CCR Racing - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 08-11-2013, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
CCR Racing

Anyone here care to share their CCR experience.

Recently attended the FCA at Elkhart and very interested in a challenge car.

I noticed a lot of f-chat stickers maybe a lil rivalry is in order

Love to challenge their fearless leaded - but we all know he won't show!
champagne612 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 08-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
believe it or not, i put some of those f-chat stickers on! Fchat was a race sponsor and they paid to have their stickers on the car. along with about a dozen other companies. Few of the racers i talked to ever heard of f-chat. i invited a couple to come on f-life, so maybe they will answer your question.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
wetpet is offline  
post #3 of 30 Old 08-11-2013, 03:33 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 3
First/only post, I check here now and again.

To your question, I raced a full CCR season last year in a 430C. Was awesome, period.

Great series, and great people. Definitely "gentleman racing" (as in sane, clean), but very competitive and some incredibly quick drivers.

Would gauge as near/at the top of amateur ranks in terms of the level of seriousness of the drivers and teams, but very inclusive and approachable in the paddock.

JohnH set this up as a non-profit, so aside from the cost of the cars (any Ferrari Challenge car is expensive to prep, run, fix), it's as value-focused a series as you'll see. Emphasis is on fun, not complexity or politics. Teams like Universal Autosports are great at getting new people in, getting these cars out of garages and onto the track and supporting them with a good value proposition.

i believe Rob raced his 355C in 2011, as I recall he was pretty competitive. I met him at the Monticello weekend which helped me decide to enter the series. 355's and 360's obviously run among themselves, but it's fun to have a mix of cars. These cars are now "vintage racers" in many ways, so you'll see modifications to almost every car, for economy or reliability.

There is a CCR section on that other site.

I would encourage anyone who wants serious but fun racing to consider it; again, these are Ferrari race cars, so a step closer to higher level amateur racing vs. regional, but if you want to do it, it's a great place.

I believe 100% of the sponsorship funds go towards offsetting the direct series costs to keep entry fees low. A close friend is also a CCR sponsor and it has been a great platform for him to grow his business with that community. Met a lot of new friends.

I would have raced CCR again this year but had an opportunity to move in a different racing direction so the 430C and Porsche got traded. If I can ever justify getting a 430C again i'll be back.
Entropy is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 Old 08-11-2013, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Entropy

Welcome to FLife!

I was banned on the other site - was hopeful a few CCR guys would post along with the others I met at Elkhart.

The Elkhart weekend was one of the best vacations I have ever had and the Ferrari community was excellent!

Can't say enough about the whole experience and what your experience is spot on to what I am looking for.

Bought a few cars from Lake Forest who helped me over the weekend but it's apparent they aren't into the CCR racing as much as others who attended.

Would like to purchase a 360 430 possibly a 458 from a group that is available - any suggestions feel free to share.
champagne612 is offline  
post #5 of 30 Old 08-11-2013, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
believe it or not, i put some of those f-chat stickers on! Fchat was a race sponsor and they paid to have their stickers on the car. along with about a dozen other companies. Few of the racers i talked to ever heard of f-chat. i invited a couple to come on f-life, so maybe they will answer your question.
Hope so too - if not they will get to know Ferrari Life by the sticker placed on my rear bumper

I have no idea how the sponsor thing works and don't really care but how much fun would a race be between the two forums

The experience at Elkhart and wish we could have grabbed a drink was far better than I could have imagined - not trading in the Mclaren but ... I get the Ferrari love!
champagne612 is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old 08-11-2013, 06:01 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 3
There are a lot of 430C's out there, fewer 360's but apparently a good handful of 355's out there. Seems like most of these cars trade within a small community, and, as with any older race car, you need to know the history.

The best place I'd advise to start is a phone call to Pete Spinella at Universal Autosports in NY. He probably buys and sells more older Challenge cars than anyone in the US, and his team supports up to 10 drivers at races. Straight shooter, no BS guy. He will warn you up front, you're buying a used race car...

As for 458C, that car is several levels up in performance and has much higher and different requirements for support. As of now 458C's are ineligible to run in CCR but I've seen a few in NARRA events. A beaten up 458C is around $220K, a perfect F430 around $130K (relatively speaking)

Aside from the usual things to check on a car, with each of these cars there are some idiosyncrasies you'll want to evalute when buying beyond a compression/leakdown et al.

Given the agreement the drivers sign (typical of any series), we must show all defined sponsor decals and cannot show any competitor imagery (eg. Pirelli sponsors, so no Hoosier stickers).
Entropy is offline  
post #7 of 30 Old 08-12-2013, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
There are a lot of 430C's out there, fewer 360's but apparently a good handful of 355's out there. Seems like most of these cars trade within a small community, and, as with any older race car, you need to know the history.

The best place I'd advise to start is a phone call to Pete Spinella at Universal Autosports in NY. He probably buys and sells more older Challenge cars than anyone in the US, and his team supports up to 10 drivers at races. Straight shooter, no BS guy. He will warn you up front, you're buying a used race car...

As for 458C, that car is several levels up in performance and has much higher and different requirements for support. As of now 458C's are ineligible to run in CCR but I've seen a few in NARRA events. A beaten up 458C is around $220K, a perfect F430 around $130K (relatively speaking)

Aside from the usual things to check on a car, with each of these cars there are some idiosyncrasies you'll want to evalute when buying beyond a compression/leakdown et al.

Given the agreement the drivers sign (typical of any series), we must show all defined sponsor decals and cannot show any competitor imagery (eg. Pirelli sponsors, so no Hoosier stickers).
Thanks for the insight.

Spoken with a few shops that service CCR cars and will call Universal today.

There are a few new 458's that were never driven - but need to get an idea on running costs vs the 430 / 360.

One advantage aside from price - the 360 seems a lot easier to make tire changes.

I see a lot of 360's with Hoosier stickers - assume they have been sitting awhile.
champagne612 is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 08-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Owner
 
BluNart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New England, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 479
I believe Hoosier had the tire contract with CCR last year and this year is Pirelli. In regards to tire changes, if you buy a 430C with the lift option and your crew has a nitrous tank, a 430 tire change is quick. Quite the hoot if you haven't seen the process in person.

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
BluNart is offline  
post #9 of 30 Old 08-12-2013, 06:26 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ONTARIO
Ferrari Life Posts: 768
We should have a challenge section.During race season I'm hired by Universal Autosport to help run 10 to 12 car race team . We also run 2 cars in the 458 Ferrari Challenge. Busy race season when running in both series.
It would be a great section and lots of info with pictures. Hope to meet some of you guys at the Glen on labour day weekend for a CCR race.
Thanks
Alex.
ALEX A is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 08-13-2013, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX A View Post
We should have a challenge section.During race season I'm hired by Universal Autosport to help run 10 to 12 car race team . We also run 2 cars in the 458 Ferrari Challenge. Busy race season when running in both series.
It would be a great section and lots of info with pictures. Hope to meet some of you guys at the Glen on labour day weekend for a CCR race.
Thanks
Alex.
Agree!

I was hoping to make the trip but family is in town - so who knows.

By any chance have you seen the Blue / White 430 at the dealer in Canada.

Apparently it is the owners car and comes with a lot of spares - 16k on the odometer which seems high.
champagne612 is offline  
post #11 of 30 Old 08-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
can't believe i missed alex and doug! Alex, i was supporting #44 360c and #99 430c. we were directly across from Pilota. Maybe you saw domenic's gigantic chevy 4500 pickup? it kinda stood out.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
wetpet is offline  
post #12 of 30 Old 08-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Owner
 
BluNart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New England, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 479
We'll be with Pilota at Watkin's - hope to see you both.

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
BluNart is offline  
post #13 of 30 Old 08-13-2013, 04:22 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ONTARIO
Ferrari Life Posts: 768
We can get together for a beer.
ALEX A is offline  
post #14 of 30 Old 08-13-2013, 05:54 PM
 
RGVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Ferrari Life Posts: 30
I'll be there. Looking forward to it. No CCR stuff, but going for lots of track time.
RGVA is offline  
post #15 of 30 Old 08-13-2013, 06:02 PM
 
RGVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Ferrari Life Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNart View Post
We'll be with Pilota at Watkin's - hope to see you both.
Met the Pilota guys at VIR last year during an FCA event then again at The Glen over Labor Day. Great guys. All the teams and crews are fantastic - Pilota, IFS, Classic Coach, etc.
RGVA is offline  
post #16 of 30 Old 08-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Owner
 
BluNart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New England, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Everyone staying at the harbor hotel? Great spot for a beer Friday after a day on the track and breakfast on the water is almost priceless.

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
BluNart is offline  
post #17 of 30 Old 08-14-2013, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNart View Post
Everyone staying at the harbor hotel? Great spot for a beer Friday after a day on the track and breakfast on the water is almost priceless.
That's what I have booked - but still iffy on attending.

Lobster for breakfast?
champagne612 is offline  
post #18 of 30 Old 08-14-2013, 04:47 AM
 
GuyIncognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,340
Dougie, buy a 430 Challenge car!

then hire me to drive it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Chas, you sir, are a genius.
GuyIncognito is offline  
post #19 of 30 Old 08-14-2013, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
Dougie, buy a 430 Challenge car!

then hire me to drive it
That's what I was thinking too

I am struggling with purchasing an 8 yr old race car!

Searching all options - must get this correct the first time.
champagne612 is offline  
post #20 of 30 Old 08-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pacific North West
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
That's what I was thinking too

I am struggling with purchasing an 8 yr old race car!

Searching all options - must get this correct the first time.
Definitely pay Chas to go look at the car. That is a for sure!

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
markjayw is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale