Enzo on ebay, why? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-24-2004, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Enzo on ebay, why?

Do you think selling an Enzo on ebay really gets the seller more money? It would seem to me that after the % you have to pay to ebay it wouldn't make you as much as if you sold it out right to a buyer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...482842503&rd=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-24-2004, 03:20 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 900
I need tell my friend about that. He's going to Chicago and will see the Enzo that Bentley Gold Coast has.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-24-2004, 03:47 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 218
There was one for sale from Riyahdi, Saudi Arabia a few months back

post #4 of 11 Old 06-24-2004, 05:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
I agree Andrew. There is a belief that selling at auction will return to the seller the highest price (ignoring commission, of course).. This is NOT the case. Selling at auction only gives you a price just higher than the SECOND-place bidder was prepared to pay.

For example, an Enzo sells on ebay for $1m. The second-highest bid may have been $999K. The top-bidder only had to go past the "limit" of #2 to get the car, even though he/she may have been prepared to pay say $1.2m.

You will get a better price by NOT letting potential buyers know what they are up against - ie selling by tender or direct. Then #1 would have to offer up to $1.2m if he really wanted to get it.

My 2c worth :wink:
post #5 of 11 Old 06-24-2004, 07:21 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 776
And, right now (as of this post), the high bidder actually has a negative feedback score. Only last month he/she was labeled with "non paying bidder beware no response to emails".
Ebay is not a sure fire way to make money on auctions. Too many scammers out there.

Do you think God stays in Heaven because she is afraid of what she sees down here?

Owner and Operator of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. A few mods here and there... but just you wait and see what I have in store for her...
post #6 of 11 Old 06-25-2004, 03:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
In my owners manual, it written very boldly that Ferraris not imported through the US dealers will have their warranty void.

So that's why US Ferraris have higher value when compared to non-US ones. Even if the Enzos that are available out of the US are cheaper they're not attractive to the buyers.

The guy would have paid US700,000+ when he bought it from the factory, so now he already ahs a US200,000+ premium!!
post #7 of 11 Old 06-26-2004, 05:01 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 900
Yay, my parents told me this morning that we're going to Chicago next weekend. I'm gonna try to see this Enzo and the one at Bentley Gold Coast.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-26-2004, 05:09 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 895
Hmm, so I guess Ebay really isn't worth the trouble for a seller. As Robert said, there are alot of scammers on Ebay as well...
post #9 of 11 Old 06-26-2004, 07:57 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso
Hmm, so I guess Ebay really isn't worth the trouble for a seller. As Robert said, there are alot of scammers on Ebay as well...
Well, for some items it's good. But those are small and easily shipped. I just sold a 1:64 scale car for $20 on eBay. It will cost me $3.85 to ship it. So there is a little bit of money earned. I also just recently sold a set of cars for right at $200. I only paid $20 for it so that was $175 profit. ($5 listing fee from eBay)

Once you start thinking about cars...well, the price you pay to eBay for the listing is expensive to begin with. Add that to the buyers inability to actually see the car in person; it makes them not as willing to part with their money. You would do better to put in in a live auction such as Barrett Jackson or one similar. That way, buyers can touch and see the car first and they are more sure of what they are buying therefore more willing to pay a higher premium.

But that's just my experience.

Do you think God stays in Heaven because she is afraid of what she sees down here?

Owner and Operator of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. A few mods here and there... but just you wait and see what I have in store for her...
post #10 of 11 Old 06-27-2004, 07:48 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 101
i just saw that 2 days ago and was wondering the same thing

Owner of A Ferrari & Fan of Ferrari
post #11 of 11 Old 06-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,132
I could not imagine spending $10k, much less $700k, on a car that I had not seen, driven, and had throughly inspected. An Enzo on Ebay makes no sense to me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode