SA Fled cars. A short try for an analysis - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-05-2013, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
SA Fled cars. A short try for an analysis

Some has been written before about on the SA Fled trip. As any Body may kick in for additional comments and as we SA Fled attendees discussed the subject intensively under us again some thoughts to each type:

308 GTSi: Besides the much mor younger and newer 964 Carrera4, the 308 GTSi felt as the best balanced, roadhoalding, curve driving car. For me the final prove was the 20km pass drive runup before descending to Franschhoek. The car just flew...and I had a co driver with me. As with the 911 E, the 308 has to be driven constantly between 5500 and 7500 rpm's to explore the engine's beauty. A wonderful car. Nimble, great roadholding and a still "cheap" way to enjoy best classic Ferrari experience with not too much worries involved. Additionally after driving that 308 for over a week, I sincerely do ask myself if the 308 carb/i(QV question is not a litttle to esotheric Extended and I was surprised by the "i"'s abilities.

911E: Extremely light, nimble and fantastic colour, Great feel to sit and work inside the cabin. Great overview visibility wise, a Little 2.2 litre 155 HP engine...but WHAT a engine. It becomes pretty clear soon to the enthusiast, why the little engine/light weight outlay made Porsche one of the best competitors with the 550/356/911 concept throughout the 50/60/70's. No doubt about it. This little 911 E gives you all the blast you need to know on a still financiable level to grasp the Porsche's great racing history. That at the same moment, this 911 E is easily to be driven throughout Johannisburg heavy traffic is selfspeaking. Important: In the beginning, we had to much tires pressure on the front axle and that's why the car started to move around at speeds above *60. After correcting, the car behaved faultless. As with the 308 (or even more) the "E" needs to be runned from 5500 rpm's onward. John instructed us the following: If you feel the gear your in is just right then get 1 gear lower and it will fly. Drive it to the corner not too fast, constantly have a light pressure on the gazpedal throughout the curve and increas it linearily after the apex. The cars talks so well to you. He was right.

911 Turbo: Brutish, fierce, fast...reminded me at the great White and the F40, although in a different league. Very comfortable and a supercar in every means at the time. It's the easiest car to hold up with anything else but on the way to it may become a handful. Interestingly for me not acceleration wise, as many may expect, because of the turbo lag. But rather more so on the danger of arriving at a curve to fast and needing to brake a little into the curve. Then the back may become inherently quickly unstable and eventually start the fiasko which potentially could occur. Definitively the 911 Turbo (1981) needs a very disciplined experienced hand to fully exploit it's potential. But once this is possible, the Turbo opens all possibilities to run everything into the ground, with the senses of correct steering, flexible/soft and adaptive acceleration pedal and a constant 3rd dimension (after speed and apex) on your mind: The Turbo needle !

964 Carrera4: Yes a modern car feel wise and still already almost 25 years old. Fast (almost as the 911 Turbo, as our real test on the straights showed) and definitively much more exact to gearshift, handle and more aerodinamic, adaptiv and faster that the G-Model line of 911 Porsche's.

Just my 2 Cents.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 01:06 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Great sum-up, Rolf! Here is my take:

964 Carrera
Much quicker than on paper specs suggest. Quick, close gear shift. Lovely 3.6 motor that loves to rev. Great all-rounder.
308 GTSi
If I was driving fast through the bends on a strange road, this would be my choice. Fantastic handling and balance where one can enter a corner too fast and back off mid-corner. One has lots of options before and during the corners. Excellent targa top design with minimal buffeting with the roof off. Gorgeous lines, particularly with the top off. Feels slower than the E but is actually faster, it is so effortless that it disguises its true speed. Serious greenhouse effect in the Karoo, even with the top on. As my much darker left arm in comparison to my right arm will testify. A gorgeous Ferrari!
911E
Built in September 1969 as a 1970 2.2 model. Mechanical fuel injection, weighing in at 1,050 kg including fluids. A pure 911 driving machine. For the first six years of ownership she was my daily driver. We covered over 100,000km together including three years of time trialling. Race on Saturday, drive to work on Monday! Now that she is being driven regularly by Mike and he is keeping on top of maintenance issues as a result, she has never felt better. We bonded again on this trip as it came back to me that this car has one of the biggest hearts of all. Drive her the way she wants, adapt to her and she will fight all day way above her weight. Keep the revs between 4000-6000rpm and she simply flies with the big thin-rimmed steering wheel wiggling in the hands as she dances with you, telling you everything about the road. Bends require foresight and commitment, slow in, fast out and she gives the 308 a hard time. Much more room for error in the 308 though!
The biggest surprise for me. I knew that she is very fast in a straight line and that the turbo can be spooled in at will, progressively or aggressively. In the fast bends, driven with commitments, respect and foresight and she came alive. The steerig wheel danced in my hands like that of the E, although she never danced like the E but she told me loud and clear what she was up to in planted sort of way (whew! It is scary when she does move around). Rather bring the turbo in progressively once set up before the bend, bring the turbo in more aggressively just before the apex (not at the apex like the 911E which is a more precise instrument) and she just hunkers down to the road and slingshots out of the bends that would leave the other three in her wake. Get it wrong though and the other three will cruise past as one lags off boost. Or as one goes off the road backwards with too much boost too soon. Huge thrills and greater speed than the others to be had IF one has clear sight of where the road is going and one is fully immersed in the driving. A true supercar and legend!

Each time I drove each of these beauties I fell for each of their singular charms and appreciated more what the others had to offer. I would be happy to take any of them home. The 930 has etched a special place in my heart togethe with the E in a totally different way. Ying and Yang.

David

Current: 365BB, 550 bluebird and a few 911's
Past: 246gt, 512BB, 308 GTB "Michalone" and a few 911's
post #3 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 04:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
Great sum-up, Rolf! Here is my take:

964 Carrera
Much quicker than on paper specs suggest. Quick, close gear shift. Lovely 3.6 motor that loves to rev. Great all-rounder.
After 12 years and 60,000 miles of ownership ('89 C2 coupe), I'll second that.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport

post #4 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
After 12 years and 60,000 miles of ownership ('89 C2 coupe), I'll second that.
The 964 C4 would be a marvellous winter car here in the Alps, I assume. It's on the radar for future fun/practical cars to own.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Great write-ups, nice to read. By and large 212export and Vitalone seem to be in perfect agreement. It is great that they are all so different and you got to experience them all. Variety is the spice of life!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #6 of 9 Old 12-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
There's not much I can add here to 212 and Vitalone's excellent reports.

911E
Personally I was very impressed by the 911E, once I had found out how to not start it in 3rd gear on a gravel slope... . The E, to me, feels like it is dancing on the tarmac, very light, it moves around and the steering wheel is never stationary. Whilst it was too light at the front on the first day, the adjustment of tyre pressures transformed it into a fantastic handling machine, not too powerful, but with plenty of power to keep you fully entertained on the twisties. The Franschoek pass and the 911E will be forever etched in my memory. A truly wonderful driving experience.

930 Turbo
Awesome power and incredible fun over (and under!) 4,000 rpm. It has incredible presence on the road and whilst it is lethal in the wrong hands, can also work as a very drivable car under the turbo kick in. Extremely comfortable, effortless for long drives and surprisingly agile in the bends. An iconic 911. I enjoyed every mile in the Turbo, but given the choice I would probably opt for the lower powered 911E, for sheer handling fun.

Planted and solid are the words that come to mind. Very capable, lovely short throw gearbox and definitely a car you could drive everyday. With the roof off, on a warm summers evening, and with 80's music setting the mood, I couldn't think of a better way to drive home though Cape Town after dinner last week!

308 GTSi
I enjoyed this car from both the inside and outside. Chasing the GTS (in the 911E) through the Franschoek pass was like a scene from a movie. The Pininfarina lines are simply (and I admit, subjectively) the most beautiful lines one could imagine. With the targa roof removed it looks perfect on the road. In the drivers seat, it was the car that I was most comfortable in, in terms of knowing what it will do in the corners, under braking etc (but then it is what I am used to). Absolutely sweet handling, a lot more room for error with the mid engined Ferrari to any of the rear engined Ps, and simply devine through the corners, holding a tight line and powering out the other side ready for the next hairpin, dab the breaks, drop a gear, nicely balanced, power on, and here we go again!! I loved it.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #7 of 9 Old 12-07-2013, 02:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
You guys ought to be car salesmen or car magazine contributors !!!

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #8 of 9 Old 12-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 439
Fantastic to hear the different perspectives from each of you.

I can't comment on the 964 as I haven't really driven it in anger. The others however are my daily drivers and it's great to hear other people's views on the cars!

Current: '81 308 GTSi; '81 Porsche 911 Turbo, '70 Porsche 911E, '94 Lamborghini Diablo VT; '00 Porsche 996 GT3; '07 Aston Martin Vantage
Past:
Ferrari: '81 308 GTSi
Porsche: '68 911S; '73 911 RS Rep; '81 911SC; '84 Carrera; '87 928S4;
Other: '04 Subaru WRX
post #9 of 9 Old 12-08-2013, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher View Post
Fantastic to hear the different perspectives from each of you.

I can't comment on the 964 as I haven't really driven it in anger. The others however are my daily drivers and it's great to hear other people's views on the cars!
Thanks again Mike. Epic your generosity !

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode