The best Ferrari Magazine - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-08-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 535
The best Ferrari Magazine

I just wrote this on Ferrarichat.com, of which I am also a member, and though I would put it on Ferrarilife.com to see what the reaction I get here:
I thought it would be interesting to get member's consensus on which they think is the best current Ferrari Magazine (not including Ferrari's own publication, though some may wish to comment on that one as well). I currently read all 3 magazines and have read them sporadically for many years, the Ferrari Official Magazine on my iPad, and Cavallino and Forza Magazine in print because they are not available on the iPad. What are your thoughts?

"One thing I don't understand is how the market values of classic Ferrari's are determined. I read both Cavallino and Forza Magazine, both of which mark classic Ferrari values (Cavallino every month, Forza depending on the models they wish to highlight, and only sporadically during the year), and they seem to note very different values for the same generation of Ferraris in general. Forza Magazine tends to print lower values (perhaps to err on the side of caution), but in my personal experience Cavallino's printed values are a lot more accurate. Its interesting because I enjoy reading Forza more because they cover a wider range of topics on Ferrari, including tuners, etc..., which Cavallino tends to avoid, preferring to cover only authentic original Ferraris. Cavallino tends to be more in depth and accurate when it comes to classic Ferraris, and perhaps that's why they are better in predicting market values?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-08-2014, 10:55 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,872
I think the price really has more to do more with who writes that section. For Cavallino, that is Keith Bluemel and any helpers and based on a survey of several Ferrari dealers worldwide. For Forza, it is pretty much Michael Sheehan's personal opinion as a wholeseller of Ferraris. So, far different methods of pricing.

If you do not already do so, subscribe to Ferrari Market Letter and you will get a look at actual asking prices and averages based on those asking prices. Kind of pure data, except it is only asking and not selling price based. Especially valuable for Ferrari models with statistically significant numbers for sale, like F430s, etc. Less so for rarer models.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
I think the price really has more to do more with who writes that section. For Cavallino, that is Keith Bluemel and any helpers and based on a survey of several Ferrari dealers worldwide...
No Keith does the model list part but someone else does the prices. In fact, I thought it was Mike Sheehan who did the prices for Cavallino but I can't remember as it was a little while ago I had the conversation.

Jonathan

post #4 of 8 Old 01-13-2014, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 535
Thanks for your comments Taz, I may try subscribing to the Ferrari Market Letter as well.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-13-2014, 06:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
The market price indicators in Ferrari Market Letter have never made sense to me. It certainly is not based on prices from the ads in FML itself - I was a subscriber for years and have tried to tie the prices into what the market was doing, but to no avail. In particular, I paid attention to the 365BB prices and they were way, way, way under the asking prices in FML itself. This was not a once off - for at least 24 months I checked, the prices in the ads were far higher than the market price indicators. Just my $0.02.

Other than that, I found it a very worthwhile publication.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #6 of 8 Old 01-13-2014, 07:23 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Jonathan- I am pretty sure Sheehan is not doing the pricing for both Cavallino and Forza, especially since what I wrote on Cavallino is a direct quote from the magazine. There is no love lost between the two editorial staffs.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Jonathan- I am pretty sure Sheehan is not doing the pricing for both Cavallino and Forza, especially since what I wrote on Cavallino is a direct quote from the magazine. There is no love lost between the two editorial staffs.
I must confess I did type that without a copy of Cavallino in front of me. I recall I asked Keith about it a little while back and he told me he didn't do the pricing bit. I had it in my head it was Mike Sheehan but you're very likely correct that it isn't him.

As an aside, I have mentioned to Keith more than once that some of the production numbers in the Cavallino list are wrong and last time I checked they still weren't corrected (e.g. Challenge Stradale).

Jonathan
post #8 of 8 Old 01-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Jonathan- I need to write him a letter, too, because much of what he has on the late model Ferraris, especially the Maranellos, is incorrect.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode