Issues on "other" great classics ?! Your thoughts. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-10-2013, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Issues on "other" great classics ?! Your thoughts.

On the other thread, we discuss about some other great classic cars, convertibles in that case. I'm sure many of us have lusted in between for other great classics as well. Sometimes These cares are surrounded by true or half true stories about lots of issues and Problems. As we have so many competent mechanics, owners or previous owners of those great cars (still respecting that we are on FerrariLife here) would you share your common knowledge and experience about possible issues on the 3 types of cars below in regards to:

1. Build Quality of Body
2. Engine Quality and reliability
3. Suspension/Chassis construction

Cars:

1. Jaguar E Type 1st. series
2. Alfa Romeos 1965-75
3. Porsche 911's from 1965-1975
4. Lamborghini's from 1965 - 1975

Thanks for any reply !!

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,872
212- All of those listed were known for rusting like the fasteners in an old Mini.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,502
I can only speak from practical experience of your chosen E-type, having owned a 4.2 S1 OTS for almost 15 years. Bodywork quality was not good. Very much built down to a price, lots of places for rust to take hold before it becomes visible and little or no rust-proofing. However, and in part for this reason, most have been restored, so can be now perfectly OK. It just depends on the quality of the restoration. I never had any problems with the engine / drive train in mine and I would say that they are pretty good. Some of the ancillaries and switchgear can be a bit troublesome, but no more than for other cars of that era. Parts wear out like any car, but most are readily obtainable and not overly expensive (certainly not by Ferrari standards!), but the quality of some re-manufactured parts is variable.

I have never owned an Alfa, but my understanding is that the bodywork build quality issues that they shared with other Italian makes, e.g. Lancia, at one particular period (1970s?) were down to the use of poor quality recycled steel, that actually had "built-in" rust, so they never had a chance. The 105 series 4-cylinders engines have, I believe, a good reputation for strength and reliability, but I do not speak from personal experience.

My 911 is later than your period, so again my knowledge is limited, but it is well known that the earlier the car the worse the corrosion problem as Porsche went to part galvanised steel bodywork at, I think, around the end of your chosen period, before finally going to all galvanised later on. That aspect aside, Porsche quality is generally very good all round. Engines are reliable, but those in cars like mine (964) generally require a re-build at around 100,000 miles. Not sure about the earlier ones, but I imagine it may be the same.

I wish I could speak from experience of early Lambo ownership, but sadly I can't! Issues with engines in early Miuras, were, I believe, resolved in later versions, when the engine oil was separated from the gearbox oil or something like that.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport

post #4 of 7 Old 12-10-2013, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
I can only speak from practical experience of your chosen E-type, having owned a 4.2 S1 OTS for almost 15 years. Bodywork quality was not good. Very much built down to a price, lots of places for rust to take hold before it becomes visible and little or no rust-proofing. However, and in part for this reason, most have been restored, so can be now perfectly OK. It just depends on the quality of the restoration. I never had any problems with the engine / drive train in mine and I would say that they are pretty good. Some of the ancillaries and switchgear can be a bit troublesome, but no more than for other cars of that era. Parts wear out like any car, but most are readily obtainable and not overly expensive (certainly not by Ferrari standards!), but the quality of some re-manufactured parts is variable.

I have never owned an Alfa, but my understanding is that the bodywork build quality issues that they shared with other Italian makes, e.g. Lancia, at one particular period (1970s?) were down to the use of poor quality recycled steel, that actually had "built-in" rust, so they never had a chance. The 105 series 4-cylinders engines have, I believe, a good reputation for strength and reliability, but I do not speak from personal experience.

My 911 is later than your period, so again my knowledge is limited, but it is well known that the earlier the car the worse the corrosion problem as Porsche went to part galvanised steel bodywork at, I think, around the end of your chosen period, before finally going to all galvanised later on. That aspect aside, Porsche quality is generally very good all round. Engines are reliable, but those in cars like mine (964) generally require a re-build at around 100,000 miles. Not sure about the earlier ones, but I imagine it may be the same.

I wish I could speak from experience of early Lambo ownership, but sadly I can't! Issues with engines in early Miuras, were, I believe, resolved in later versions, when the engine oil was separated from the gearbox oil or something like that.
Thanks for your lengthy comment. Very Kind !

Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #5 of 7 Old 12-10-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
212- All of those listed were known for rusting like the fasteners in an old Mini.
Haha i thought so too.....but was also interested in the engines reliabilty as These had pretty different constructional layouts (i.e. Longstroke versus shortstroke versus inline etc.)

post #6 of 7 Old 12-31-2013, 12:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 124
I can answer in regards to the Series 1 E-Types, being on my 4th at this time. My first 3 were roadsters (OTS); a 3.8 and (2) 4.2's. Great cars, especially for their time & at the price in the day. The drivetrain was nearly bulletproof...strong engine, very strong gearbox & ultra strong limited slip diff. The 3.8's were unfortunately stuck with the non-synchro 1st gear box, remedied with the 4.2 version with an all-synchro box. Both got hotter than hell when driven, making the tunnel a less than perfect place to rest your theigh against. As usual the electrics (fuses etc.) suffered at the hands of the Prince of Darkness, Lucas, but regular maintenance helped. Tuning the 3 SU's was not as difficult as one might think but required patience and keeping to procedure. The stock distributor's points needed upkeep, so nowadays replacing the POS distributor with a proper electronic one (such as Mallory) is an excellent idea. The rear suspension incorporated inboard discs, meaning the need to drop the entire rear subframe to redo the brakes (discs, calipers etc.) which is of course not a one-day job for most of us. The front discs were not that great, so the availability of Wilwoods these days is a real boon to the ability to stop from speed. Speaking of speed, having little control of airflow (as is now expected!) should you get to the mid-130's someday be sure your life insurance policy is paid up, since the E-Type tended to get very, very light in the front end at that speed. Spoilers DO have a purpose, however the E-Type had none. So sad! As for other issues the car was constructed with mild steel, with little if any actual rustproofing. All undercoating really did was to keep the rust attached. Any potential purchaser should inspect the underbody most especially for rust issues, and not just the floorpan, either...from licence plate to bonnet valence and front subframe tubing, the lot.

The 2 photos are of the rear & interior, I need to take photos of the front which I'll do shortly.

In the USA two suppliers stand out: XK'S unlimited in San Luis Obispo, CA, and Welsch's in Ohio. Both are reliable and generally complement one another on the stuff they have.

If anyone needs more info on restoration, finding bits etc. feel free to send me a PM . I've just finished restoring my 4th, a '66 E-Type coupe, from the ground up (on a rotisserie), over the last 7 years.
Attached Images

post #7 of 7 Old 01-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
wow - just gorgeous! The early 4.2 is my all-time favorite Jaguar; and your color combo is eerily similar to the one I have chosen in restoring my Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode