Ferrari Considering LMP1 Le Mans Comeback - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-07-2013, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Ferrari Considering LMP1 Le Mans Comeback

Ferrari, one of the world’s most successful manufacturers to have ever competed in the legendary 24 Hours of Le Mans is considering a return to LMP1 racing. According to reports from Auto Motor Und Sport, the Italian company is seriously assessing the possibility of returning to the top-level of endurance racing.

A return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans for Ferrari is possible for next year, but more likely in 2015. This would come at the perfect time when Formula One receives a massive shakeup with the introduction of new six-cylinder turbocharged engines. Consequently, Ferrari could borrow some technologies used in its 2014 and 2015 Formula One cars for use in a possible Ferrari LMP1 entrant.

If Ferrari does indeed make a comeback to Le Mans Prototype racing, it would carry on from an extremely successful past at the historic endurance event. In fact, Ferrari has won the 24 Hours of Le Mans no less than nine times with their latest victory coming way back in 1965 before the company left Le Mans prototype racing after 1973.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-07-2013, 02:47 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 507
I would really really be looking forward to this have wondered a bunch of times how cool would it be to have Ferrari back in LMP1. Hope it will come true and won't stay as a rumour...

"Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" - Horace, Carpe Diem
post #3 of 8 Old 08-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,134

post #4 of 8 Old 08-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
i was just talking about this at the road america challenge races this weekend. guess ferrari's ears were burning.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 8 Old 08-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
I would love for this to happen, but it's hard to see why Ferrari would change its ways. The cost would be enormous and I'm not seeing the return.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #6 of 8 Old 08-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
A couple of years or so ago, there were some posts on the web with a car that was rumored to be the Ferrari LMP1 ... of course, it did not materialize. But this is photo of a car was sported about. I have no idea the genesis of this photo (real car or photoshop) ... but if Ferrari showed up with this car at Le Mans, they would get a "10" for style ...
Attached Images

post #7 of 8 Old 08-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I would love for this to happen, but it's hard to see why Ferrari would change its ways. The cost would be enormous and I'm not seeing the return.

Onno
I respectfully differ ... Ferrari is pouring money into F1 with dismal results. I see a return of Le Mans racing for many manufacturers ... the old saying that winning races sells cars seems to be something that makers like Porsche, Aston, Jaguar, Chevrolet, Nissan, BMW, Audi, etc are finding to be true. For example, I enjoy F1 racing, but doubt it sells many cars for Ferrari. It might sell t-shirts and posters, though. I believe if Ferrari could mount a successful effort and say win the manufacturer's championship over say, Porsche ... it would boost their desirability higher than now. IMO, I much rather see Ferrari focus on Le Mans series rather than F1. I think F1 has reduced itself to selling of beverages (Red Bull Team) and becoming the venue of far off locations to attract tourists (e.g., Dubai and Bahrain). I would love to see Bernie Ecclestone keep his circus and let's have a race series that is open to more manufacturer's. I would much rather see a Porsche / Ferrari rivalry than a Red Bull / Ferrari one. I can't drive a red bull.

Just to reinforce some points ... Virtually all innovation in F1 is aimed at aerodynamics. The rules are becoming or are already very stiff (I think they are moving to V6 engines soon). There is virtually no innovation in F1 which is applicable to road cars. On the other hand, LeMans series cars have more relaxed rules, the innovations is on longevity of the noisy bits and bits that go around circles (engines, transmissions, tires). They have lights and windshield wipers in LeMans cars.

Last year, Porsche made a choice to do F1 or LeMans ... they are choosing LeMans, they have hired Mark Webber away from Red Bull. And Porsche says LeMans is less expensive than F1. I think it is wise move and it would please me to see Ferrari do the same. Maybe the home team (i.e., Fiat) will enter LeMans wtih Maserati.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,134
Agree, as an investment, LeMans would certainly be cheaper for Ferrari than running a junior F1 team (Scuderia Alfa F1?)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode