How To Be A Ferrari Engineer? (Question from an incoming freshman of UIUC) - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-10-2013, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
How To Be A Ferrari Engineer? (Question from an incoming freshman of UIUC)

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but I believe I share the same passion with y'all: FERRARI!!! As an international student at 18 years of age, I am attending Univ of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Engineering as a freshman, and my major is Mechanical Engineering. I really want to be a Ferrari Engineer but I dont know how! Does Ferrari like graduates from US? Which grad school does Ferrari like better? I also want to transfer to U of Michigan at some point, does U of M has a better automotive reputation? I'm almost crazy about racing cars and automotive stuff, and I'm currently doing some internship in a auto repair shop. But what should I do next~? Seeking some advices here....thank you sooooo much if you can reply this thread! Also, it'd be great if I can meet some other UIUCers here!~ XXDD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-10-2013, 06:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEM View Post
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but I believe I share the same passion with y'all: FERRARI!!! As an international student at 18 years of age, I am attending Univ of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Engineering as a freshman, and my major is Mechanical Engineering. I really want to be a Ferrari Engineer but I dont know how! Does Ferrari like graduates from US? Which grad school does Ferrari like better? I also want to transfer to U of Michigan at some point, does U of M has a better automotive reputation? I'm almost crazy about racing cars and automotive stuff, and I'm currently doing some internship in a auto repair shop. But what should I do next~? Seeking some advices here....thank you sooooo much if you can reply this thread! Also, it'd be great if I can meet some other UIUCers here!~ XXDD
While I can't give you any advice on how to get "in" with Ferrari, I do have to congratulate you nonetheless:

You clearly have passion and a well defined vision of what you want to do in your life. How many kids (sorry, you're 18 -- young adult) can say that these days? The only thing I can tell you is work hard, get the best grades you can, and practice your chosen trade as much as possible. Both U of I and U of M have great engineering departments, so you really can't go wrong there: What you might consider is undergraduate degree at U of I, then Masters program at U of M. Also: Considering how much computers control everything these days, you might consider some minoring in Computer Engineering. Never hurts.

- Jeff
- 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS #71403
post #3 of 12 Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 507
I've heard that Ferrari likes your experience and knowledge first before your school. Also, Ferrari is the hardest goal you can have from the current marques. Even Lamborghini is easier through the VW AG and Audi. (Talking of others' experiences I know though.)

"Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" - Horace, Carpe Diem

Last edited by GranTurismo; 06-10-2013 at 07:07 AM.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacElf View Post

You clearly have passion and a well defined vision of what you want to do in your life. How many kids (sorry, you're 18 -- young adult) can say that these days?
I'm in a class of 30 and only me (17) and two of my friends (17, 18) here got clear plans for the future. From my experience and the people I know from my age states it clearly that most of them just can't take it seriously and hopes that their parents or the life will solve the problems instead of them. Pity...

"Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" - Horace, Carpe Diem
post #5 of 12 Old 06-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranTurismo View Post
I've heard that Ferrari likes your experience and knowledge first before your school. Also, Ferrari is the hardest goal you can have from the current marques. Even Lamborghini is easier through the VW AG and Audi. (Talking of others' experiences I know though.)
Nothing wrong with Big Bold Goals. Good luck to you in your endeavors.

- Jeff
- 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS #71403
post #6 of 12 Old 06-10-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with Big Bold Goals. Good luck to you in your endeavors.
Thanks Jeff!

post #7 of 12 Old 06-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #8 of 12 Old 06-11-2013, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
While I can't give you any advice on how to get "in" with Ferrari, I do have to congratulate you nonetheless:

You clearly have passion and a well defined vision of what you want to do in your life. How many kids (sorry, you're 18 -- young adult) can say that these days? The only thing I can tell you is work hard, get the best grades you can, and practice your chosen trade as much as possible. Both U of I and U of M have great engineering departments, so you really can't go wrong there: What you might consider is undergraduate degree at U of I, then Masters program at U of M. Also: Considering how much computers control everything these days, you might consider some minoring in Computer Engineering. Never hurts.
I've been out for the whole day....sorry for the late reply!! Thank u very much 4 ur encouragement & advice. Indeed I plan to minor in computer science/engineering, and I'm also in the honor program (james scholar) in U of I as well. I'll try my best to graduate with honor and get earn a Master degree of Automotive Engineering at U of M! My only concern is that I'm a Chinese student, and U of M doesn't seem to like people from my country very much. T^T Anyways I think I should try my best!
post #9 of 12 Old 06-11-2013, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks. Actually I think if I can earn a pass into Benz or some other major manufacturer that would be great as well. I can work for a while and gain some experience. I'm still deciding if I should work in the racing/sports department or those design ones. Racing is always my passion, but working on new techs could help more people i guess~
post #10 of 12 Old 06-11-2013, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm in a class of 30 and only me (17) and two of my friends (17, 18) here got clear plans for the future. From my experience and the people I know from my age states it clearly that most of them just can't take it seriously and hopes that their parents or the life will solve the problems instead of them. Pity...
Yeah...I started to plan my life coz I think I planned too late in my college application. I got a 1500+ SAT(CR+M) and a 3.8 GPA, but since I planned too late I missed the chance to get into some even better schools like CMU and Northwestern. But anyways, better late than never, right~? Maybe an earlier planning and executing can help me in later days...~~ Let's work hard and acheive our goals~!!
post #11 of 12 Old 06-11-2013, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. good luck !!
yeah thnx!
post #12 of 12 Old 06-11-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEM View Post
Let's work hard and acheive our goals~!!
Well said. Although my current school is great for engineering it does not have enough to do with automotive studies, so I grab every chance to improve my knowledge and get experinces. Next year, we can apply for a proffesional practice month in Mallorca between October and November. Would be hell lot of a fun.
Haven't been there since 2004.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode