Kimi Raikkonen set to join Fernando Alonso at Ferrari - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 09-10-2013, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Kimi Raikkonen set to join Fernando Alonso at Ferrari

Kimi Raikkonen is on the verge of being confirmed as a Ferrari driver for next year's Formula 1 season.

The Finn's deal to rejoin the team for whom he won the world title in 2007 is said to have been completed on Monday and could be announced imminently.

Raikkonen, 33, will be team-mate to Fernando Alonso, world champion in 2005-6, completing arguably the strongest driver line-up in Formula 1.

The decision would end Brazilian Felipe Massa's eight-year spell at the team.
Ferrari had been weighing up whether to bring back Raikkonen to the team, sign the promising Sauber driver Nico Hulkenberg or retain Massa, who has performed inconsistently as Alonso's team-mate.

The Ferrari team had wanted to replace Massa with someone who would provide more reliable performance, and have for some time considered Raikkonen to be the best candidate.

But the decision needed to be approved by Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo, which is now said to have happened.

Raikkonen had the option to remain at Lotus but the team were unable to provide him with the reassurances he requested that they had the technical and financial resources to compete at the front next year.

They have lost their highly rated former technical director James Allison to Ferrari and there have been delays paying Raikkonen's salary this year.

Raikkonen's return would mean Ferrari are re-employing a driver who they paid off at the end of 2009, a year before the end of his contract, to make way for Alonso.
At the time, the team preferred to keep Massa. The Brazilian had out-scored Raikkonen on points in 2008 and through 2009 until he suffered a fractured skull in an accident at that year's Hungarian Grand Prix.

Although there were question marks about his recovery, the team felt they could not cast the Brazilian adrift in the circumstances.

But he has been inconsistent for the last few seasons and the Ferrari team believe Raikkonen will provide more consistent support for Alonso and prevent any possibility of the Spaniard not producing his best.

In a Q&A with fans on his Twitter account on Monday, Alonso said: "I said yesterday to the media it's not possible for me to talk of any name for next year because I have a lot of respect for Felipe.

"We've been working very hard and close for four years to give Ferrari the maximum.

"Whatever decision the team will take will be good for me and we will keep working to give Ferrari the best results possible."

Lotus are expected to replace Raikkonen with Hulkenberg, who starred at the Italian GP with a third place on the grid for Sauber and a fifth-place finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
2 type A drivers on the same team is going to be a train wreck.

Never liked Alonso, I hope Kimi is what they need to find out why the cars are backmarkers.

I just can't believe they took so long to boot Massa. He's never be worthy of a seat on a good team.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 590
More than likely 1 of 2 scenarios will play out:

1. Alonso is clearly the #1, and Kimi keeps cool while becoming unmotivated.
2. Kimi is clearly #1, and Alonso throws a tantrum

I think the first one is most likely, but I hope that they will work great together. If I were LdM I probably would have went with Hulkenburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
2 type A drivers on the same team is going to be a train wreck.

Never liked Alonso, I hope Kimi is what they need to find out why the cars are backmarkers.

I just can't believe they took so long to boot Massa. He's never be worthy of a seat on a good team.
I agree they should have replaced Massa a long time ago, but he was/is a great driver. Especially around 2008.

Ciao Jules

Current Italian Bellas:
95 Alfa Romeo 164 LS, 1978 Fiat 124 Spider
Sometime in the Future: Red 308 GTS

post #4 of 22 Old 09-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 57
They need to do something to stop Vettel and Red Bull's dominance ... let's hope this is it!

Maybe Hulkenberg was probably more of a gamble and Kimi is proven and they need a quick turnaround for '14. But yeah, Hulkenberg would have been an interesting replacement.
post #5 of 22 Old 09-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,206
Not a fan of Alonso either. I think they should have brought Nico Rosberg on, kept him in Alonso's shadow for a few seasons, then let Alonso go.

Time for rebuilding.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #6 of 22 Old 09-10-2013, 03:05 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 108
I've been following F1 kind of religiously since learning about the sport since 2008, and playing F1 games too.

I like Massa...2008 was a crazy year. Couldn't have scripted it better for any more drama...Massa did everything he could in the last race of the season...but Hamilton won the driver's championship by one point by finishing 5'th place in the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Raiiikonnen, Massa, and Hamilton are all 1 point woulda/coulda/shoulda driver champions.
Shuchmacher, Vettel, and to a lesser extent Alonso...are solid champions though.

This is the most exciting news though I have heard in F1 in years.
Vettel's and Red Bull's 4-year dominance reign is getting kind of boring. -- but Schumacher's reign was fun though. Schumi mania existed then...Vettel doesn't have nowhere near as strong a following.

I like Raikkonen and Ferrari -- not a big fan though of Alonso,that guy seems kind of weird.

2008 was the best year of F1, or atleast since I began following the sport. it's been pretty much a dry spell since....hopefully 2014 will breathe new life and excitement into the sport...with new turbo 1.6l 4-cylinder engines. and Ferrari's new awesome lineup Iceman and Alonso.

I like the bigger, more sexier,flair'ier F1 cars from about the early 2000's to 2008.
I kind of lost interests 2009+ when the cars had a drastically different look.

Last edited by lawrence-lugar; 09-10-2013 at 03:10 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 09-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence-lugar View Post
I've been following F1 kind of religiously since learning about the sport since 2008, and playing F1 games too.

I like Massa...2008 was a crazy year. Couldn't have scripted it better for any more drama...Massa did everything he could in the last race of the season...but Hamilton won the driver's championship by one point by finishing 5'th place in the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Raiiikonnen, Massa, and Hamilton are all 1 point woulda/coulda/shoulda driver champions.
Shuchmacher, Vettel, and to a lesser extent Alonso...are solid champions though.

This is the most exciting news though I have heard in F1 in years.
Vettel's and Red Bull's 4-year dominance reign is getting kind of boring. -- but Schumacher's reign was fun though. Schumi mania existed then...Vettel doesn't have nowhere near as strong a following.

I like Raikkonen and Ferrari -- not a big fan though of Alonso,that guy seems kind of weird.

2008 was the best year of F1, or atleast since I began following the sport.

Massa in 2008 reminds me of the story of the broken clock. It's right twice a day.
post #8 of 22 Old 09-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
I hope Kimi does return to Ferrari, he's a hellova talented driver and given the right car and team support he could easily knock Red Bull & Vettel off their lofty pillar.

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #9 of 22 Old 09-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Not a fan of Alonso either. I think they should have brought Nico Rosberg on, kept him in Alonso's shadow for a few seasons, then let Alonso go.

Time for rebuilding.
IMHO. they should have talked Webber into staying 2 more seasons in F1 and moving over to Ferrari. He and Alonso together would have made a great pair. THis would buy time to see which of the younger drivers is truly worth of a Ferrari seat.
post #10 of 22 Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
2 type A drivers on the same team is going to be a train wreck....... snip.........
Throughout the history of Ferrari, it has been more common to have two highly capable drivers on the team, rather than a clear #1 and #2. Enzo seemed to believe that two good drivers competing with one another would lead to greater success. In the past, sometimes the drivers cooperated with one another and sometimes not. The bitter feud between Ferrari team mates Gilles Villeneuve and Didier Pironi is one well known example. Many people say it led directly to Pironi's death.

Will Kimi and Fernando drive one another to a higher level of performance, or will the pairing end in the train wreck you predict? Time will tell.
post #11 of 22 Old 09-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
Kimi

Although I was hoping that Kimi would replace Webber at Red Bull, this news is pretty cool. Alonso and Raikonen are two of my favorite drivers, having them both at Ferrari is exciting . Massa was once an up and comer, but his days as a champion contender are all but over . Next year , as far as I can tell, will bring on the most radical changes I have seen since I started following F1 regularly, when I bought my 328 in 1999 . Ferrari made the right decision choosing Kimi over Nico, Im looking forward to both Ferrari drivers scoring world champion and constructors points in 2014. Brett
post #12 of 22 Old 09-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Ferrari obviously opted for "experienced" no risk Drivers. As the REAL challenge next year will be the adaption to new Turbo engines, everything will be different and already enough fully RISK-loaded from that point of constructional view. Additional risk not needed. I would bet that the new "engine-law" will turn many teams upside down and will proove to be a transitional year.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #13 of 22 Old 09-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Two of my fav drivers! Hated Alonso when he was beating schumacher but have really enjoyed him at ferrari. I think he consistently gets the most out of that car. Raikkonen is a fav too. This should be good. I wouldn't call a team that is second out of 11 a back marker. More like a potential champion.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #14 of 22 Old 09-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Hopefully they have rehired the excited and focussed Kimi and not the checked out version we saw a lot of in his last season with Ferrari.
post #15 of 22 Old 09-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Hopefully they have rehired the excited and focussed Kimi and not the checked out version we saw a lot of in his last season with Ferrari.
I must admit I am excited by this prospect. I do hope we get the former Kimi Boxer described, the ice man and not the ice-cream eating man...

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #16 of 22 Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
well, this is certainly interesting news as mentioned two type A's

I know I'd get booed for this, but was kind of hoping for a Hamilton [after a couple more years] in red.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #17 of 22 Old 09-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
I know I'd get booed for this, but was kind of hoping for a Hamilton [after a couple more years] in red.
God no.

Possibly the only thing that could ever make me buy a RedBull cap.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #18 of 22 Old 09-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Do you think his checking out may have anything to do with him thinking he wouldn't be back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #19 of 22 Old 09-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Do you think his checking out may have anything to do with him thinking he wouldn't be back?
No, more to do with the fact that Ferrari puts a lot of demand on their drivers in terms of PR and appearances. This is not Kimi's deal at all and from what I have heard created quite a rift as on several occasions he made it clear he was not happy to be at an event (one of which involved the President of Italy). He got emotional pissed, then physically pissed, and it all ended not so well.
post #20 of 22 Old 09-12-2013, 03:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 439
Hi All

I love Kimi - massively skilled and not scared to mess up his hair on the track! Fernando is also a fantastic driver

I'm very worried about having two strong drivers. At the start of the season they will go hell for leather at one another which could be destructive and I really can't see either of them playing second fiddle if their is a need for a support role.

My 2c

Mike

Current: '81 308 GTSi; '81 Porsche 911 Turbo, '70 Porsche 911E, '94 Lamborghini Diablo VT; '00 Porsche 996 GT3; '07 Aston Martin Vantage
Past:
Ferrari: '81 308 GTSi
Porsche: '68 911S; '73 911 RS Rep; '81 911SC; '84 Carrera; '87 928S4;
Other: '04 Subaru WRX

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode