F1 Backing Uphill--NO-NO? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-09-2013, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
F1 Backing Uphill--NO-NO?

A few days ago in a discussion on F1 problems in 430 and 360, a knowlegable chap stated here that you should never go up-hill in reverse.

Now due to my driveway, I have to back up into my garage. If I went in forward, I would scrape the front overhang.

I would have to install a skid plate and /or Teflon rollers. Has anyone ever done this? I am talking about a stock 360 coupe with stock wheels and tyres. Not lowered.

I need advice and recommendations. Please do not tell me that I shudda bought a 3 pedal car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
I got these to solve that problem. Works great for me.

Bridjit Curb Ramps - The "No Jar To Your Car", Curb Ramp Solution!

Regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lehrer View Post
A few days ago in a discussion on F1 problems in 430 and 360, a knowlegable chap stated here that you should never go up-hill in reverse.

Now due to my driveway, I have to back up into my garage. If I went in forward, I would scrape the front overhang.

I would have to install a skid plate and /or Teflon rollers. Has anyone ever done this? I am talking about a stock 360 coupe with stock wheels and tyres. Not lowered.

I need advice and recommendations. Please do not tell me that I shudda bought a 3 pedal car!
post #3 of 5 Old 06-15-2013, 11:58 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
I have always reversed into my garage, which is uphill at a reasonable pitch. The key is to start the manoeveur on a flat area, and keep a steady speed, I reverse back and turn to the left, one sweeping arc, up and into the garage, once there, the final jinks into a straight line, close to the wall, are essentially on the flat. By keeping the steady speed, I believe the clutch is fully off so the car is not riding it up the hill (which would be the problem). So far so good, not had any issues with any of the cars, ferraris, maseratis, Astons nor lambos, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Driving forwards into the garage for me is harder because the side the Ferrari lives has a low wall outside the garage that sweeps away, and to swing out would risk not seeing it, as my garage, while big in the UK, is slim compared to US type, and having a second car gives little wiggle room making you struggle to get much turning done until you are about out of the space, dancing dangerously close to the wall. Tried it in a 575 once and saved the nose by about 5mm! Never again.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-16-2013, 01:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Jerry, I share your concerns.

My house and carports are situated hillside and the road where I have to back into the carports is narrow and severe. A single turn is virtually impossible.

Saying that, with practice and skills, most of my cars can be backed without serious penalties. However, among the cars, my RUF is probably the hardest to maneuver and back in due to her extremely light manual clutch that is so sensitive and difficult to control.

It was live and learn and it was too late before I found out my clutch suffered requiring a new one.

Since, I have become better at the maneuvering, also more careful. In addition, I have improvised and changed my entry, meaning instead of approaching downhill and backing in, I changed my entry point and now I approach from the opposite direction, going uphill and backing in in neutral, hoping to spare my delicate clutch ! Seems to be working for me.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #5 of 5 Old 06-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,873
Jerry- It all depends on the Ferrari. 360s and Maranellos both have very high reverse gears, almost as high as 2nd gear. The F430 and 599 have much lower reverse gears so reversing is not as much of a problem. Like Sid said, if you can start out on a level surface and get the clutch locked up, no sweat. Old wives' tale that the clutch slips continuously in reverse, fomented by some on the other site. Once locked up, if she does not lug, you should be set. If you have to start on an upslope in reverse with a 360 or Maranello, it is much rougher on the clutch.

We have had owners use the rubber filler Steve mentioned, and another owner had his driveway ground down to make a smoother access so he could go up in 1st.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode