be reasonable in the rain. When I reach home and after the rain stops, I just wash the car. It's silly to be afraid of the rain!

However I had very bad experience with my first Ferrari though. My 328GTS is notorious for leaks, especially at the corner of the joint between the Targa roof and the windshield and the worse part to leak is on the passenger side. I remember being caught in the rain and it was fine when the car was moving but once I stopped at the traffic light water just dripped into the car. The Ferrari workshop can't cure the problem, so I had to take the easiest remedial action. Carry lots of hand towels under the passenger seat. So when it rains I just use them to mop the leak. So my wife became quite adapt at it and she never complained. :lol:
post #7 of 42 Old 07-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,132
In general I try to avoid driving a Ferrari in the rain. It is not that you can't drive them in the rain, but more because the rain takes a lot of the fun out of driving a Ferrari. Sometimes I do get caught and then it is just a matter of driving carefully given the handling characteristics of rear wheel drive, huge engine, wide tires, and light body.

As Pete04222 mentioned, I do then wash the car the next day.
post #8 of 42 Old 07-27-2004, 12:59 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
February in the UK - seem to remember seeing the traction control light more often than usual that morning
Attached Images

post #9 of 42 Old 07-27-2004, 01:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
Good one! :lol:
post #10 of 42 Old 07-27-2004, 02:01 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 383
in my spider? no way...i'm so afraid if it starts to leak. And as Stradale mentioned, when it rains, it pours. So i don't think the Spider's roof can hold on to massive amounts of rain constantly bashing the canvas roof.
post #11 of 42 Old 07-27-2004, 03:07 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids3fish
australia and snow :roll:
post #12 of 42 Old 07-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,132
Australia - In the Snowy mountains out west.
post #13 of 42 Old 07-27-2004, 10:00 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bob
australia and snow :roll:
I'm afraid I'm going to have to defend my colonial cousin, especially as he's the latest member of the "F-Club"!!!

Of course you get snow in Australia. Drive a couple of hours out of Sydney, into the mountains, and you can go skiing!!

Take a look at this ( http://www.ski.com.au/snowcams/hotham1.html ) It looks mighty like snow to me!!! :green:

Alternatively, pop down to Melbourne, and you'll occasionally get snow in the winter.

To be fair though - you don't get much snow in Alice, or Perth or Darwin or Broome or Cairns or Brisbane etc etc!!! :nuts:

As for the driving in rain - I'm the same as a lot of the guys here - the car is like my motorbike. If it looks like rain it stays in the garage. If I get caught out in the rain, I get wet!!
post #14 of 42 Old 07-27-2004, 10:10 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 293
Drive her in the rian. In fact have been caught out without the targe top and it began to rain. Drove to a nearby petrol station and waited it out. No worries.
post #15 of 42 Old 07-27-2004, 10:38 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
My dad and I got caught in bad weather in the Panther, as long as you drive 90 km/h you stay relatively dry. The real trouble begins when you enter the city and you can't drive faster than 30 km/h. Then you get wet
post #16 of 42 Old 07-27-2004, 10:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 187
I made the mistake of washing and waxing the 308 before a run down to the Northwest Historics on July 3rd. I left the house in sun with the top off. The rain started 5 miles later. I was so teed off I didn't pull over for another 20 miles. By then the rain had stopped and the roads were dry.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23254

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23288
Attached Images

SPASSO
308 V-12 Conversion click here.
"Oh yes, that is one of the very best ways to break these and it is also pretty dangerous. You really shouldn't do that". - mk e.
post #17 of 42 Old 07-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
driving in the rain

When its raining the ferrari shelterd at home. but when you are already
driving on the road and it started to rain and you are with this guy's you cannot hesitate to stop anymore. because you like to show to this two
maserati's and lamboo's that the ferrari flag always waves high.driving ferrari in the rain the horse is always tough :lol: 308ROB
Attached Images

post #18 of 42 Old 07-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
I would say I don't voluntarily drive it in the rain...I have a similar "motorcycle day" philosophy. Unfortunately in Michigan, where the weather forecasters do no better than random guessing (even when they look out the window) I've gotten caught a few times. When I moved to Michigan I ended up driving the car up from Ohio in rain the entire way.

My worst experience was right after I got my motorcycle and I got stuck in a hailstorm...weather forecasters said 10% chance of rain. The next morning the newspapers called it "a storm for the century."

1982 308GTSi
1987 MB 560SL
1993 Jeep Wrangler
2007 Porsche 911
post #19 of 42 Old 07-28-2004, 10:04 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
I try not to drive my Ferrari in the rain, but when I have to, I will. When I first got it I was so afraid to drive it in the rain that if it started raining I would pull under shade and wait to the rain stoped. :lol:
post #20 of 42 Old 06-02-2007, 11:28 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Hi there,

I'm not surprised that Ferrari can not make a decent soft top. Nobody needs one. Are you all scared of the rain? I'm driving one in Ireland, every day, lots of rain here!

MacDara

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode