Is reving the begesus out of the car OK? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-11-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Is reving the begesus out of the car OK?

I've been viewing numerous Youtube vids of Ferrari's with stock and aftermarket exhausts blipping the throttle to make some incredible sounds, love it. But I'm just wondering if blipping the revs up to 8,000 rpm repeatedly with no load is potentially harmful to the motor? I'm assuming everything is at operating temperature and the motor was turned off before the start of the recording, as doing this at cold start up would not be wise. Owner's comments please? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Engines can blow up after repeated visits to redline whether loaded or unloaded. I've seen it happen in both circumstances, equally catastrophic in most cases. There is a difference between a few short bursts to the limiter and just pegging the motor there and revving the hell out of it.

Common sense is a great filter of what is OK and what is carelessness.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
I have first-hand experience of a failed rod at 8500 rpm although this was when racing a vintage snowmobile. Piston, rod, sleeve, crankcase, bearings all in small pieces and poured out through the tuned exhaust pipe. Fortunately it only required a rebuild of the 1 and only cylinder. I could not imagine such a failure in a high performance exotic Ferrari. Extremely painful emotionally and I suppose also in the pocketbook!

Last edited by cdem72; 06-11-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: typo

post #4 of 11 Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Rarely have people properly warmed up the car before they rev it when stationary like madmen. This is very damaging to the engine and will in time certainly have consequences.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #5 of 11 Old 06-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
the cars where built to rev that high and higher. If done properly after warmup it is certainly more risky than idling at 1,000, but i can't see why it would cause damage unless there is another problem. God knows mine has been revved to the limit 100+ times in the 8 years i have owned it. Hell, on almost every shift . Disclaimer: I am NOT a mechanic and i don't play one on TV.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 11 Old 06-19-2013, 06:28 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Reving an engine with no load is a sure way to get premature engine wear if not a blown egine. No engine is designed for free reving!
post #7 of 11 Old 06-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Pro-Tip: Never ever even for a millisecond, consider buying Debbie's Aventador.

Lamborghini Batventador Shoots Huge Flames [Video]

This was shot upon arrival in LA (during goldrush rally) but the night before in SF she literally demonstrated the flame thrower effect for a solid 10-15 minutes in front of the Fairmont Hotel. Endless bouncing off the rev limiter while stationary. Have to wonder if the factory will even honor the warranty after this abuse.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
Pro-Tip: Never ever even for a millisecond, consider buying Debbie's Aventador.

Lamborghini Batventador Shoots Huge Flames [Video]

This was shot upon arrival in LA (during goldrush rally) but the night before in SF she literally demonstrated the flame thrower effect for a solid 10-15 minutes in front of the Fairmont Hotel. Endless bouncing off the rev limiter while stationary. Have to wonder if the factory will even honor the warranty after this abuse.
I saw her do the same thing in St Louis last weekend.

Funny thing is and I don't know if she is one - but many drivers rent the cars from Black & White including the guy who wrecked the Mclaren.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
I saw her do the same thing in St Louis last weekend.

Funny thing is and I don't know if she is one - but many drivers rent the cars from Black & White including the guy who wrecked the Mclaren.
It's her Lambo. B&W was a title sponsor so you saw their logos on most cars. I'm not 100% but I think there were only a small handful that were actually rentals - maybe 6.

Ben Chen borrowed / rented (who knows) the Macca after his Pur Blanc Veyron was put on the DL due to a faulty radiator or something. Bet he's just glad to be alive right about now. I imagine the lawyers will have a field day with him though.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedwayspyder View Post
Reving an engine with no load is a sure way to get premature engine wear if not a blown egine. No engine is designed for free reving!
^^^ what he said
post #11 of 11 Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 58
Debbie, "Does the Aventador have a rev limiter?"

Lambo Dealer, "Sure does. It protects the engine from excessive RPM."

Debbie, "Oh.............. OK. ...... I was worried that I might hurt something."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode