Track days - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-15-2013, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Track days

For the guys who track - is it worth drilling holes in the floor to put in a passenger seat?

I have the extra seat - but not sure about drilling holes in the Challenge car.

Is there a point at which you don't want / need an instructor?

Next year I will add a cooler and wondering how those are mounted or if I could simply re-use the holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Doug, the passenger seat is always great to have for instructor and guest rides. Careful drilling

If you go for a cool suit it mounts in the boot for easy access to replenish ice throughout the day.

When's your first event?

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
post #3 of 16 Old 09-15-2013, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNart View Post
Doug, the passenger seat is always great to have for instructor and guest rides. Careful drilling

If you go for a cool suit it mounts in the boot for easy access to replenish ice throughout the day.

When's your first event?
Work is hectic - thinking about packing up as I type. There is an open event tomorrow at Autobahn then the Ferrari Club runs on Wed - I believe.

Thinking about Houston for CCR then to New Orleans - hoping things slow down so I can get some track time before winter sets in.

Oh and I am not going to do the drilling - would end up like Fred Flinstone's ride.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Owner

Houston sounds great with it tethered off an IRL race. Always a great take - but toasty this time of year in a challenge car.

post #5 of 16 Old 09-15-2013, 07:46 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
...Is there a point at which you don't want /need an instructor?...
You are usually cleared fairly quickly for solo flight if you demonstrate a bit of competence in follow the rules, spotting the flag stations and get your car safely around the track. That typically means about 3 or 4 track days.

As for "wanting" an instructor, that is a whole different question. A good instructor is the greatest thing to have in the car at almost any level. The first instructors simply help with the basic rules, teach the "school line" (the fastest path around the track as opposed to the slower and more defensive "race line"), help with brake points etc. Later on, an instructor who actually knows your type of car can be invaluable in getting the most out of it. They are also good for identifying places where you pucker when you shouldn't and vice versa.

Quote:
... I am not going to do the drilling...
It wouldn't take more than seven or eight tries to get holes that line up with the seat rails. Go for it!

1983 308 GTS Quattrovalvole
post #6 of 16 Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
You are usually cleared fairly quickly for solo flight if you demonstrate a bit of competence in follow the rules, spotting the flag stations and get your car safely around the track. That typically means about 3 or 4 track days.

As for "wanting" an instructor, that is a whole different question. A good instructor is the greatest thing to have in the car at almost any level. The first instructors simply help with the basic rules, teach the "school line" (the fastest path around the track as opposed to the slower and more defensive "race line"), help with brake points etc. Later on, an instructor who actually knows your type of car can be invaluable in getting the most out of it. They are also good for identifying places where you pucker when you shouldn't and vice versa.

It wouldn't take more than seven or eight tries to get holes that line up with the seat rails. Go for it!
You are correct - I have been cleared a few times - enjoy the shortened learning curve it offers when getting to know both the car and track. Saves me from second guessing after a few runs with the instructor.

Any advice on track suits?

Decided on the Sparco ergo - all the measurements add up until the weight.

I weigh 15 pounds more than the chart - everything else is spot on.

Hate to go bigger and have it look like a Santa Suit - thoughts as it's coming from the UK.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-16-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
...all the measurements add up until the weight...
Unfortunately it'll probably be like most clothes; you won't be able to tell until you try it on.

I can't deny I am envious; I haven't been on the track for a couple of years. Daughter took prior track car off to college and the 308 is not yet ready for a track day. Soon! Soon!

post #8 of 16 Old 09-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Owner

Sparco makes a great suit. Remember to get a 3-layer for CCR. 2-layer with Nomax is ok unless you decide on a cool suit which might get bulky. SafeRacer.com is a site we used to compare different options but decided on OMP. Fit was true to sizing chart.

post #9 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
A month or two ago, friend of mine asked another friend to step into the passenger seat to comment on his driving, to see if he could get some tips. He was driving a 360 NGT, serious bit of kit, and he's a good driver. When trying to overtake two much slower cars, he was not spotted, forced onto the wet grass in the braking zone, and hit a concrete wall at 100mph. The passenger side hit the wall hard and his friend (also my friend) was hurt. He now feels very bad about the whole incident and I think he now wishes he had been on his own.

I'm not saying don't take people with. But don't play the risks down. You're in these machines looking for the margins and sometimes you go over. Just make sure you both think about it before you set off.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #10 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNart View Post
Sparco makes a great suit. Remember to get a 3-layer for CCR. 2-layer with Nomax is ok unless you decide on a cool suit which might get bulky. SafeRacer.com is a site we used to compare different options but decided on OMP. Fit was true to sizing chart.
I looked at saferacer but bought everything from Demon Weeks.

They have everything listed on e-bay. Downside is has to cross the pond and shipping wasn't cheap but it sure was easy.

The Sparco Ergo was 400.00 less than anywhere else so I placed the entire order there including the nomex cool suit

Hope everything fits I ordered it all at 2 a.m.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
A month or two ago, friend of mine asked another friend to step into the passenger seat to comment on his driving, to see if he could get some tips. He was driving a 360 NGT, serious bit of kit, and he's a good driver. When trying to overtake two much slower cars, he was not spotted, forced onto the wet grass in the braking zone, and hit a concrete wall at 100mph. The passenger side hit the wall hard and his friend (also my friend) was hurt. He now feels very bad about the whole incident and I think he now wishes he had been on his own.

I'm not saying don't take people with. But don't play the risks down. You're in these machines looking for the margins and sometimes you go over. Just make sure you both think about it before you set off.

Onno
I agree - hope they are going to have a full recovery.

When someone is in the car I would rather slow down than lose my line. Of course that's easy to say but hearing stories like this helps remind me of what can happen.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
...When trying to overtake two much slower cars, he was not spotted ... forced onto the wet grass...
I think this story is testimony too of the variability of the different track organizations. Many do not allow open passing and only allow a pass when the car that has been overtaken acknowledges seeing you and signals you to pass by pointing you by. Likewise, many do not allow passengers unless they are designated instructors. Club races are, of course, a whole different event.

I don't mean to minimize the risks on the track, but in many ways it is a lot safer than some Sunday morning rallies and “fun runs” occuring on public roads with high-speed, blind curves, on-coming traffic, bicyclists etc.

Last edited by Brian A; 09-17-2013 at 07:26 PM.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
I think this story is testimony too of the variability of the different track organizations. Many do not allow open passing and only allow a pass when the car that has been overtaken acknowledges seeing you and signals you to pass by pointing you by. Likewise, many do not allow passengers unless they are designated instructors. Club races are, of course, a whole different event.

I don't mean to minimize the risks on the track, but in many ways it is a lot safer than some Sunday morning rallies and “fun runs” occuring on public roads with high-speed, blind curves, on-coming traffic, bicyclists etc.
You are correct from my track experience and bikers are always an issue on public roads.

Either get a wave or don't pass - period. Never seen someone pass without a wave by during passenger / instructor sessions but I am new to all this.

I think they have different rules in Europe - seen a lot of crazy videos at the ring.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
It was a session for track specials (modern Challenge cars only, no road cars) but no marshall was checking who went onto the track. All drivers were very experienced and have race licenses so waving is not necessary, but the mix between a Daytona Competizione, 599GTO and 360 NGT makes for very different speeds when entering the bus stop chicane at Spa, which is why the Daytona and GTO were not allowed in the session. Driver of the 599GTO never saw the 360 coming. The 599 driver was most at fault in my view, but personally I would have sat behind if I was driving the 360, just ruin one lap and try again next lap, so i do think the 360 driver made an error in judgement as well. Of course, it is easy to judge from the sidelines.

I participated in the same event with the 458 and i have to say it was two days of responsible driving by all parties. This was the only incident between cars and there were only a couple of spins.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #15 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
You are correct from my track experience and bikers are always an issue on public roads.

Either get a wave or don't pass - period. Never seen someone pass without a wave by during passenger / instructor sessions but I am new to all this.

I think they have different rules in Europe - seen a lot of crazy videos at the ring.
Yeah, let's hope so although I have heard of a US organization where "trading paint" happens. Shudder.

The thing I love about track is how it uses every synapse in my little brain: impossible to think about anything else other than the next corner. The "real" world gets left behind.

It sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun.

post #16 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
It was a session for track specials (modern Challenge cars only, no road cars) but no marshall was checking who went onto the track. All drivers were very experienced and have race licenses so waving is not necessary, but the mix between a Daytona Competizione, 599GTO and 360 NGT makes for very different speeds when entering the bus stop chicane at Spa, which is why the Daytona and GTO were not allowed in the session. Driver of the 599GTO never saw the 360 coming. The 599 driver was most at fault in my view, but personally I would have sat behind if I was driving the 360, just ruin one lap and try again next lap, so i do think the 360 driver made an error in judgement as well. Of course, it is easy to judge from the sidelines.

I participated in the same event with the 458 and i have to say it was two days of responsible driving by all parties. This was the only incident between cars and there were only a couple of spins.

Onno
An unfortunate story. I guess crap happens even at the highest levels.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode