New California Twin Turbo - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
New California Twin Turbo

It was just a matter of time - Ferrari states it will be all Ferrari components.

But

Maserati’s 3.8-liter twin-turbo V8 engine is good for 523 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque, which already trumps the 483 hp and 372 lb-ft of torque from the naturally-aspirated V8 in the current California (above). It won’t be just about the new engine as the next-generation California will get new body panels and an updated interior. Best of all, the new California is expected to make its debut next spring, likely in Geneva
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
It was just a matter of time - Ferrari states it will be all Ferrari components.

But

Maserati’s 3.8-liter twin-turbo V8 engine is good for 523 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque, which already trumps the 483 hp and 372 lb-ft of torque from the naturally-aspirated V8 in the current California (above). It won’t be just about the new engine as the next-generation California will get new body panels and an updated interior. Best of all, the new California is expected to make its debut next spring, likely in Geneva
Are you sure it's not the Maser V6 with twin stress fans? If they reduce the size of the car by 30-40% it could be quite the thing!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 09:44 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 931
Not that thrilled.....

post #4 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Are you sure it's not the Maser V6 with twin stress fans? If they reduce the size of the car by 30-40% it could be quite the thing!
I was told V8 - with all the safety standards of the Cali can't imagine how they will reduce weight unless it had a carbon tub which I don't think Ferrari is ready for.

Capo - go grab the new Alfa
post #5 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post

Capo - go grab the new Alfa
I would but I have a Dino!

Besides, upon our insistence when at the factory, they will make a 4C with a Maserati V6 (designed by Ferrari) and a Maserati badge. That's a better choice! Better still if they supercharge that V6 and stick a Dino badge on the car...!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
Next-Generation Ferrari California to Bow in Spring, Get Twin-Turbo V-8
December 18, 2013 at 12:45 pm by Alexander Stoklosa

Last edited by viscount aero; 12-19-2013 at 10:41 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
Ferrari’s Engine Problem | The Truth About Cars

"One of the keys to Maserati’s success as a brand, is the fact that its engines are supplied by Ferrari, a “secret” kept by precisely nobody and referenced in every Maserati review ever written..."
post #8 of 8 Old 12-19-2013, 02:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 655
The new Cali is a reworking of the current car in the same vein as the 360 to 430 model change. I was speaking to someone who saw the car a few weeks ago and he said it looks great. The design team consulted a number of current California owners to see what aspects of the design they would like to see changed. The front grille is much wider, the side vents on the front wings have gone and are replaced by an air outlet that flows into a recess along the side of the bod. The vent on the bonnet has been replaced by two air scoops which look much better in his opinion. The rear deck height has been lowered by 10mm which he said may not sound like much but alters the stance of the car significantly. The rear lights have been pushed further out towards the edge of body. The vertically stacked exhausts have been replaced by horizontal pipes and the large grey panel on the bootlid where the licence plate sits has been removed. The overall effect reduces the "bulky" look of the tail of the current car and visually gives it a lower, wider stance even though the width remains the same. The interior was hidden from view so I don't know what they have changed but was told the media unit has been replaced by a much more up to date system

Current: F50, 246 GT (x 2), 246 GTS
Past: 360M, F430 spider, 430 Scuderia,
California (x 2), 458 Italia (x 2), 458 spider, 246 GT

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode