Am I crazy to buy an 86 328 with no history? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-25-2013, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Am I crazy to buy an 86 328 with no history?

Hi All,

I am new with Ferrari but I have always loved them. My favorite has always been a 250 GTO Berlinetta but I can't afford it.
I have always owned cars that I can maintain myself from vintage Jaguars, Porsches, Mercedes, Astons, Alfas, Vintage Fiats, Corvettes, etc.
I read that the 328 is a motor that does not have to come out for service. Is it a doable self repair car, with the right manuals?
I like the look of the 308-328 and at my age (61) it would fill that void as my first.
I found one locally but it has no history. It runs great and is clean with 45k miles. Should I wait for one with a history?
Black with a black & tan interior.
Thanks for any input.

Thanks
Jax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-26-2013, 01:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Jax, welcome to FL.

Suffice to say that I am in no position to make any valuable comments because of my lack of knowledge. You did not comment on the price, but my take is that if the price is low relative to other examples with so called proofs and records, it may be a viable choice. Also, the fact that you seem to be knowledgable with cars and a tinkerer too, you should be able to judge if the car is in good condition or not. So, from these standpoints, you should be able to make some rational decisions as to whether this car is worth your consideration to buy.

I know that the usual advice is to look for the best example with stellar records and so forth but be ready to pay top $.

Oh well, let this amateur stop and allow the experts to make better comments.

Good luck with your search.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #3 of 3 Old 05-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,873
Jax- Welcome to Ferrari Life. You can make your own history by changing all the fluids and filters and replacing the cambelts and spark plugs. If she has no leaks, the A/C works well, and she runs well, sounds like a basis for a good car. Have an expert inspect her for you and he will find any problem areas.

You can download owners manuals and a 308 QV/328 workshop manual at ferraridatabase.com. Belt changes on the 328 are done without removing the engine, so maintenance costs are less than for a 348 or F355 and more easily done by a skilled amateur wrench. There are many online how-tos on the 328 that will help you understand her.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode