What do you all do for a living? - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 Old 11-28-2013, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 21
What do you all do for a living?

Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and really into Ferraris. I was just wondering what all you Ferrari owners do for a living. Thanks
Landon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 68 Old 11-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Owner
 
Lightweight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago
Ferrari Life Posts: 55
dig ditches
Lightweight is offline  
post #3 of 68 Old 11-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LaSarre,Quebec,Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 150
Teaching, mechanic
godabitibi is offline  
 
post #4 of 68 Old 11-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and really into Ferraris. I was just wondering what all you Ferrari owners do for a living. Thanks
How can you be into Ferraris yet preferring to ask what people do for a living?!

Please read previous threads on the same bla bla and reflect.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #5 of 68 Old 11-28-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 21
I'm 15. Want to go to college for business and was curious what others do to be able to afford a Ferrari.
Landon is offline  
post #6 of 68 Old 11-28-2013, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
How can you be into Ferraris yet preferring to ask what people do for a living?!

Please read previous threads on the same bla bla and reflect.
I'm 15. Want to go to college for business and was curious to see what others do to be able to afford a Ferrari
Landon is offline  
post #7 of 68 Old 11-28-2013, 08:34 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Piemonte, Italia
Ferrari Life Posts: 58
Right now I'm a newspaper reporter, but I'm trying to work my way up. At night I go to school learning how to become a pimp, but I'm also studying drug dealing, purse snatching, and pornography on the side. One day I hope to break out of my current situation and gain some respect.

I remember how proud I was when I excaped from being an elected politicion and got my newspaper job. People stopped spitting in my face and now they only spit on my shoes. When I eventually get to become a fully qualified pimp, I'm sure I'll be held in higher esteem.

I hate to put too much mileage on my Ferrari, so when I'm not out on the roads practicing my drunk driving skills, I'm really enjoying that new "knock out game".
Mozella is offline  
post #8 of 68 Old 11-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pacific North West
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
I'm 15. Want to go to college for business and was curious to see what others do to be able to afford a Ferrari
At age 15 I stayed off Ferrari Forums and studied my ass off.

Now I just spend all day on car forums, but I am over 40.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
markjayw is offline  
post #9 of 68 Old 11-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Owner
 
16M Down Under's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjayw View Post
At age 15 I stayed off Ferrari Forums and studied my ass off.

Now I just spend all day on car forums, but I am over 40.
I endorse your advice Mark. Landon, don't worry about Ferraris, worry about working hard to support and love your eventual family. Unless your parents are wealthy, you are super intelligent or an entrepreneurial genius, there are no short cuts. If you are the sort of guy asking these questions then I doubt that you meet the previous sentences requirements. So Landon, it just comes down to hard work and saving, regardless of what you do.

Good luck,

David.
16M Down Under is offline  
post #10 of 68 Old 11-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Owner
 
scotts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Winter Park, Florida
Ferrari Life Posts: 470
IT varies

Landon
Welcome to Ferrari life.

There are some things people feel funny about discussing on an open forum. The responses you got are more about the topic than the people. Some people will welcome and offer meaningful responses and others will just , well you see.

The answer to your question is we do a variety of things and most of us enjoy what we do and do it well. I am a surgeon and enjoy the work I do and the benefit to others.

Mark is right about one thing and do not mistake it- most of us worked hard in some way to do what we do- I worked hard to become a surgeon and work hard every day. Others positioned themselves well in an industry that they learned/knew/ and capitalize on value or competitive advantage in some way.

The real question is what do you want to do and how will cars/Ferraris/ etc fit in your life? The cars are not a goal to most of us- but a benefit of the other goals. If that makes sense.

Good luck, study hard at whatever moves you.

Scott

I have regretted often, but repented never. Is this a good thing? -Enzo Ferrari
2012 California Argento Nurburgring /Nero 2005 F430 Nero 6spd. 2009 Maserati GT-S F1
scotts is offline  
post #11 of 68 Old 11-28-2013, 09:30 PM
 
chenglo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Midwest
Ferrari Life Posts: 531
forum rules

Unless I have the forums confused we aren't supposed to ask such questions? However its an innocent question from someone looking to dream big...hence I will bite...

Pharmacist, small business owner and field instructor for the university are the hats I wear. I actually dont have much time to enjoy my ferrari due to work or professional organizations and family rsponsibilities.
Dream big is all I can say... just dont forget to factor in the other parts of life...house? School loans? Wifes spending habits?
chenglo1 is offline  
post #12 of 68 Old 11-29-2013, 01:14 AM
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Ok Landon, you're only 15 so I'm going to give you a break.

As you can see in our replies the jargon can be quite jolly so you must be able to take some humour here at FL and also in life for that matter. Personally I enjoyed Mozzella's reply a lot and that's because I'm proudly childish. Prepare yourself for battle and also for celebration and never take yourself too seriously - this is a sound piece of advice for you to carry through life.

Further,
Avoid connecting your identity to what you do for a living, even when extremely obvious like for a football super star or a Nobel Price laureate. The more your life consists of work the harder this becomes. Many are those who lose their identity when they retire because they committed this mistake. I see more of this in the US and less in Europe where in fact it is an insult to ask what you do for a living in an introductory phase of a friendship or acquaintance. Let people tell when you have earned it, is a great tradition. I am aware that many like to use the "what do you do for a living?" as an ice breaker but I'm going to tell you right now that it is not elegant and elegance goes a long way.

At FL there has been a bundle of guys opening up exactly like you did and it is booooring. You are only 15 so you can learn from this and restart by just cruising around in the forum enjoying the conversations. Begin engaging little by little by showing interest in the cars.

Get a used 125cc MX bike and start living the motor dream in an affordable dimension. You may be awarded with great cars along the way if you are talented to make your moves, if you are committed to sacrifice and if you have an edge.

I wish you all luck my friend!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.

Last edited by il Capolino; 11-29-2013 at 01:21 AM.
il Capolino is offline  
post #13 of 68 Old 11-29-2013, 01:46 AM
Owner
 
Italian Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Far end of the P pond
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Landon, welcome to FL. I commend your inquisitive mind and courage to ask.

To answer your question in one bite, we all come from different walks of life with the common interest and passion for F cars and others. Therefore, what we do for living is only secondary.

For someone of your age, it is understandable to be inquisitive and ask. When I was fifteen back then, car did not enter my thoughts one bit. I believe I was too preoccupied with my daily chores and duties and dealing with my own predicaments.

You are already years ahead of me. Simply enjoy what is in front of you. It may be hard to believe, but with the right attitude (frame of mind), things do fall into places, maybe not always, but most of the time. To me, that is more than enough.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Italian Lover is offline  
post #14 of 68 Old 11-29-2013, 04:16 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LaSarre,Quebec,Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 150
Landon I understand your asking and many young people faced the same dilemma. I'm a teacher and many of my students don't really know what they wanted and choose the course because it was close to home and knew there is a lot of work around here in this trade because of mining.

My answer is try to find something that get your interest and if possible try to go for a day to see what it's really like.

What ever you chose to do if a Ferrari is one of your goal you'll get one if you work hard toward it. Keep in mind you can buy a older model that you like and some are cheap compare to new cars and are still a Ferrari.

Good luck, try to be one of the best in what you do and life will reward you.
godabitibi is offline  
post #15 of 68 Old 11-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Owner
 
Bluebottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Exeter, England
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
Right now I'm a newspaper reporter, but I'm trying to work my way up. At night I go to school learning how to become a pimp, but I'm also studying drug dealing, purse snatching, and pornography on the side. One day I hope to break out of my current situation and gain some respect.

I remember how proud I was when I excaped from being an elected politicion and got my newspaper job. People stopped spitting in my face and now they only spit on my shoes. When I eventually get to become a fully qualified pimp, I'm sure I'll be held in higher esteem.

I hate to put too much mileage on my Ferrari, so when I'm not out on the roads practicing my drunk driving skills, I'm really enjoying that new "knock out game".
Confirms everything I always suspected about Italians
Are you related to Silvio Berlusconi?

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
Website: http://bluebottleonline.com/
Bluebottle is offline  
post #16 of 68 Old 11-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pacific North West
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts View Post
Landon
Welcome to Ferrari life.

There are some things people feel funny about discussing on an open forum. The responses you got are more about the topic than the people. Some people will welcome and offer meaningful responses and others will just , well you see.

The answer to your question is we do a variety of things and most of us enjoy what we do and do it well. I am a surgeon and enjoy the work I do and the benefit to others.

Mark is right about one thing and do not mistake it- most of us worked hard in some way to do what we do- I worked hard to become a surgeon and work hard every day. Others positioned themselves well in an industry that they learned/knew/ and capitalize on value or competitive advantage in some way.

The real question is what do you want to do and how will cars/Ferraris/ etc fit in your life? The cars are not a goal to most of us- but a benefit of the other goals. If that makes sense.

Good luck, study hard at whatever moves you.

Scott
Listen to Scott.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
markjayw is offline  
post #17 of 68 Old 11-29-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjayw View Post
At age 15 I stayed off Ferrari Forums and studied my ass off.

Now I just spend all day on car forums, but I am over 40.
Thanks for your time you put into this. Since my GPA is above 97 and it's Thanksgiving break I felt that it was ok that I go on the Ferrari Forum since the Ferrari 458 spider is one of my biggest focuses.
Landon is offline  
post #18 of 68 Old 11-29-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
Right now I'm a newspaper reporter, but I'm trying to work my way up. At night I go to school learning how to become a pimp, but I'm also studying drug dealing, purse snatching, and pornography on the side. One day I hope to break out of my current situation and gain some respect.

I remember how proud I was when I excaped from being an elected politicion and got my newspaper job. People stopped spitting in my face and now they only spit on my shoes. When I eventually get to become a fully qualified pimp, I'm sure I'll be held in higher esteem.

I hate to put too much mileage on my Ferrari, so when I'm not out on the roads practicing my drunk driving skills, I'm really enjoying that new "knock out game".
You're soooo funny
Landon is offline  
post #19 of 68 Old 11-29-2013, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16M Down Under View Post
I endorse your advice Mark. Landon, don't worry about Ferraris, worry about working hard to support and love your eventual family. Unless your parents are wealthy, you are super intelligent or an entrepreneurial genius, there are no short cuts. If you are the sort of guy asking these questions then I doubt that you meet the previous sentences requirements. So Landon, it just comes down to hard work and saving, regardless of what you do.

Good luck,

David.
Ok as I said to one of the guys in the beginning I was "curious." Now I know what I want to do for a living and I'm also not stupid enough to just ask this question to see what you guys do and then just go out and try to do whatever you guys said. I also didn't want to have to give my age but I just had to in reply to what the guy at the beginning said but I can now see that it was a huge mistake because it seemed to bother/annoy everyone.
Landon is offline  
post #20 of 68 Old 11-29-2013, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by godabitibi View Post
Landon I understand your asking and many young people faced the same dilemma. I'm a teacher and many of my students don't really know what they wanted and choose the course because it was close to home and knew there is a lot of work around here in this trade because of mining.

My answer is try to find something that get your interest and if possible try to go for a day to see what it's really like.

What ever you chose to do if a Ferrari is one of your goal you'll get one if you work hard toward it. Keep in mind you can buy a older model that you like and some are cheap compare to new cars and are still a Ferrari.

Good luck, try to be one of the best in what you do and life will reward you.
Thank you so much for your response it was the most positive one here. Thank you
Landon is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale