F1 tech. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 931
F1 tech.

Hey everyone, I thought I already posted this but I can not find it. So here goes. Since talking with the techs at Ferrari of Seattle, I know what do to as far as schooling for a "local level Ferrari dealership". But what more schooling needs to be achieved in order to work at a worldwide level dealer or a F1 tech? I got a job at auto shop in town. This is a good start to my career getting this much hands on experience at 14
I would love to get your knoledge on this matter.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-10-2013, 10:46 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 507
Well I think there should be done some things just like what I want to get through, though I'm not thinking of working at a dealership in the future. Getting to a worldwide dealer needs years of experience of working at the local dealer and maybe automotive engineering at the university. I found a perfect double-course, automotive engineering with business and management, my only problem is that it's at the Technical University of Melbourne which is a bit far from my location... Not to speak of setting up a proper accommodation without having acquaintance there...

"Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" - Horace, Carpe Diem
post #3 of 11 Old 10-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberschprung View Post
Hey everyone, I thought I already posted this but I can not find it. So here goes. Since talking with the techs at Ferrari of Seattle, I know what do to as far as schooling for a "local level Ferrari dealership". But what more schooling needs to be achieved in order to work at a worldwide level dealer or a F1 tech? I got a job at auto shop in town. This is a good start to my career getting this much hands on experience at 14
I would love to get your knoledge on this matter.

Thanks!

What do you mean "World Wide Dealer"?

Never heard of such a thing.

Working in a dealer is not a great stepping stone to being an F1 mechanic. Very different job.
By the way, a mechanic in a good dealer makes 5x to 10x as much money as an F1 mechanic. Those guys are on starvation wages.

If you want to be a race mechanic go to the local race track and volunteer for a small local race team. As you get some experience and get known by other teams at other venues you can eventually parlay that to a paying job but that is a long big hurdle. The best paying job for a race mechanic in the entire world are the Cup car teams and that will eventually require moving to the Carolinas or Virginia. When you finally get some professional experience get a resume in to the F1 teams. There is a very big turn over. As I said the pay is low to the extreme so as the guys get a little older and want a life they move on and create vacancies.

I had an old friend/coworker that went to F1. He only stayed a couple of years because it is a subsistence life. He left and came back to the states and worked on some big dollar pro teams here. I think he is in Cup racing now. That is the only place in racing that will pay enough to have any kind of life.

Last edited by Brian; 10-10-2013 at 04:07 PM.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-10-2013, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Brian. As for a worldwide dealer, I meant outside the U.S.
I could have worded it differently.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-11-2013, 07:44 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberschprung View Post
Thanks Brian. As for a worldwide dealer, I meant outside the U.S.
I could have worded it differently.

OK

They don't operate or have different needs than dealers in the US, they just pay far less.

Remember, being a race mechanic, even in F1 is not a career, it is a hobby. Stock car racing is really the only exception.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 01:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 562
Cutter,
Just got my latest Ferrari Magazine and I thought you might be interested in one of the article... it is about apprenticeship for 16 years old and above to become Ferrari engineers (trying to attach the article here, let me know if it doesn't work)
Otherwise check their website out... Ferrari Apprenticeship Programme

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Ferrari apprentices Ferrari Magazine - For Ferrari cars owners and fans.pdf (350.2 KB, 126 views)

Gus

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
post #7 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Owner

Cutter, what they call an engineer is what we refer to as a mechanic so don't get confused.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks amanderu! great info! Brian, I know their the same. Thanks anyway
post #9 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 02:51 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 590
This site is the best place online to learn about the technical side of F1:

Motorsport discussion forum - F1technical.net

It really is a gold mine of knowledge. I could spend all day reading the articles and threads on there. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as well.

Ciao Jules

Current Italian Bellas:
95 Alfa Romeo 164 LS, 1978 Fiat 124 Spider
Sometime in the Future: Red 308 GTS

Last edited by RossoVeloce; 10-12-2013 at 03:03 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
post #11 of 11 Old 03-28-2014, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
By the way, a mechanic in a good dealer makes 5x to 10x as much money as an F1 mechanic.

I haven't asked this question yet. So what is the ballpark annual income of a Ferrari dealership technician?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode