Alonso right foot braking ? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-07-2013, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
Alonso right foot braking ?

While watching the Alonso video of him driving the La Ferrari and the 458, I couldnt help notice he was braking with his right foot !! This absolutely confused me ..lol I have to believe that he isnt driving his F1 machine and braking with his right foot, it doesnt make any sense . If thats the case, why would he not drive the road car the same way ? When Massa was driving the 458, he was clearly using his left foot to slow the car down . I know this is not really a big deal, I just thought I would post up about it . Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
why not use the right foot ? There is a reason that the left foot sits on the dead pedal in automatics, because you are not supposed to use your left foot to brake while using the right to control the throttle.

Now maybe in racing its different, since that 0.0001's of a second that it takes you to move from the throttle to brake could make a difference ( I seriously doubt it but I don't professionally race), but in street mode you should only use one foot.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
I use both when racing depending on the type of stopping I'm doing. If it's just a tap and I'm trying to settle the front end or do a quicks single gear downshift without the clutch I'll left foot brake. Hard braking at the end of the straights I'll brake with my right foot and heal and toe.

------------------------------

Life is Good!

post #4 of 14 Old 11-07-2013, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
Heal and toe

Heal and toe with a clutch pedal,,but with paddle shifter, I always thought left foot braking was best. I use my left foot when I go karting, and when driving any automatic. Anyways, Im almost positive all the F1 drivers are using their left foot when racing, its faster and more efficient .
post #5 of 14 Old 11-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,871
Left foot braking wears brakes faster and costs fuel consumption when used on the street. Alonso is just falling back on the way he learned to drive. In F1 racing you have no choice since there is a divider between the brake and accelerator pedals.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 01:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
Once again Terry you are a legend mate! Thanks for clearing this up.

David.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali
post #7 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
The reaction time to right foot brake is so slow compared to a left foot brake, no F1 driver would make it using that technique. I'm guessing that the drive felt pretty casual to him and he was driving in a fairly casual manner.

post #8 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
The reaction time to right foot brake is so slow compared to a left foot brake, no F1 driver would make it using that technique. I'm guessing that the drive felt pretty casual to him and he was driving in a fairly casual manner.

Rubens uses a right foot to brake, and perhpas the only one in F1

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #9 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Master Mechanic

He also doesn't hold any F1 World Championship titles

I'm not a professional race driver, so I'm not really in a position to criticize driving styles. My perspective comes from a couple competitive professional drivers I know and learned some bench racing techniques from. I'm sure Rubens and Alonso are both worlds faster than I no matter how they use their feet.

post #10 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 01:35 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Left foot braking wears brakes faster and costs fuel consumption when used on the street.
Why would it do that?

Ciao Jules

Current Italian Bellas:
95 Alfa Romeo 164 LS, 1978 Fiat 124 Spider
Sometime in the Future: Red 308 GTS
post #11 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Nathan- Because people drag the brakes when driving and tend to be on the brake and accelerator at the same time. I hate following some left foot brakers because the brake lights are continuously coming on and going off as they drive down the road. Flash, flash, flash when they are just driving at a steady pace.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 08:07 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
1. Schumacher took then-Autosport-journalist Peter Windsor for a couple of laps around Mugello in a 575M F1 years ago. Although it had the F1 trans, Schuey braked with his right foot. When asked about it, he just said it felt right. This is totally different from F1 obviously. I was at turn 1 during a practice session for the first Indy USGP in 2000, and Schuey consistently braked at least 20 meters later than anyone else. This would not have been possible with the right foot.

2. Speaking from personal racing experience, there is no doubt that left foot braking is faster. The time it takes to transition from the gas to brake using the right foot is tantamount to the difference in gearchange times between a manual and a F1 trans. Formula 1 drivers don't left foot brake because of a crossmember between their feet; they do so because it is absolutely faster, period. The lower formulae (F3, FRenault, etc) now all have sequential manual gearboxes, so with no clutch pedal, all up-and-coming drivers left foot brake like they did in karts (where most, if not all, of them started racing).

3. What kind of moron rests his left foot on the brake pedal? Doing it correctly means holding your foot over the pedal in anticipation of braking, but resting it on the dead pedal otherwise. I brake in automatics (and F1 Ferraris) with the left foot and brake with the right foot in my 6speed Fcar and have zero problems switching between the two. I also have zero problems with regards to riding the brake. Perhaps those riding the brake with the left foot are part of the 99%.......
post #13 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Actually, on quite a few of the F1 cars, there is a divider between the pedals. No choice on using the right foot.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #14 of 14 Old 11-09-2013, 03:28 AM
Master Mechanic

Don't want to get your feet mixed up mid corner in an F1 car...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode