2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 Old 03-31-2013, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,123
Best Drive in a Ferrari?

What has been your best, most memorable drive in a Ferrari? Where was it? When? and what made it the best?

I am torn between a run in the F40 in Italy back in 2006 when we drove from Maranello to Monaco and had the friendly local law enforcement clear a path for us for several hundred KM of energetic driving and western Highlands loop in the Scuderia last May on FLED 6. Great roads, challenging and rewarding driving, good company, and stunning scenery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 03-31-2013, 01:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Great thread! Can't believe this had never been done before!

Initial thought is Dublin - Annecy - Marannello - Monte Carlo. Back in 2007 in the 360 on the eve of my 30th birthday. A monumental cross continent, epic drive, with my wife beside me, my new Ferrari and culminating in a factory tour and a weekend in Monaco. Picked as much for the fact that it was my first big Ferrari drive and marked the achievement of a multitude of personal goals that I had held since childhood as for any specific drive (but the roads were pretty good too!)

There are many other contenders as well... The snowy Italian FLED in Capo's 430 spider, THAT drive in 212's F50, the Highlands (the whole trip!), the 2007 trip to Silverstone with my father, the drive home with my son after collecting the 308, the list is endless.

I am privileged to have such great memories. We all are.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #3 of 76 Old 03-31-2013, 01:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
My best and most memorable drive was the western Highland loop on Fled 6 for all the same reasons, Scott. I spefically recall starting up in the mornings, crisp slightly damp weather with the sun peeping through the clouds watching the F cars in front of me. Priceless!

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control

post #4 of 76 Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 166
When I first starting looking to buy a ferrari I test drove a scud. 1 month later I bought a scud just based on the test drive. What a car. I need to drive other F cars to see what they are like. I'm gonna get in an F12 soon. Can't imagine it will be better, just different I guess.
post #5 of 76 Old 03-31-2013, 04:08 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
Best Ferrari Drive at Disney

Last week I went to the Disney track and drove 14 laps in a 430 Scuderia. Top speed of 112 mph with lots of turns and one straight away. What a blast. Without the coach I probably would have putted around the track. It's the first time I understood and felt the Ferrari racing legend. A totally different experience and one that i highly recommend. You won't be able to do this (well legally anyway) on the street.

On a side note, it was really nice, but I think I'm more set on the 612 after driving the 430. Turns out at my age, I'm a GT guy needing a back seat.
post #6 of 76 Old 03-31-2013, 05:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 700
Lots of road drives come to mind but I have to say to be part of 964 Ferrari's at Silverstone was very special - certainly not fast! Drive home was pretty great as well as you can imagine. What's more, it was my birthday!

'SCUD' Verb. To move fast as if driven by the wind.
post #7 of 76 Old 03-31-2013, 05:58 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 550
My best drive was last November at the Cote 'd Azur! Ferrari FF, what a great sound in the hills! I was following another Ferrari where Paul/Habsy was in, best drive ever for me!
post #8 of 76 Old 03-31-2013, 07:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Many great drives !..THE best one ???
Some stand out's, yes...but most importantly..sharing with someone or a whole group. Many of you joined those great drives ! Most of all: I'm thankful for THAT, sharing and experiencing with you all out there. Thank you for this !

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #9 of 76 Old 03-31-2013, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
western Highlands loop in the Scuderia last May on FLED 6. Great roads, challenging and rewarding driving, good company, and stunning scenery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550JM View Post
My best and most memorable drive was the western Highland loop on Fled 6 for all the same reasons, Scott. I spefically recall starting up in the mornings, crisp slightly damp weather with the sun peeping through the clouds watching the F cars in front of me. Priceless!
I do remember we started off down the left side of Loch Ness in light sleet before to heading across the mountains and into the sunshine. The roads then just opened up brilliantly for the rest of the day. Lots of brilliant high fast sweepers, a few hairpin turns, and some long clear straights to stretch the legs. The fact that traffic was light just improved the experience. The Scuderia just ate up the road and wanted to be let to run. Ceramics in the twisty stuff were simply brilliant.
post #10 of 76 Old 03-31-2013, 08:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I do remember we started off down the left side of Loch Ness in light sleet before to heading across the mountains and into the sunshine. The roads then just opened up brilliantly for the rest of the day. Lots of brilliant high fast sweepers, a few hairpin turns, and some long clear straights to stretch the legs. The fact that traffic was light just improved the experience. The Scuderia just ate up the road and wanted to be let to run. Ceramics in the twisty stuff were simply brilliant.
Boxer/Jeroen, it truly was a magical day for a run that just got better & better as the day rolled on, you guys certainly enjoyed Scotland at her very best that week for sure!

I'm currently travelling through France and despite my previous predudice to the original California, this new 30 model is one hellova Grand Tourer as we've effortlessly driven over 1,000 miles into our journey in the last 3 days and neither myself nor my wife has so much as an ache. Roll on tomorrow and the final 350 mile leg to Cannes, as the brilliant drivers road the Route Napoleon beckons

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider

Last edited by Scottish16M; 03-31-2013 at 08:22 AM.
post #11 of 76 Old 03-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 979
Great thread, glad you started it. Have truly enjoyed reading everyone's experiences. Definitely what makes the Ferrari ownership so unique and special.

I haven't had my F car for very long. so don't have any super memorable drives yet, but I hope to soon!

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #12 of 76 Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 735
Not counting my times on a race track, I would have to say my most memorable drive was in the spring of 1963. That was back in the days of no major interconnecting interstate highways. Route 66 in the West was just a two lane road. The trip was from Oakland, California (just across the bay from SanFrancisco) to Bayonne, New Jersey (just across the Hudson from New York City).

Since the Mondial has no speedometer nor odometer I have to estimate the distance as just a few miles short of 3,000 miles. This is not the place to tell about the blizzard I encountered crossing the continental divide at 7,263 feet elevation in New Mexico or other tales of that road trip.

To my knowledge no other Lampredi four ever made that trip.

The photo was taken a couple of weeks before starting the trip.

Best regards,

Robert
Attached Images

San Remo likes this.

Robert

Past & Present: 500 Mondial S2 0556(0446)/MD since June 1960
post #13 of 76 Old 03-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,291
Best ride? Easy: the last one.

Seriously, the first ride through Maranello and past the factory gate will stay with me the rest of my life.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #14 of 76 Old 04-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
the drive home when I bought it...
wait maybe every drive since then...
post #15 of 76 Old 04-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish16M View Post
Boxer/Jeroen, it truly was a magical day for a run that just got better & better as the day rolled on, you guys certainly enjoyed Scotland at her very best that week for sure!

I'm currently travelling through France and despite my previous predudice to the original California, this new 30 model is one hellova Grand Tourer as we've effortlessly driven over 1,000 miles into our journey in the last 3 days and neither myself nor my wife has so much as an ache. Roll on tomorrow and the final 350 mile leg to Cannes, as the brilliant drivers road the Route Napoleon beckons
It was great, Peter, massively enjoyed that road up to Inverness!
Have a good trip, hope to see you down there this summer.

Jeroen

Italian bella's:

post #16 of 76 Old 04-01-2013, 03:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
The Scotland FLED, my living!!

It was my first long drive in the Dino. I hooked up with my good mate 212 in Fribourg and we drove up through France, 365 GTB and Dino gliding in majestic formation. First day ending at a nice Relais & Chateau with the great kitchen sending us a full scale attack. The cars had been put through a wide mixture of roads throughout the day in preparation of what was awaiting us in Scotland. We both concluded that the cars were totally trouble free and happily green-lighted them for the following day.

The rallying up of all the participants (except the Scotsmen) and their rides at my good man Boxer's house, what an absolutely magic moment! Boxer's friendly and generous reception was the perfect environment to share our expectations and build up some proper right foot gravity for the grand tour awaiting us. Whilst sipping on our aperitivos in Boxer's fabulous patio, the Ferraris were gently cooling in the beginning night, ticking and clicking as the thermal tensions of their exotic metals settled. This was where I found my twin brother David and my big brother Jimmy, a 44 year long wait worth the wile.

Next day's driving through my Viking ancestor's archipelago and watching our multi-gem neckless of Ferraris snaking gracefully through the hills and crossing the border into Scotland, the country where I was made. That was a sight worth seeing for all bystanders and unforgettable for us protagonists!

From there on each day was like flipping into the next gear, everything getting better and better. We got to know fabulous and energetic Peter and his Scottish mates, bless you and your right feet! The flow of the driving was Nirvana thanks to Boxer's speedy spearheading. I don't believe many old timer Michelins have seen that much action off track in many many years!

The harmony at Aldourie Castle, the drives, the donuts on the castle's gravel drive way, our aperitivos after a hectic day's drive, the rejoice around the huge dinner table and the long digestivo sessions. It all perfectly summed up what was going on. What went on during those days my very dear friends, was Grand Touring!

It inspired me to continue the tour including one more lap around Scotland, the Northern Pyrenees, the Cordero Route Mountains, the Southern Pyrinees, Alpes Maritimes and returning through the Western Alpes. I put a little more than 10.000 clicks on the clock and I had not a single issue with the Dino a part from burning the original starboard radiator fan motor.

Thanks to all for your company, thanks Jeroen for the cool FLED shirts and thanks to Boxer for setting it afloat!

Long live Grand Touring!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #17 of 76 Old 04-01-2013, 03:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Johan, thank you for saying what was on my mind !

Your Dino was simply magnificent ! And I still cannot believe that you kept on going after that !!! Great, great spirit of yours ! My deep bow and admiration for that.

One thing you forgot to mention maybe was the spectacular weather we had all the way thru.

And here I was, first time ever in the UK, expecting wet and more wet and cold weather ! Very disappointed .....

Johan, a big thank you once again for your generosity and friendship. Salute !

w/ smiles

Jimmy

Last edited by Italian Lover; 04-01-2013 at 03:36 AM. Reason: spelling correction
post #18 of 76 Old 04-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550JM View Post
It was great, Peter, massively enjoyed that road up to Inverness!
Have a good trip, hope to see you down there this summer.
Thanks Jeroen, after some 1,400 miles of majestical cruising we are now at South of Fance so whenever you're ready for a visit come down, just call or email me your estimated arrival time & I'll look forward to seeing you and also to buying you a dram and a few beers!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider

Last edited by Scottish16M; 04-01-2013 at 10:31 AM.
post #19 of 76 Old 04-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post

It was my first long drive in the Dino. I hooked up with my good mate 212 in Fribourg and we drove up through France, 365 GTB and Dino gliding in majestic formation. First day ending at a nice Relais & Chateau with the great kitchen sending us a full scale attack. The cars had been put through a wide mixture of roads throughout the day in preparation of what was awaiting us in Scotland. We both concluded that the cars were totally trouble free and happily green-lighted them for the following day.

The rallying up of all the participants (except the Scotsmen) and their rides at my good man Boxer's house, what an absolutely magic moment! Boxer's friendly and generous reception was the perfect environment to share our expectations and build up some proper right foot gravity for the grand tour awaiting us. Whilst sipping on our aperitivos in Boxer's fabulous patio, the Ferraris were gently cooling in the beginning night, ticking and clicking as the thermal tensions of their exotic metals settled. This was where I found my twin brother David and my big brother Jimmy, a 44 year long wait worth the wile.

Next day's driving through my Viking ancestor's archipelago and watching our multi-gem neckless of Ferraris snaking gracefully through the hills and crossing the border into Scotland, the country where I was made. That was a sight worth seeing for all bystanders and unforgettable for us protagonists!

From there on each day was like flipping into the next gear, everything getting better and better. We got to know fabulous and energetic Peter and his Scottish mates, bless you and your right feet! The flow of the driving was Nirvana thanks to Boxer's speedy spearheading. I don't believe many old timer Michelins have seen that much action off track in many many years!

The harmony at Aldourie Castle, the drives, the donuts on the castle's gravel drive way, our aperitivos after a hectic day's drive, the rejoice around the huge dinner table and the long digestivo sessions. It all perfectly summed up what was going on. What went on during those days my very dear friends, was Grand Touring!

It inspired me to continue the tour including one more lap around Scotland, the Northern Pyrenees, the Cordero Route Mountains, the Southern Pyrinees, Alpes Maritimes and returning through the Western Alpes. I put a little more than 10.000 clicks on the clock and I had not a single issue with the Dino a part from burning the original starboard radiator fan motor.

Thanks to all for your company, thanks Jeroen for the cool FLED shirts and thanks to Boxer for setting it afloat!

Long live Grand Touring!

Very well said Capo and even although us Scots were only with you guys for a day, it was easily one of the best days convoy driving we have enjoyed in our homeland and to meet fellow Ferrari enthusiasts from around the globe was pretty special and will certainly stay with me for many a year to come, it was a magical drive and I hope to see you all again soon, until then drive safe!

Johan and Jeroen, I look forward to seeing you both again in the South of France over the coming months, just email or call to advise your arrival time and I'll have the beers chilled awaiting you getting here!

Last edited by Scottish16M; 04-01-2013 at 10:29 AM.
post #20 of 76 Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post

Long live Grand Touring!
This is high quality poetry, Capo! I think none of us could have said it in a better way. You should (and can) write a book, my friend!

Jeroen

Italian bella's: