Valet Parking - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 09-09-2013, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 30
Valet Parking

Well, I've never worried about this before, since, I've never owned an exotic car before. I owned a jeep and ford focus before this and never really worried about a valet parking my car. I recently stayed at a very exclusive hotel in downtown L.A. that only had valet parking. I asked the man to be gentle and gave him a tip up front.
He was excited to take it and said no problem, but, this is a standard gear shift and not many cars today have that. I have a part of my life savings into this. About a week later I washed it and was wiping down the interior when I found one of their jackets behind the passenger seat.
Does anyone else have a problem handing over the keys to their car?

P.S. In the attachment I found this old service record. It's not the part but how you replace it! Lol.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-09-2013, 06:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Speaking only for a 360 and my region, I can only think of one scenario that might put me in a position to hand my keys to a valet and that's not going to happen. If I can't park it, we don't visit the establishment. A 360 with an F1 is not an easy car to quickly teach how to start & drive with driver and car safety in mind.

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
post #3 of 24 Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
A friend took his 550 when nearly new to a very nice Las Vegas hotel and had the valets look after it, big tip etc.

Got the car back the next morning with nearly 100 miles more on it.

I don't get what possesses people to do that. I don't give them the keys to my truck, I'm sure not going to do it with an exotic.

post #4 of 24 Old 09-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,206
Trusting a valet with a Ferrari is like trusting airline baggage handlers with a Ming dynasty vase.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #5 of 24 Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 60
never! i dont trust them, if i cant park it at the front i might aswell go to another place. its to special to just give the keys away...

Sebastião

“You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars.” - Enzo Ferrari
Current- Ferrari California.
post #6 of 24 Old 09-09-2013, 08:49 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 550
I think it is depending on what country you are in... I know a lot of the valet parking guys over here in Holland at some exclusive restaurants and they are all always very careful... Same for the guys at Hotel de Paris in Monaco and a lot of places in Cannes....

So definitly not a problem that everyone has i think
post #7 of 24 Old 09-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBongio View Post
Same for the guys at Hotel de Paris in Monaco and a lot of places in Cannes....

So definitly not a problem that everyone has i think
Funny you should say that. Monaco and Cannes are the only 2 places I have ever let any car I own be valet parked. Never a problem but I must admit I wasn't entirely comfortable about it.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #8 of 24 Old 09-09-2013, 01:52 PM

Always make sure you tell them to take good care of the car, most of the (younger) valet guys are real car enthousiast (if you go to the bigger city's) and always make sure you know how many Miles or KMS your car had on when you gave it with the valet guy(picture probably the best)

I've seen once a valet guy who took a Bentley for a spin while the custumer was in the restaurant eating, the owner of the car came to me after his dinner when he took his car (i was working in the hotel) and told me his problem.... The guy took it for 25kms!!! Trust me, he didnt have a job anymore after that.

That is not the idea of valet parking, valet parking should go like this:

He holds the door open for you and your passenger, he gives you a card, he put the car on a save spot and gets back to work, i think 99% is doing their work like they need to do!
post #9 of 24 Old 09-09-2013, 01:55 PM

I know Peter(Scottish16M) has a nice story about the valet parking of a certain hotel in Monaco haha
post #10 of 24 Old 09-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
99.999% Valet looks like a great gig until I guess you work it. Especially when some dude or dudette in my case drives up with an exotic. In our region they've all been awesome - show me where to park, cone it off, enjoy and come back when ready to leave.

Funny story, we parked on a busy street, got coned off, sat next to a group of guys on the hunt and for a couple hours they used "their Ferrari" as bait. Quite entertaining and after they had quite the collection the old lady and I decided to join the crowd to slip out as we were one of them so they could continue the party. A foot of snow fell the following week

Quote:
Always make sure you tell them to take good care of the car, most of the (younger) valet guys are real car enthousiast (if you go to the bigger city's) and always make sure you know how many Miles or KMS your car had on when you gave it with the valet guy(picture probably the best)

I've seen once a valet guy who took a Bentley for a spin while the custumer was in the restaurant eating, the owner of the car came to me after his dinner when he took his car (i was working in the hotel) and told me his problem.... The guy took it for 25kms!!! Trust me, he didnt have a job anymore after that.

That is not the idea of valet parking, valet parking should go like this:

He holds the door open for you and your passenger, he gives you a card, he put the car on a save spot and gets back to work, i think 99% is doing their work like they need to do!

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
post #11 of 24 Old 09-10-2013, 03:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Trusting a valet with a Ferrari is like trusting airline baggage handlers with a Ming dynasty vase.
+1! The best answer for the question! Never trust any stranger to have my key. I always park myself, even if I have to walk 10 minutes away.

Gus

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
post #12 of 24 Old 09-10-2013, 06:48 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 162
During the Monterey Car Week this year, I stayed at a hotel that had only off-site valet parking. My car (1987 BMW) has a worn lock tumbler on the driver's side and the key won't lock the car from that side anymore (it's a convertible and I never normally lock it anyway). I forgot to tell the valet.

I mentioned it the next evening when I returned and the same guy tried to reassure me by explaining that "you have to turn the key really hard" to get it to lock. Not. It does not work. And he had bent my key. There are more than just miles that can happen to a car.

It is good to read that it's just not me who feels queasy handing keys to a valet.

1983 308 GTS Quattrovalvole
post #13 of 24 Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,007
Garage
Quote:
I know Peter(Scottish16M) has a nice story about the valet parking of a certain hotel in Monaco haha
There is an excellent restaurant hereabouts that has valet parking during the summer season, when it can get very crowded and even hectic. I typically give the guys - valets - a few dollars to let me park my own car.

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #14 of 24 Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
There is an excellent restaurant hereabouts that has valet parking during the summer season, when it can get very crowded and even hectic. I typically give the guys - valets - a few dollars to let me park my own car.

In my experience, at least the restaurants will do that. I assume they don't really want the liability.
post #15 of 24 Old 09-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Quote:
You seem to know the story youre on about Nick, so why dont you tell it

I never have any problem with valet parking in the South of France & Monaco, to me its second nature and completely normal practice day to day here, also the valet guys are used to driving all manner of Supercars & luxury cars, so I'm very at ease handing the keys over to my pride and joy...

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider

Last edited by Scottish16M; 09-10-2013 at 04:26 PM.
post #16 of 24 Old 09-11-2013, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish16M View Post
You seem to know the story youre on about Nick, so why dont you tell it

I never have any problem with valet parking in the South of France & Monaco, to me its second nature and completely normal practice day to day here, also the valet guys are used to driving all manner of Supercars & luxury cars, so I'm very at ease handing the keys over to my pride and joy...

Haha i remember two mad guys and one very annoying Valet guy at the Monte Carlo bay Resort and something about Hamish

lol
post #17 of 24 Old 09-11-2013, 06:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
A friend of mine was the shop foreman at the local Lambo dealership. I was there one day and up on the lift was a Diablo with the engine sitting on a stand next to it. At the time they had only been in shipping them for only a few months. I said "that car can't be more than a few months old and already they have the engine and drivetrain out"?

He explained it had less than a 1000 miles on it and the owner parked the car in front of a resturant in the Bethesda area and the valet wanted the keys just in case the car needed to be moved. As soon as the owner went inside the valet decided to take the car for a ride a couple exits up 270 and back. When he pulled it back in front of the resturant the brake rotors were glowing red and smoke was pouring from the brakes. The valet assumed that since he pushed the ebrake lever down the brake was off.

They brought the car to the dealership and the dealer recomended new rotors and calipers and replacing the viscous coupling so the drive train needed to come out. $32,000 repair bill the resturant paid

I wouldn't give the valet the key to your focus or Jeep either! Not when they have signs posted saying they are not responsible for your car. If they aren't going to be responsible then they aren't going to be driving my vehicals.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #18 of 24 Old 09-11-2013, 06:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
I also watched one day at a valet lot at the National Institutes of Health. They couldn't find the key to one of the cars they had double parked. The valet hit the cars on either side at least 6 times trying to work the car out. The space was big enough I could have gotten a large van out. They then told the woman who owned the car she would have to wait till the owner came or one of the other cars left.

I finally offered to the owner to get her car out and got it out without hitting the cars around it. I only had to jog the car back and forth a couple times to get it out without coming close to hitting the other cars. They aren't hiring PHD's to park cars!

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #19 of 24 Old 09-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
I can vouch for the valets at the breakers. been watching them for 10yrs. they are good.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #20 of 24 Old 09-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 562
A friend of mine valet parked his 911 at Heathrow airport "Premium Valet Parking" to go to Glasgow for a couple of days. The 911 was later that day spotted by my friend's neighbour in Brighton beach, 50 miles south, driven by a young valet man and his girlfriend.

Gus

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode