Leonardo Single Model Diagnostic Tool - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 10-16-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,872
Leonardo Single Model Diagnostic Tool

For those of you not familiar with the Leonardo diagnostic tool, it performs most of the tasks the SD series of factory tools can accomplish. Leonardo is just bringing to market a single model customer version with all the features of the full size model for $4995. Still pricey, but better than the $20K or so for the full multi-model version used by shops.

Nick's Forza Ferrari is the US distributor for the Leonardo tools.

The Marconi device has the same software as the Leonardo tool does but for one car model, such as a 360 or 430 it will do all the same functions, ECU, TCU, programming, PIS, Air Bags, ABS, E diff ( depending on the car model) etc as the professional Leonardo tool. $ 4,995.00.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-16-2013, 11:00 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
Thanks for the update. At $5k it really is not that bad of a deal seeing each trip to the dealership runs a minimum of a couple of hundred dollars. Now if they only had a community college course on how to operate the device.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
I haven't any direct experience with the Marconi mentioned here, so I don't know how it's being packaged exactly.

However, the Leonardo has user friendly menus and graphics, but it does not tell you how to perform the work. These tools are designed for someone that already understands the processes and procedures and offers few nannies.

If you approach this tool thinking it will teach you how to service your car, I believe you will be in trouble and out a good chunk of money.

post #4 of 19 Old 10-16-2013, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Josh- Sounds like one of the factory SD tools, where they assume you are already an expert. For amateurs, using one is like a dog watching TV.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
For those of you not familiar with the Leonardo diagnostic tool, it performs most of the tasks the SD series of factory tools can accomplish....
Hmm, "most of" and $5,000 don't leave me warm and fuzzy. I'd want to speak to owners of a Leonardo and get the real scope on what it can't do. Reminds me of the older ST-5 claims and the many unanswered emails from the vendor at the time, Even taking into consideration a connection fee and an hour of my time, it would take around 15 visits to my shop before that purchase made any sense. And if it took that many visits to sort out the car, it probably should be professionally diagnosed anyway. As Josh said, the Leonardo, or whatever the new name is isn't going to fix anything, despite it's pretty interface...

Save your money and develop a relationship with a competent shop; it will be much cheaper in the long run.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #6 of 19 Old 10-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
I haven't any direct experience with the Marconi mentioned here, so I don't know how it's being packaged exactly.

However, the Leonardo has user friendly menus and graphics, but it does not tell you how to perform the work. These tools are designed for someone that already understands the processes and procedures and offers few nannies.

If you approach this tool thinking it will teach you how to service your car, I believe you will be in trouble and out a good chunk of money.

Josh, I don't think you go far enough. There is great misunderstanding among many not in the auto industry. This does not fix the car nor does it tell you what is wrong. It is a data collection device (and more but that's later) not unlike an O' scope of old. It gives data for those that understand the systems to use to bring about a diagnosis. It doesn't point a finger and say "replace that".

It does also provide needed functions like the F1 bleeding we spoke of and relearning a number of various system functions etc.

It might be a very good option for the DIY that have knowledge to put that kind of information to use and there are many out there that do.......but, like many other things, if you need to ask if it is a good choice for you David's advice is probably better.

I'll put it this way, if you had a Daytona and were adept at bumper to bumper repairs and routine maint. This will probably be a good piece of equipment to have to maintain your 360 or whatever.

I do have one serious reservation.........Product support.
Without it, it is an expensive door stop and why I own none of the aftermarket units.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-16-2013, 05:39 PM
Master Mechanic

Much better put, thank you Brian.

The Accinni people have stepped up their support a lot, however they're still just there to help make sure the tool functions and functions as designed. They are not there to tell you how to interpret information and diagnose a car. I have to go directly to Accinni to get proper support and they do a decent job of providing it. Fortunately, I typically know what I'm trying to achieve and how to get to that point, so it keep mole hills from turning into mountains.

I agree that guys like Taz, Cribbj and a few others will benefit from having this tool. There are a lot that will end up with an expensive desk ornament though.

post #8 of 19 Old 10-17-2013, 06:39 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
If this turns out to be a good device, I think it will enable more specialty automotive shops to be willing to work on Ferraris.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-17-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Chris- Probably not, because it is a single model tool. The shop version covers multiple models and is around $20K. I can see rich guys buying the single model for their techs when they are too far from a shop with SD tools. Or splitting the costs.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #10 of 19 Old 10-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Master Mechanic

Agreed. This tool will be most valuable to deep pocketed owners in remote locations and with collections etc. I believe the software can be swapped out as well, so if you upgrade your 430 to a 458, you can update the tool as well. I believe that will be it's greatest value as far as investment goes.

post #11 of 19 Old 10-17-2013, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Josh- That covers me here in Albuquerque, except for the rich part. Was really hoping Duram Plummer would come through for us, but does not look promising.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #12 of 19 Old 10-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Master Mechanic

Yea, $5k is still a stiff price. Personally, I'm glad as it will mitigate the number of guys emailing me asking how to fix their cars themselves. I like Duram's BMW and Porsche tools. It is a bummer that he never completed the Modena Technica stuff. That would have been a great budget option.

Auto Enginuity also has a software package for Ferrari/Maserati. I have no idea how good it actually is though. I also just picked up a Texa system as backup. It works well but the coverage is spotty. It's still practically a Beta version and under development. It does the most popular newer cars which we service frequently and covers all of the basic functions there. SO it will get me out of a jam.

Last edited by ECSofVirginia; 10-17-2013 at 04:38 PM.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-17-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Josh- I think Stef picked up a Texa and had about the same comments. Seems like price was in the $4-5K range in Europe. I have a 575M HGTC F1 ECU/TCU I would like to try, but no can do without a proper tool. Speeds up shifting to 180 ms from 220-250 ms (depending on source for the info), plus offers smoother shifts and longer clutch life. About the same software that went into the 612 except for the F1A cockpit panel that also allows you to select 1st gear with the panel (not always a good idea, anyway).

I have Eddie's instructions on how to do it for the 360-CS for my techs, but will have to wait. Still hoping for Duram to come through for us.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #14 of 19 Old 10-18-2013, 02:26 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
Auto Enginuity also has a software package for Ferrari/Maserati. I have no idea how good it actually is though...
I have there basic system and am quite pleased. The Ferrari/Maserati package they offer looks good on paper, but appears to have very limited to no connectivity prior to the F360. My understanding is now, after a conversation with Brian, was that "in essence" don't expect full communications with all modules (ECU) via the OBDII port prior to the 360. In other words, be prepared to connected directly to the ALDL connectors, presuming that I can find them. Then again, the AE software is about $3500. This could be a deal for the cars that it will connect to. One of my technical partners has spoken with AE regarding connectivity. I have not.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #15 of 19 Old 10-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Josh- I think Stef picked up a Texa and had about the same comments. Seems like price was in the $4-5K range in Europe. I have a 575M HGTC F1 ECU/TCU I would like to try, but no can do without a proper tool. Speeds up shifting to 180 ms from 220-250 ms (depending on source for the info), plus offers smoother shifts and longer clutch life. About the same software that went into the 612 except for the F1A cockpit panel that also allows you to select 1st gear with the panel (not always a good idea, anyway).

I have Eddie's instructions on how to do it for the 360-CS for my techs, but will have to wait. Still hoping for Duram to come through for us.
Yea, the aftermarket stuff has yet to really get into the module programming game. It's a bit frustrating, but I just accept it for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David @ FluentInFerrari View Post
I have there basic system and am quite pleased. The Ferrari/Maserati package they offer looks good on paper, but appears to have very limited to no connectivity prior to the F360. My understanding is now, after a conversation with Brian, was that "in essence" don't expect full communications with all modules (ECU) via the OBDII port prior to the 360. In other words, be prepared to connected directly to the ALDL connectors, presuming that I can find them. Then again, the AE software is about $3500. This could be a deal for the cars that it will connect to. One of my technical partners has spoken with AE regarding connectivity. I have not.
The Leonardo has finally made pretty good progress with the early cars that have ALDL connectors, thankfully. It took them a while to get to where they are and at the end of the day, an SD2 is still going to be superior. The Marconi tools should come with the Ferrari ALDL connectors just as my big Leonardo tool does, so there is that for the guys with the older cars.

The Texa, AE and even the Leo mostly focus on the later cars though. I'm sure they see this is the emerging market and where they can appeal to the largest percentage of buyers.

post #16 of 19 Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 357
I love my 348......the other day check engine light came on and bank shut down, pressed button read code went to auto zone bought a 1993 Volvo O2 sensor for $58 (rented O2 tool at AZ) installed and back on road.
post #17 of 19 Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

The old Motronic 2.5 and 2.7 systems without OBDII do not need a tool like the Leonardo. Later Motronics like 5.2, 7.1.1 and 7.3 do need one to perform some tasks, especially the Motronic 7 family systems.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #18 of 19 Old 11-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 217
Can the Marconi be delivered with software for two cars? Donīt need the complete Leonardo System.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-02-2014, 10:03 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
I have been spending days and nights researching tools for ECU tuning and remapping tools.
The latest I have found was KessV2, but you also need Titanium ECU editing tool. One bloke has told me that winOLS is the best for the Ferrari. Still need a diagnostic tool and scanner though.
This is tough stuff. I wish 360Trev had kept on his tool build route I for 1 would be happy to pay for a working tool that can doo all that is required.
Does anyone know if the Torque app for iphone will do general stuff with the F360? is there a laptop app that anyone has working?
I have an ELM Bluetooth tool to connect to the OBDII port which works great but no software to do any work on the car.
Happy to buy fully licensed software that is not stupidly priced.
maybe I should start a new thread for this instead of doing it here. Sorry!
Leonardo has brought out the tool for 1 car but if you need to do mapping its a no go.
So its a kit of many tools it seems.
Still searching.
I tried the TEXA unit it looked promising and shows it can do the list that Stefv put up on another forum but when I tested it it got stuck then I found through a back door how to get into the transmission menu to adjust the PIS this was on a F360C anyway went to the learn feature threw up an error heard a few clicks etc but a faulty sensor has stopped me, at least it showed it up. The seller then took the tool away to update it this pissed me off as we found out later the tool update had no extra info for F360 in it.
I was pretty impressed the price here was $8500 with a AXONE 4 7" hand held pad thingy. or $4700 with a dongle for a laptop. Not to bad. But again no ECU mapping usefulness. So stuck again.
Will keep searching. I have read every thread I can find on this stuff from Ferrari Life Ferrari Chat and 6speedonline. Still no end to it.
I have missed the gurus of the 2000 era! On racing the F360 challenge cars there were some pretty sharp cookies but they are lost in other racing realms now and are really interested in this old stuff. So without handy techs we need to look after ourselves somehow.
ECS you are a wizard and you need to earn off your clients so this can effect you financially and I wish you well and in fact wish you would come and live in Melbourne Australia so I can use your services.
Any help for tools will be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode