Winter storage question - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-28-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 41
Winter storage question

Im really not looking forward to putting her away for the winter, but alas, the time is near..ish.

Ive got an F430 spider - plan on keeping it covered with the standard red cover, but also want to keep the battery tender on it as well.

As the outlet for the tender is located on the ceiling of my garage, I have to plug the tender in (on the F430, by the passenger kick plate), leave the window cracked a smidge, and then leave the tender unit resting on the roof.

My question is how do I get all that to happen with the cover on? Do I just have to have a tailor make a little zipper on the seam to accommodate? Anyone have any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-29-2013, 02:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoo View Post
Im really not looking forward to putting her away for the winter, but alas, the time is near..ish.

Ive got an F430 spider - plan on keeping it covered with the standard red cover, but also want to keep the battery tender on it as well.

As the outlet for the tender is located on the ceiling of my garage, I have to plug the tender in (on the F430, by the passenger kick plate), leave the window cracked a smidge, and then leave the tender unit resting on the roof.

My question is how do I get all that to happen with the cover on? Do I just have to have a tailor make a little zipper on the seam to accommodate? Anyone have any other suggestions?
Can you plug the tender into an extension to give more length and then have the wire out under the door?
Attached Images

'SCUD' Verb. To move fast as if driven by the wind.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-29-2013, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Aha, didnt think of that. Not really a fan of extension cords but lets try. Thanks so much!

post #4 of 7 Old 09-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,871
Very low current. One of those large gauge orange outdoor extension cords would work perfectly. Probably four or five in my garage at any one time.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-29-2013, 10:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
Hi Spoo,

My solution is to simply hang the battery tender from the ceiling and feed the connector under the car cover and through the door rubber as shown in your handbook. It is a light unit and it just hangs there merrily at about eye level. I can easily see the indicator lights, the car is locked and there are no live leads on the garage floor. About 30 years ago I saw a man die from dropping a sheet of steel onto a live lead, so I'm a little paranoid about it.

David.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali
post #6 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16M Down Under View Post
Hi Spoo,

My solution is to simply hang the battery tender from the ceiling and feed the connector under the car cover and through the door rubber as shown in your handbook. It is a light unit and it just hangs there merrily at about eye level. I can easily see the indicator lights, the car is locked and there are no live leads on the garage floor. About 30 years ago I saw a man die from dropping a sheet of steel onto a live lead, so I'm a little paranoid about it.

David.
Jesus, will be paying attention to that going forward, thats for sure.

Appreciate both you and Taz's advise as well. Will give it a whirl.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-03-2013, 09:01 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
electrician

Would you consider hiring an electrician to put an outlet on a nearby wall? cost me 125.00 and he felt bad supposedly that he had to charge me the full 125.00.
This way nothing needs to hang or be secured to the celing,

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode