Poor visibility tips. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-25-2013, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
Poor visibility tips.

Hey guys,

As i am enjoying my F430, i am concerned about the poor visibility i have when changing lanes. Any tips from you seasoned pro's out there so that guys like me who are new to these types of cars can have safe driving experiences? I did test drive the new MBenz SUV's and love the orange and green light things in the side mirrors but not sure thats an option to retro that into the F430 nor would i want to. Look fwd to your responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,335
Cheng, Just drive fast, that way nothing behind you is a factor...

Seriously, I find that I have to be more careful in the Spider - other cars are attracted to it like ramoras to a shark. In aviation, we have a term called SA - situational awareness. You would think with a vast empty sky we could be less vigilant than on a freeway. You would be wrong. You have to develop and maintain a sense of all things around you. I find that keeping SA of everything around me while driving is the biggest factor in keeping me from bumping into a road remora.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-26-2013, 01:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
+1, I agree with all Killer58 writes, its all about checking, checking & checking again & doing so constantly.....
Make sure you constantly check your mirrors, the road behind & ahead & not just immediately in front, but also as far as you can see, anticipate traffic approaching, all obstacles, the car tires of the vehicles you come up on, to see if they are changing direction & remember there are many people who dont check mirrors before pulling out & if youre at speed they might not see you!!!
Also there are many boy racers out there who will want to race & beat a Ferrari & theyre not all between 18 & 25 in souped up cars either, so let them go & remember to always drive within your comfort zone, cos as soon as you feel out if it then you are out of control & thats a very dangerous place to be, whether you have driving skills or not, so best to stay safe & have fun in your new F430 Spider & stay within that comfort zone of yours, following the above awareness!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider

post #4 of 13 Old 06-26-2013, 04:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Plus if I'm ever with a passenger, I ask them to keep an eye on my blind side. My wife and my Dad are good at that.

But I agree about SA, also being a private pilot. In the end, be vigilant, and drive defensively. In your car, you OWN the road man!!!

Edit; All of the above stuff, and you can always add some tiny additional convex mirror accessories to your side view mirrors - they can be pretty small and somewhat discreet, and are easily removed if you ever sell the car.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-26-2013, 05:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Peter and Dave are spot on.

Before I ever made a left turn in a helo, I always asked the person in the left seat if I was "cleared left" to turn. Same thing in fixed wing (but person in right seat, for right turns).

Asking for help is a sign of strength and continuously work on developing that situational awareness.

I'm also thinking of configuring a rear-mounted WiFi Go-Pro2 camera to a dashboard mounted display monitor.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,872
Cheng- Do not rely completely on your mirrors, either. Look over your shoulders in your blind spots before making a lane change. On my 308 GTS, I actually removed the exterior mirrors to force myself to look over my shoulders as training for flying fighters.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
I always try to be aware of who is around me at all times, but I still double check before changing lanes. One nice thing about the 12C vs. the 430's and 458's, better visibility.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
post #8 of 13 Old 06-26-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
SAlt?

Thanks fellas. Yes, i am checking and re-checking my mirrors constantly. I need to know where all the cars are around me. i avoid being lined up with another car to my immediate left or right and keep at least 3-4 seconds behind the car in front of me on the freeways.

Havent run into any race car drivers on the road that want to challenge me but i agree with ignoring them. i, we, have nothing to prove. i just want to drive the F430 for the sheer pleasure of driving and thats about it. not out there to flaunt, taunt or beat anyone in a race.

Taz, i always get reminded that i have zero visibility over my shoulders when i look to my left for a lane change. I get nervous not seeing in that area. So i double check my mirror and still look over my shoulder out of habit.

Cameras are getting so small nowadays, a wireless panarama that shows rear and sides would be what i would install if it existed. My partner supposedly has this in her GL450 but i have yet to confirm what it looks like. Hmm...maybe a shark fin type install? that wouldnt look too bad now would it??? okay...okay...probly not.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 02:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish16M View Post
+1, I agree with all Killer58 writes, its all about checking, checking & checking again & doing so constantly.....
Make sure you constantly check your mirrors, the road behind & ahead & not just immediately in front, but also as far as you can see, anticipate traffic approaching, all obstacles, the car tires of the vehicles you come up on, to see if they are changing direction & remember there are many people who dont check mirrors before pulling out & if youre at speed they might not see you!!!
Also there are many boy racers out there who will want to race & beat a Ferrari & theyre not all between 18 & 25 in souped up cars either, so let them go & remember to always drive within your comfort zone, cos as soon as you feel out if it then you are out of control & thats a very dangerous place to be, whether you have driving skills or not, so best to stay safe & have fun in your new F430 Spider & stay within that comfort zone of yours, following the above awareness!
Unless a black 458 is behind you eh Peter? Then its balls out all the way?

Cars
458 coupe normale, California T, Speciale A, 458 GT3, FF Maserati Ghibli diesel!
on way in 2015: La F, and 488, 2016 488 spider
post #10 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 04:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
Unless a black 458 is behind you eh Peter? Then its balls out all the way?
Only if its piloted by you, as I have confidence in your skills to also play safe !!!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #11 of 13 Old 07-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 357
post #12 of 13 Old 07-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Owner

Side mirror improvement

Here is how I improved my passenger side mirror to give me great visibility of all issues: ZERO BLIND SPOTS

Ordered a convex mirror from AutoZone | Auto Parts & Accessories | Repair Guides & More (see photo of package for part #)
I then cut mirror to fit inside side mirror housing using a diamond blade on a dremel tool
Be very careful, gentle and go slowly using blue painters tape as your cut line guide.
once mirror is cut completely cut the plastic backing with same blade, then use side of diamond blade to polish the mirror cut.
To attach to mirror I used Velcro for easy removal.

See photo of before and after cut.

Now I see everything.

10pc Diamond Cut-Off Grinding Wheel Set - Fits Dremel - 7 Styles with Mandrels - Amazon.com
Attached Images

post #13 of 13 Old 07-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Owner

Completion / install photo

No more fear and double checks for making rapid lane changes!
Just need to work on a trim / molding for exposed mirror cut line
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode