Best Drive in a Ferrari? - Page 4 - Ferrari Life
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 76 Old 11-10-2014, 09:32 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Ferrari Dealer

Hi. Does anyone know or have experience with San Francisco Motorsports? They have a few cars I'm interested in. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 11-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
Hi. Does anyone know or have experience with San Francisco Motorsports? They have a few cars I'm interested in. Thanks.

I would recommend SFMS in San Rafael anytime. The guys were first hired by Ferrari SPa, San Francisco Ferrari, when the Factory owned that dealership.

They do very reliable work and stand behind it not to mention their posted prices, like say for majors etc. are very very decent if not low IMO.

I have had two different Ferraris serviced by them. Tell John or Evan, Hi from Rik Granucci when/if you see them.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #63 of 76 Old 12-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 49
Kind of like the Admiral on page one of this thread, mine involves a X-country trip. Back in the 80's I bought a GTC in Savannah. While driving home to Calif. I was on Hiway 50 in Eastern Nevada. I stopped for gas at about 6AM, (I was having vapor locking problems & had to drive at night.) Anyway, I asked about Hiway Patrol & was told that "Harry" was off that day, and that the next 100+ miles were unpatrolled. I literally blew the windows out of the car at an indicated 150. That was a bit scary; the frames were so light that they bent out because of the low pressure. It wasn't a real problem because they reseated when the speed dropped, and then I just lowered the windows and pressed on.

post #64 of 76 Old 03-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
the drive home when I bought it...
wait maybe every drive since then...

You beat me to it.
post #65 of 76 Old 07-13-2015, 02:00 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
My most memorable Drive in the Ferrari California

I'll never forget my grand tour of Route des Grandes Alpes. A mountainous stretch through the Alpine chain of France, Italy and Switzerland. I took this grand tour with my girlfriend at the time, quite the poet, she said it was "a journey of luxury on the open road".

Driving the Ferrari California, I starting out in Geneva. The Ferrari made a wonderful and enigmatic travelling partner. Like a charismatic and charming friend, we flew down the highway in jovial spirits.

En route, I past by the Les Trois Vallees, known for its world class resorts and intimidatingly expensive ski chalets. Deciding, you only live once, we spent the night at an exclusive resort in Courchevel 1850.

Driving the California was definite motivation to get up and out early the next morning. Passing the day through Italy and the quaint villages of Oulx and Bardonecchia, the California supercar convertible was elegant, sporty and light. I remember we spent that night in the 17th century township of Briancon.

The town of Sospel, was a real treat. Well known between motorists for the wonderful scenic sights, twisty turns and tight curves in the road. I must say, the twists in the road were thoroughly enjoyed in the Ferrari!

After two weeks on the road we finally reached our destination at menton where we spent the weekend swimming in the Mediterranean Sea.

While the girlfriend didn't last , memories this good stay with you forever!
post #66 of 76 Old 07-13-2015, 04:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Welcome Joe. A drive in between the mountain peaks of Europe is always great. Why do you call yourself 458guy? Did you swap the Cali for a 458?

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #67 of 76 Old 07-15-2015, 12:25 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Good point Onno, my preference generally goes to the 458 for a few reasons,

a) The 458 is built on Ferrari's F1 racing technology. It's a supercar, that if not anything else, it delivers on speed, nothing is mundane and practical about the 458, it gives me that slice of feeling like an F1 legend.
b) Generally a faster and more powerful car than the California (its a difference of 46bhp, but you can feel it) it has that additional edge of excitement and status.
c) I like the look of it that little bit more, I think its design is a bit more futuristic and racier which I like.

That time I took the scenic route through the Route des Grandes Alpes, I organised to rent a Ferrari at the last minute but it was in the middle of peak season and it was a challenge to get the 458 . The closest I came to getting to what I wanted was through Europe Luxury Car Hire, (who I would recommend), and they were able to supply me with a California. At the time, I thought I was compromising by taking the Cali. In the end though, I think it was a better fit for the occasion. Because of the steep hills, downward slopes and switchback turns, the route is not a racing track, you can't travel at maximum speeds. It was really much more about enjoying the ride, which I think the California is better for.
post #68 of 76 Old 07-15-2015, 03:50 AM
Owner

I have to - politely - disagree with your views on the 458, Joe. I've been on the road in it for more than 3 weeks with two people. It is as practical as a California, with a big boot and some space behind the seats.

And it is not a supercar in my opinion, it is a very fast GT with the engine in the back. It has a very comfortable ride and very comfortable seats and is in fact a better GT than my 550 Maranello with much less noise.

The only real issue with the 458 as a GT is the gearing - when travelling on the autobahn for 1000kms I wish it had an overdrive.

This is the amazing thing about the 458, it can act like a hooligan but also like a sedate GT. The only difference is the position of the manettino. I love that Jekyll and Hyde character of my car.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

330GTC
post #69 of 76 Old 07-20-2015, 10:40 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
The best has to be the Ferrari F430 GT Racecar at Las Vegas Motor Speedway
post #70 of 76 Old 07-21-2015, 12:12 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticRunUSA View Post
That sounds pretty darn awesome!

Onno

330GTC
post #71 of 76 Old 08-20-2015, 05:00 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Hi,
you have a not any best driver for ferrari don't worry helpforcomfort.com is good agency to help you hire a best drivers for you....
post #72 of 76 Old 08-20-2015, 06:31 AM
Owner

Nice try.

Onno

330GTC
post #73 of 76 Old 05-07-2016, 11:09 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
Best drive or driving?

Drive is easy. Not only in a Ferrari it was the best time driving. I was somewhat spoiled. My Dad had a private plane and hangar space at an local airport. The airport was very large, former WWII training base. I wasn't really into flying that much. To get me out of the house and at the airport, my Dad bribed me. I could drive around the airport while he was off flying around. He did this because whenever he came back, the plane got cleaned. We also did mini vacations frequently. On those trips, my Dad had no problem with me playing with a rental car in the hotel parking lot. I should mention, was only 13 and no license!

Being a Magnum PI fan, being a car nut, I wanted my Dad to buy a Ferrari. It wasn't out of the question, he drove a new 928, mother had a new Jag, both near $80k new, 308 was around $75k then. So one spring break in 1985, family headed off to Maui. My Dad was warming up to the idea of a Ferrari. He saw an exotic car rental agency. Snuck off and rented a 308. Surprisingly his letting me play with rental cars extended to the Ferrari. Even more crazy, we found out the driving age in Hawaii was 14. So could go off the hotel property. So my older brother, 15 at the time and I took turns driving all over Maui. It was a blast.

Like most 928's, my Dads was automatic. All the other rental cars also automatic. I had to teach myself how to do drive manual. Biggest reason, never buy a former rental car!
post #74 of 76 Old 07-10-2016, 09:08 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticRunUSA View Post
nice one..

post #75 of 76 Old 03-14-2018, 11:36 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
Crossing the alpes last summer with a group of enthusiasts, the pictures stand for themselves.
I met the group in St Moritz/Switzerland and driving all the way through Germany and Switzerland alone in my "Yellow wonder" with great music coming out of my "Fuchs" mufflers and real music from the old cd player was the highlight.

Greatings from the old world
Ulrich
Attached Images

post #76 of 76 Old 03-16-2018, 06:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,003
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
Not counting my times on a race track, I would have to say my most memorable drive was in the spring of 1963. That was back in the days of no major interconnecting interstate highways. Route 66 in the West was just a two lane road. The trip was from Oakland, California (just across the bay from SanFrancisco) to Bayonne, New Jersey (just across the Hudson from New York City).

Since the Mondial has no speedometer nor odometer I have to estimate the distance as just a few miles short of 3,000 miles. This is not the place to tell about the blizzard I encountered crossing the continental divide at 7,263 feet elevation in New Mexico or other tales of that road trip.

To my knowledge no other Lampredi four ever made that trip.

The photo was taken a couple of weeks before starting the trip.

Best regards,

Robert
Okay, Lieutenant, were you wearing that get-up for this drive? ;-)

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris