Substitute and Cross Reference Parts for Ferraris - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-24-2013, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
Substitute and Cross Reference Parts for Ferraris

I believe many people here know that there are many Ferrari parts which are the same as used on other cars ... and likely can be had for lower cost than purchasing the Ferrari part number. For example ... the F1 pump for a 360 (and I believe the 575 and 430) costs about $1000 give or take. The same pump for an Alpha Romeo Selespeed pump (Euro spec) can be purchased for $200 or so. The MAF sensor for the 360 is a Bosch part and I understand it is the same unit used on some Cadillac models (for less money). Many relays used on our cars can be sourced for less than half what Ferrari is asking. I expect the list goes on.

If you know of a part for a Ferrari that can be sourced for less through an alternative source (e.g., Alpha Selespeed Pump substitute for 360 F1 pump), I can take your data and place it an Excel Workbook database with query capabilities that one can request. I am attaching a PDF of the Excel Workbook. It can be kept as an attachment to say a sticky thread here.

I am attaching the PDF here ... there is only limited data in the Excel database, and I can modify the PDF output as more data is available. For example, separate into sections for each Ferrari Model and then sort by part description.

Maybe something like this exists already?

Regards,

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Parts_CrossRef.pdf (80.5 KB, 432 views)

Last edited by bisel; 07-24-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-24-2014, 12:29 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
360 Parts Cross Reference

Have you matured the spreadsheet that you started several years ago? Are people helping out?

I have just purchased an '03 360 Spider, replacing my '95 Lotus Esprit S4. Our Lotus clubs have been publishing parts cross reference spreadsheets since the early 1990's.

Regards,

Harvey
post #3 of 7 Old 10-25-2014, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi Harvey,

I thought it might have taken off with people posting their contributions, but it did not.

I have found a couple of other parts to cross reference ... not biggies, though. One is the F1 Pump Relay ... 50A model and the other is the brake light switch on the brake pedal. Both on the 360.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-25-2014, 06:52 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,206
Steve, I think it's a good idea as long as you keep it in the public domain.

There's a number of cross reference threads on the other site, that someone with a lot of time on their hands could probably convert to a single database.

What would be useful is to include Ferrari P/N, OEM Mfg & OEM P/N, plus perhaps the models of Ferrari's used on (as well as any other cars, ie Volvo, etc.)

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #5 of 7 Old 10-25-2014, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi John,

I will check around on the other site. Will follow your suggestion and keep it as an Excel workbook and allow users to download, update and re-post. That is about as close as can get to public domain database.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Steve, I think it's a good idea as long as you keep it in the public domain.

There's a number of cross reference threads on the other site, that someone with a lot of time on their hands could probably convert to a single database.

What would be useful is to include Ferrari P/N, OEM Mfg & OEM P/N, plus perhaps the models of Ferrari's used on (as well as any other cars, ie Volvo, etc.)
post #6 of 7 Old 10-25-2014, 08:04 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
How does using non-ferrari part, yes even though the are similar or if not same, affect the long term value of the car?
post #7 of 7 Old 10-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by efg2014 View Post
How does using non-ferrari part, yes even though the are similar or if not same, affect the long term value of the car?
Often the Ferrari part is a Bosch part with a Bosch number in a yellow box with a black horsey on it, and it costs 5x or 10x what buying the same Bosch part in a Bosch box costs. Once the part is mounted on the car, there's no way of knowing whether it came in a yellow box or a Bosch box.

There are always exceptions, however, and Ferrari does have trade agreements with some of their suppliers where you cannot buy the same part from the supplier, and you're forced to pay the Ferrari "tax". I've been dealing with this recently for the Mahle pistons & rings and Pankl rods for my 550 Maranello. Yes, they're Mahle pistons and Pankl rods, but can I buy them from Mahle or Pankl, or their aftermarket organisation? No, only through Ferrari.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

Last edited by cribbj; 10-25-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode