AC COBRA: Experts Opinions Please - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 132 Old 12-14-2013, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
AC COBRA: Experts Opinions Please

I posted some pics of AC Cobras that I took today. They look like spectacular American muscle open cars which I have near zero knowledge.

Would appreciate if people out here with knowledge would chime in for opinions and comments so that I can build up mine to look for one with intelligence.

Casually found one for offer in UK which is a brushed aluminum specimen and looks gorgeous. Potential acquisition in the US or the Continent may lead to some exciting plans in the future. Thanx in advance.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

PS. I posted number of pics in the thread by David on open top cars search in the Discussion section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 12:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
I posted some pics of AC Cobras that I took today. They look like spectacular American muscle open cars which I have near zero knowledge.

Would appreciate if people out here with knowledge would chime in for opinions and comments so that I can build up mine to look for one with intelligence.

Casually found one for offer in UK which is a brushed aluminum specimen and looks gorgeous. Potential acquisition in the US or the Continent may lead to some exciting plans in the future. Thanx in advance.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

PS. I posted number of pics in the thread by David on open top cars search in the Discussion section.
Jimmy I am by no means an expert but the AC Cobra was originally a Brittish car which Ford bought. I suppose it is a similar story how Ford wanted to buy Ferrari! I am a new comer to automotive investor pieces but original cobras MUST be SERIOUS investment pieces. Here in the backward land of OZ a knock off is worth $160,000 AUD.

By all accounts these cars are a pinnacle of automotive excellence. Just like the FGT! (which of course spitefully sent Ferrari backwards).

I obviously both admire you and congratulate you. All of my sensible investments are just holding ground. Rare automobiles could just be the answer.

Trying not to get too excited about it, but WOW, WOW and WOW!!! If you get an original AC please let me know and that would give me yet another reason to visit Tokyo. I would gladly invite you both to dinner to celebrate!

Many smiles in return,

David.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali
post #3 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner

David, thanx to you for my lesson 101 !

I always seemed to have a soft spot for an American muscle cars (?), and among the ones that floated in my mind in the past, these Cobras seem to hit that spot.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

post #4 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
David, thanx to you for my lesson 101 !

I always seemed to have a soft spot for an American muscle cars (?), and among the ones that floated in my mind in the past, these Cobras seem to hit that spot.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Raw power and engineering. Get the right one and create history my friend!!!!!

David.

post #5 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Owner

Hi Jimmy,

Don't want to scare you off. The replicas are still great! BUT keep it away from the GTO.

Still smiling,

David.
post #6 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 02:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 217
The Cobra Story goes far back.... so far, it started with an Ferrari 166 Barchetta!

John Tojeiro build a racecar for Cliff Davis in 1953 with a 2 litre 6 cylider engine. The car got a body very similar to the 166 Touring Barchetta. Mr Davis had a successfull year with the car.

Soon there was demand for more of these cars. Ernie Bailey wanted one and had knowen the bad seling of AC´s cars. So the platform was used by AC to build their AC Ace. Mr Tojeiro only got 5 Pound for each of the first 100 cars...

And the rest in short: Shelby took one and put a big american engine in it! (I think everyone knows the rest)

Last edited by m1076; 12-15-2013 at 03:19 AM.
post #7 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner

m1076, that is going waaaaaaay back ! More like -101 for me!

Stupid me to say this, but I thought Cobra was a US thing by the late Mr. Carroll Shelby with Ford engine ? And AC is an UK car make ?

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #8 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 03:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 217
It all started in GB!

The "only" thning Mr Shelby did, was to put a big V8 into a small British Car and called it Cobra.

BTW: Mr Shelby went to court to defend "his" design, so that there no unallowed fakes anymore. The Judge just said, that it is silly, as he already stolen the design and should have a look to Italy...

Next sidenote: a very well knowen Cobra builder is very near to my home. They build Cobras with 730 up to 1200 HP!!!

Weineck in Bad Gandersheim

My Dad has been there two days ago, as a friend needs an enginerebuild for his Iso (but it will be std configuration).
post #9 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner

m1076, sounds like so much goes on in those forests in Germany ! Sounds fun ?

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #10 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
The story is AC was going to loose his engine suplier and Shelby knew it. He took arrangment with AC and went shopping for a motor. GM turned him down so he went to Ford. He got some cars shipped to him in California and the Cobra was born(short story). AC built the chassis Under Shelby's specification with bigger frames and bracing and also some body modification. The first serie was CSX2000. Depending what you are looking for the 289 and the 427 are very different. The 427 has been so much reproduced that today I kind of prefer the more original look of the 289 with the wire wheels.

Last edited by godabitibi; 12-15-2013 at 07:45 AM.
post #11 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Owner

Are you looking for the real deal or a reproduction?
post #12 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Owner

I have been chasing CSX2002 many years ago. It was here in Québec but when I got contact with Mr Ouelet the car was already sold. It was then yellow and I have two Québec period books and magazine with pictures and story of the car when it was racing around here. This was the FIRST factory race car.

http://www.sport-cars.org/serve.php?t=cobracsx2002
post #13 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by godabitibi View Post
Are you looking for the real deal or a reproduction?
Claude, thanx for your inputs. You see, I can barely tell the differences. So far, at least I seem to get the fact that there are two engine types.

Quickly glancing over the price ranges, obviously there are numerous repros out there. Originals would be nice but not sure of the market ranges still. No doubt it varies considerably on provenances.

At this point, at least to me, is that a Cobra looks exciting and like a fun car to own.

Wonder if the originals were made in alloy bodies or steel.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #14 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Jimmy, the original AC cobra is still made. It has two engine options , both from Corvette.

AC Cobra MK VI - YouTube

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #15 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Capo, thanx !

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #16 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Owner

FWIW,

https://www.hagerty.com/price-guide/1965-Shelby-Cobra

David.

post #17 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Owner

Capo they do make Cobra today but these are what I call repro. Do they still make REAL 250GTO ?
The real Cobra were built up to 1968. Anything after that is a copy. Or a rerun like some like to say. But NOT THE REAL THING!

Original were steel tubing frame on a round ladder type chassis with aluminum body panels. Very early cars had 260 engines then had 289 engines and later came the 427 side oiler. At the end of production some cars had 428 in it but were still called 427 Cobra. There have also been different suspension configuration over the years.

Most inexpensive reproductions are fiberglass body on a corvette type chassis with modern suspension and drive train.
Some manufacturer are making very nice reproduction almost the same way they did back then with steel frames and alloy body but they are expensive. They even went as far as recasting the 427 block out of alloy.

If you are looking for the LOOK of it you can find Cobra kit for less than 50K but if you are looking for the real thing you can spend $1,000,000. Or anything in between depending what you want.

Last edited by godabitibi; 12-15-2013 at 03:10 PM.
post #18 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Owner

Total real Cobra production including 260,289,427 and 428 is 1,003 units.
post #19 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Claude, loads of thanx for your comments. Looks like it is a long way before I can make any sensible decisions.

Would you consider the productions of Superformance in Riverside, CA. as repro also ? ( I know it may be technically). Seems like their claims are that they are licensed officially by Shelby and their productions are faithful to the original specs.
I am still not very familiar with the various models, but their price range seems a lot more reasonable than many out there. Quality seems very good from a novice like myself.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #20 of 132 Old 12-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Owner

Jimmy, I don't really know them but reading their website they describe it as a repro. It is a fiberglass body. This is what I call a Cobra kit. If you ever buy one of those kit please buy one with a FORD engine.
If you can afford what I call a recreation with the SAME original type construction they are very well done and more accurate.

Good shopping!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode