SD2 / SD3 Cables - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-07-2013, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
SD2 / SD3 Cables

Greetings,

I am recently retired and have time on my hands. My independent shop needed a new SD2 cable set and I made up a complete set using an original as a template. I made the OBD2 to various Amp Connectors including the power cord and also the serial cable interface for the SD2 / PC connection.

I am told there might be a market for this as dealers and shops frequently need the cable set for SD2 / SD3 and who knows what all.

Just feeling out the community here ... those of you with SD2 / SD3 diagnostic equipment ... would you be interested in purchasing cable sets. Drop me a line.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,871
Steve- I know Ferrari offered the SD3 cables and other spare parts, but I have never seen the SD2 cables offered, so there has to be a market for them.

Brian, Josh, or David should know.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 966
Steve,

This is good to know and a great service to offer. Thank you. At this time though, I'm all set as the cables with my SD-2 are in "as new" condition." Perhaps you might want to offer your services to the folks at Ricambi or Ted Rutlands?

Best,
David

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**

post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Replacement cables are offered but the same very light duty junk they came with. From the beginning I have my unit with computer permanently installed in a mobile computer cabinet with a battery pack so it can be unplugged and rolled to the car without shutting everything down.
The cabinet has external bulkhead connectors for the ISO 1 and 2 cables and extra length heavier duty ISO cables and built in strain relief for the ALDL ends that require such small wire gauge. If one gets tripped over, worse case I just have to repair a cable.

The fact that the OE cables were such junk was a constant problem and inexcusable for a piece of shop equipment that really should have had MIL spec cables and connectors.
Attached Images

post #5 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
If I hadn't known any better, I'd think you use this a lot Brian and had assembled based on your experience working in a dealer...

As already noted, if the repro cables you're offering are improved over the originals, they would be of great value.

post #6 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
If I hadn't known any better, I'd think you use this a lot Brian and had assembled based on your experience working in a dealer...

As already noted, if the repro cables you're offering are improved over the originals, they would be of great value.

My last dealer was the biggest at the time. We often had a waiting line for the SD2.

A couple of the dealers had the SD in a central location and a long enough ISO cable to reach the entire shop. I never considered that as convenient.

And yes, it gets used almost every day.

Last edited by Brian; 11-11-2013 at 02:16 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
I made a beta cable for my tech shop using an original SD2 cable set. I intend on making up a couple of more sets in the coming couple weeks... but this time beefing up the cable to take a bit more abuse. My intent is to use 20 or 22 Ga. for all the DB25 / DB9 connectors and 18 GA for all other conductors. I will be making the cables with full strain relief at all joints to resist pulling the conductors out in case of tripping. Cable sheathing will be expanded nylon mesh and all multi-conductor cables to be fully shrink wrapped. All the Tyco Superseal connectors will be fitted with rubber boots to provide additional strain relief protection.

My techs frequently take their SD2 in the car so they can record data while in motion. So they wanted the cable long enough to position the SD2 on the passenger side and not get under driver's feet. That will require cables at least 5 feet long from the OBD2 plug to the DB25 / DB9 plug.

No way can I make it as bulletproof as Brian did, but from looking at the original set my techs have, it is no wonder that mere trip over one of the cables can result in pulled pins and such.

One problem is that the serial plugs (DB25 and DB9) can only accommodate a max size of 20 gauge wire ... not enough room in the plug shell to put anything larger. This is not a problem when you have a bundle of several wires as the combined strength of the resulting bundle is quite high. But when you breakout the conductors into say 3 core conductors, the strength becomes compromised. So have to use strong sheathing or other means to provide strain relief. I saw on some original cable sets that there was no strain relief whatever on the Tyco connectors ... relying entirely on the crimp connection to the male or female pins and sockets.

So, as I was saying, I can put together a cable set at my kitchen table in about an hour or so ... and since I am retired with time on my hands, I thought I might feel the waters, so to speak.

If someone has interest, drop me a line. I have not set any kind of a price but am thinking of something like $500 for the full set. That will give you DB9, ADC, IS01, IS02 and the CAN plugs connecting to the DB25 end for one set ... and A thru F Tyco connectors plus the 12v power plug on the ODB2 end.

Steve

Last edited by bisel; 11-11-2013 at 08:04 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Owner

It sounds like you are on the right track and there is certainly a need. My only suggestion would be to offer very long ISO cables that go to the "Octopus" at the OBD plug. Sometimes it is just not convenient to get the SD2 that close to the car.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
It's impossible to keep equipment from being ruined when it's being handled by several different hands. There is also never a good time for these tools to break as it always happens when you need to use it and many times the cables are only available on an exchange basis, which becomes more and more complicated to deal with.

Having a more robust set or even a spare set on hand is definitely valuable. Steve, I don't think your asking price for a full set of improved cables is unreasonable. Simply avoiding the factory is worth a bit.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode