A day with Marcel... - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-13-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
A day with Marcel...

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to spend a whole day at Marcel Massini's house and dig into his unbelievable, really unbelievable amount of archive files. It is out of this world.
Honestly, I can not imagine that anybody (including the factory) has just a part of historical documentation of which Marcel has originals, documents, pictures, brain remembering and crossconquering proove of facts to individual drivers and cars history related to Ferrari.
Marcel showed me what the essence and starting centerpoint of his data build up is and how much work (over 40 years in the meantime) was involved and still ongoingly is to gather everything together crossing at a correct administratively and meticulous point.
Of course, that all is proved by an endless array of original documents, for which the ferrari factory would go to their knees to get it.....
Not to talk about all original coulour and leather examples from 50, 60, 70 years ago, yes, original...I smelled it. Not to mention the vast array of documents, which Marcel bought from well known collectors, dealers and friends over the years who brought together the knowledge of many hundred years of enthusiast experience finally in one persons competence.

You may have realized, that Marcel rarely writes here...as he spends many weeks abroad on auctions, as judge, reallocating and checking the most important collections worldwide.....understandingly...not only after what I have seen yesterday.

My deepest respect for what you have done, Marcel !

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
212Export is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 09-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Owner
 
Jeff Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edwardsville, IL
Ferrari Life Posts: 719
And Marcel is a nice person!

Jeff
Jeff Kennedy is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 09-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,872
Marcel is a true treasure to the Ferrari community. He reminds me of Peter Grosz, who had the same kind of collection on WW-I aviation. Luckily, Marcel is still young.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 09-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Owner
 
JazzyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
He invited me over, I really must take him up on his offer!

Marcel is an amazing individual. Ferrari have such a rich history that it takes a person like Marcel to dig it all up and show light in the murky past. It speaks volumes about the man and the brand.


Onno



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
JazzyO is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 09-14-2013, 03:24 AM
Owner
 
amanderu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Ferrari Life Posts: 562
A day with Marcel is a day well spent, 212! You have a good life balance over there

If Labour wins the next election in the UK and mansion tax is the new law, who knows, I may look around your lovely country-side and find myself a place to settle without being harassed by state-appointed looters and beggars.

Gus

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
amanderu is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 09-14-2013, 07:45 AM
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Sounds even better than a trip to one of the Ferrari museums! A rare privilege

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 09-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanderu View Post
If Labour wins the next election in the UK and mansion tax is the new law, who knows, I may look around your lovely country-side and find myself a place to settle without being harassed by state-appointed looters and beggars.
Gus, if I were picking a new home, it would certainly be on my short list.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 09-14-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Sounds even better than a trip to one of the Ferrari museums! A rare privilege
Way better than any museum....indeed

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
212Export is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 09-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Owner
 
bryanp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 642
wow, what an amazing day!. My dad is the expert on about 10 cars, and I know what it has taken for us to amass/sort/extrapolate all the materials we have obtained since dad's first factory visit in 1961; I can't imagine what it would take to do the same for the full breadth of the vintage Ferraris as Marcel has done in the last 40 years - Swiss precision and discipline!!
bryanp is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 09-15-2013, 02:19 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,134
What an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Boxer is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 09-16-2013, 04:54 AM
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Yesterday, I was lucky enough to spend a whole day at Marcel Massini's house and dig into his unbelievable, really unbelievable amount of archive files. It is out of this world.
Honestly, I can not imagine that anybody (including the factory) has just a part of historical documentation of which Marcel has originals, documents, pictures, brain remembering and crossconquering proove of facts to individual drivers and cars history related to Ferrari.
Marcel showed me what the essence and starting centerpoint of his data build up is and how much work (over 40 years in the meantime) was involved and still ongoingly is to gather everything together crossing at a correct administratively and meticulous point.
Of course, that all is proved by an endless array of original documents, for which the ferrari factory would go to their knees to get it.....
Not to talk about all original coulour and leather examples from 50, 60, 70 years ago, yes, original...I smelled it. Not to mention the vast array of documents, which Marcel bought from well known collectors, dealers and friends over the years who brought together the knowledge of many hundred years of enthusiast experience finally in one persons competence.

You may have realized, that Marcel rarely writes here...as he spends many weeks abroad on auctions, as judge, reallocating and checking the most important collections worldwide.....understandingly...not only after what I have seen yesterday.

My deepest respect for what you have done, Marcel !
Thanks 212 Export.
It was fun indeed, thank you for visiting. I just wish my days had 72 hours or more. I sometimes think I live in a plane. Oh well. I am glad we found in my archive some old original dox for your Daytona #15671 originally owned by legendary race driver Derek Bell.

Marcel Massini

Last edited by Marcel Massini; 09-16-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Marcel Massini is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 09-16-2013, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Massini View Post
Thanks 212 Export.
It was fun indeed, thank you for visiting. I just wish my days had 72 hours or more. I sometimes think I live in a plane. Oh well. I am glad we found in my archive some old original dox for your Daytona #15671 originally owned by legendary race driver Derek Bell.

Marcel Massini
Thanks again !!

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
212Export is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 09-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Owner
 
Granucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: far and away
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
sounds like a very important and well done collection. My fear of these things are not safeguarding them from problems.

I hope, for Marcel, he has tried to digitize them all.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !


Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Granucci is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale