Ferrari Books to Have - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-16-2013, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 470
Ferrari Books to Have

Apologies if this has been covered before but from Onno's suggestion on the 400 Superamerica thread- recommendations for Ferrari books- old and new. Off the beaten track or coffee table tomes, make your suggestions.

ScottS

I have regretted often, but repented never. Is this a good thing? -Enzo Ferrari
2012 California Argento Nurburgring /Nero 2005 F430 Nero 6spd. 2009 Maserati GT-S F1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
I did a little piece on Ferrari books for my newsletter a couple of years ago, so I might as well throw my selections from then into the pot. Here is the text from then. I did subsequently purchase a copy of Ferrari in Camera (direct from the publishers, who still had a few copies left):

There are myriad books on Ferrari. More are added each year. Some are good, some bad. Here are half-a-dozen personal favourites although there are many more I could equally well have chosen. Indeed, might have done on another day.

Not amongst them is a biography of Enzo Ferrari. Enzo’s own books inevitably tell only part of the story. Brock Yates wrote a hatchet job some years ago and Richard Williams had a
decent attempt more recently but the definitive book has yet to be written.

Inside Ferrari - Michael Dregni
Back in the late 1980s Michael Dregni was allowed seemingly unfettered access into the inner
sanctum of the Ferrari factory at Maranello. Now fairly rare, this book tells the story of Ferrari production and illustrates it with many behind-the-scenes photographs.

Ferrari - Stories from those who lived the legend (John Lamm)
There are a goodly number of general Ferrari books available at reasonable cost. John Lamm has been a long time contributor to Road & Track magazine and this book takes a different tack with sections by a many of those who have been involved with Ferrari over the years alongside many of Lamm’s superb photographs.

Flat-12 (Alan Henry)
Alan Henry has written many books. Usually several each year, in fact. That’s probably the best way for his bank balance but there was a time when quality came before quantity. Flat-12 tells the story of the racing cars that used this magnificent engine from the late 1960s to the early 1980s. But more than that, it is frequently brought to life through the words of those
who were there.

Gilles Villeneuve (Gerald Donaldson)
Gilles Villeneuve raced in 67 Grands Prix, 66 of them at the wheel of a Ferrari. In those four and a half years he became a legend. Gerald Donaldson’s biography of his fellow Canadian is as good an example of the genre as can be found anywhere.

Emotion Ferrari - Maurice Louche
Emotion Ferrari is essentially a picture book. But what pictures. Maurice Louche photographed Ferraris (usually in competition) from the very beginnings of the company
as an entity up to the early 1970s and the results, with detailed captions, provide a fascinating view. A delight from the first page with a rare photograph a frail-looking Dino Ferrari
through an array of now hideously valuable, racing-damaged, 250 GTOs often repaired with whatever came to hand.

Memoirs of Enzo Ferrari’s Lieutenant (Franco Gozzi)
For many years Franco Gozzi was Enzo Ferrari’s personal assistant. This book is not an
autobiography, rather it is a series of anecdotes from one who was close to the centre
of everything Ferrari for many years. The only pity is that there wasn’t room for more.

The One That Got Away
Not amongst the books on this page and missing from my collection is Ferrari in Camera. With words by Doug Nye and astonishing pictures from Geoff Goddard the quality of the
book is matched only by its price. Expect to pay four figures.
Attached Images

post #3 of 10 Old 11-17-2013, 02:28 PM

post #4 of 10 Old 11-17-2013, 04:27 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
The best Ferrari book to have is the factory workshop manual for your car.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-17-2013, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Yes. The workshop manual wins.

I am intrigued by some of the others as well.

I'd love to see the size and cover for Ferrari in camera.

I have an assortment and some in Italian my father picked up at the factory in 1987 when he visited. But that's another story.

Scott

2012 California Argento Nurburgring /Nero 2005 F430 Nero 6spd. 2009 Maserati GT-S F1
post #6 of 10 Old 11-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts View Post
...I'd love to see the size and cover for Ferrari in camera...
There is nothing much to see in terms of the cover as it is just cloth (or leather) bound with just the title embossed on it. See here: Palawan Press - FERRARI IN CAMERA

Jonathan
post #7 of 10 Old 12-07-2013, 04:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts View Post
Apologies if this has been covered before but from Onno's suggestion on the 400 Superamerica thread- recommendations for Ferrari books- old and new. Off the beaten track or coffee table tomes, make your suggestions.

ScottS
Scott - go out to Chesterfield.

Designs n motion 140 Long Rd - my tenant

They have all sorts of Ferrari books and die cast cars it's in the same building as Sports Fusion.

I am out there almost every Saturday - picked up some great books last week.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-07-2013, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I'm there. Thanks.

Scott

post #9 of 10 Old 12-07-2013, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Best $28.31 Ever spent

Came today. New in plastic......

Thanks for the suggestion

Ferrari Legends: Classics of Style and Design: Michel Zumbrunn: 9781858944326: Amazon.com: Books
Attached Images

post #10 of 10 Old 12-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Check out FERRARI Granturismo Sport Prototipi by Etienne Cornnil.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode