LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 76 Old 07-23-2013, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by old racer View Post
Back in the day I was a SCCA racer in F2000 and decided to take my just purchased Ferrari GTS 328 to Waterford Race track in Michigan for an Italian Happening Event. Had a great time running the track. Naturally, my best friend and good racer came along for support. Being the stand up guy that I was I said take a spin. Well, he sure did. After many hard driven laps he lost it re-entering the home stretch and started to spin & spin. He missed the guard rail, by inches and crossed the finish line exactly backwards for a great lap time! The track photographer got a great picture of my Ferrari correctly crossing exactly over the finish line in reverse. The only hint of this trauma is the very long skid marks and smoke in reverse. Later, when he stopped shaking I asked Larry what he would have done if he clipped the guardrail? He answered.....rather than have to sell my house to repair your car David, the car would have been torched in downtown Detroit. Just another day at the track!
Ah, the plot thickens. After being lovingly covered to avoid the Michigan Winter it was finally Spring and a wedding was planned in Grand Rapids. Perfect for a nice Ferrari drive. Tuxedo, insurance and top removed the drive was memorable....but not as one might perceive. About a mile from the church while I was proceeding through a green light my "red love" was t-boned by a 21 year old stripper running the light at speed. The Ferrari came to rest after spinning and damaging all four corners. Got to say, sure drew a crowd. Half with sympathy and half with envy or jealousy. As this occurred just after Mr. Ferrari died, car prices were spiking and my insurance company elected to repair the car. Later I found out it was the most expensive one car payout my it at the time. So the car was shipped to the east coast and finally back to the factory. After visions of it being used by the shop sweeper for lunch duty I got it back some 18 months later. Everything was replaced. The car was dismantled to the frame and completely restored. Way to go Ferrari! As luck would have it the car was drop shipped to my door one week before the August Ferrari Concourse at the Ford Estate in Dearborn, Michigan. No track time this year. Learned that lesson, but the show entry was a must. Took first prize and the judges could not understand how a car, street driven, with miles could be so well maintained. Not even a stone chip or road dirt near the engine. My response was...actually the car was hardly driven over the past year & a half!!!!
Follow-up, eventually racing took over my passions and the car was purchased by the Architect of the Smithsonian. Wonder if he enjoys and loves that car as I did and still owns it?
Fantastic story and welcome to FerrariLife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 76 Old 07-23-2013, 07:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by old racer View Post
and the car was purchased by the Architect of the Smithsonian.
James Renwick Jr, 1818 - 1895. I think your memory played a trick, must've been somebody else.

Great story though!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #43 of 76 Old 08-15-2013, 08:05 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 76
Garage
First ride was in a black Mondial T in the southern part of Johannesburg South Africa, along the R59 towards Vereeniging. It was mind blasting for me at the time!

Most memorable will have to be my first drive home from the dealership. I was on my own in a car that I have loved for many years. I spent over 1 hour just sitting in the car on the showroom before I started her up. The smell of the interior, and comfort of the seats just made it a magic moment.

post #44 of 76 Old 08-24-2013, 08:39 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
My best drive in a Ferrari was the day I picked up my car in North Carolina and drove it home to Texas.

Prior to climbing into the 328 GTB I had never even sat in a Ferrari, though I had wanted one for 59 years.

The drive home was fabulous - even though I was in an "elephants and hippos" downpour within 15 minutes of leaving the dealership. The car kept a grin on my face - that hasn't yet stopped - the entire 1,000+ miles home.
post #45 of 76 Old 09-08-2013, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My best drive in a Ferrari was the day I picked up my car in North Carolina and drove it home to Texas.

Prior to climbing into the 328 GTB I had never even sat in a Ferrari, though I had wanted one for 59 years.

The drive home was fabulous - even though I was in an "elephants and hippos" downpour within 15 minutes of leaving the dealership. The car kept a grin on my face - that hasn't yet stopped - the entire 1,000+ miles home.
Did something similar when I picked up my F40. Great way to get to know a new Ferrari quickly.
post #46 of 76 Old 09-17-2013, 08:28 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 68
I have not had a best drive in a Ferrari exactly. However, the best drive was when I and some mates went on a long distance drive. Basically Palm Springs to OC, 85% of our trip was thru mountian roads. Besides, hitting a bit of traffic thru the Cleveland National forest and having groups of motorcycles dragging knee into our lane which " was kinda game-ish " and we had met up with other guys Corvettes, Porsches, so on RX7's we all ended up having coffee and basically did 50% of the mountian drive home. 12 hours of mountian driving.

New Years was pretty interesting some years ago, a buddy and I decided to jet home to Northern CA, we took cars instead and we left some 7 hours before midnight. Well we spent NewYears on the highway 5 playing radio Karaoke. We used two ways to sing one part of a song while the other would sing the other half.

Now a days we schmob around on vintage racing bikes to Starbucks and move like sloths. ^___^

You lift, I accelerate.
post #47 of 76 Old 10-15-2013, 05:49 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
rented 458 in Sin City

The weekend after this past Labor Day, a group of family and friends went to Lost Wages for.a birthday. While there, my wife (God bless her) suggested I look into renting a Ferrari.

The next morning I'm at Vegas Luxury Rides (great service,btw) picking up a black 458 coupe for the next six hours. I immediately set out for the North Shore of Lake Mead, where much illegal driving activity ensued. At one point I hit 160mph in sixth gear, and much of the drive was at triple digit speeds.

My lust for the Prancing Horse has been dormant the past five years as I started a family. But because of that rental, I now own my first car from Maranello. It's not a 458 (360 Modena), but it fills me with a sense of pride unlike anything I've owned prior, and is no less enjoyable to drive.
post #48 of 76 Old 02-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
The first was the best

The day I drove my first Ferrari was the best drive ever.

I became an owner that day. I had spent the last 17 years fascinated with the Ferrari F 355, ever since my 1st day on the job as a valet. I saw one for the first time and it blew my mind.

Ever since I dreamed of the car (literally, dreams of driving one, waking up bummed out it was only a dream, multiple times). I collected die-cast models, went to a 355 Challenge race, and it made my day when I saw one on the road. I read every article on them...talked peoples ears off about it when cars were the topic...

I had gotten rides in 3 different 355's. two were F1, both TDF blue. The other a Blu Chiaro Berlinetta...One was on the track at Limerock. (WOW!) Another time in 1999 I chased down a fellow driving a 355F1 in traffic whilst riding my sport-bike. I caught up to him, complimented him on his car at a red light, and he offered me a ride to my shock. I said yes of course. I already knew where the hidden doorhandle was and he was surprised when I opened the door without saying what every new passenger says: "Ummm, ok, so where is the doorhandle, how do I get into this thing?!" I looked him up a year ago. He helped me through the buying process...we chat often. (Thanks Jeff) We plan to meet up in the Spring and compare cars to bring it all full circle. His recently threw a code for a bad shock-actuator.

So I found my car online. Flew out to Cleveland from NJ. I bought it after a test drive. Sat in the car until the wire transfer went through.....sitting there....staring at the interior. "Wow. I cant believe this day is here. " Off I went.

500 miles of pure bliss. Daytime, nightime, terrible fog for the last 200 miles. The feelings that I went through....amazing. Hitting that super long set of tunnels on the PA turnpike....amazing. Rolling the throttle on and off, downshifting for fun just to hear the RPM range talk to me, matching revs. I still remember feeling like I was in a dream again...but this time it was real. And it was mine. And it was blue. And it was a screaming deal, and it has super-low miles, a new clutch, a full tank and a new owner who can't believe any of it...

Friends were constantly checking in and monitoring my drive home..."Where are you now? "
I had the weather plotted for every town, every 100 miles. I was outrunning rain...but hit terrible fog...HORRENDOUS. Talk about white knuckles. I was wide-eyed. Scared. Very nervous. I couldn't see more than 25 yards. Scary.

To have my first drive (testdrive not included) ..and put 500 miles on her the first day I owned her....sort of like going on a week-long date with a supermodel; she subsequently becomes your high maintenence wife....and you wouldn't trade her for anyone.
Now she is in the spa, uh, I meant Ferrari of Long Island...new belts, new exhaust, headers look fine, leak-down test was good, has a new clutch and battery, master cylinder, resprayed front bumper (thanks previous owner...$5200 service receipts) Just waiting for Nouvalari to ship my Sport Exhaust...and waiting for this snow to go away.

I loved snow for 38 years. Now...not so much.
post #49 of 76 Old 02-10-2014, 12:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
One, big congratulations on your purchase and fulfilling your dream.

Great first report, and more to follow, I am sure.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #50 of 76 Old 02-10-2014, 12:47 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 60
For me all drives in every Ferrari is special. But the best one was in a friend of mine Scud.... absolutely amazing machine perfect in every way.
post #51 of 76 Old 02-10-2014, 01:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready321now View Post
The day I drove my first Ferrari was the best drive ever....
Love to hear stories such as this. Reminds me of the day I picked up the 360 and 308 - both requiring long haul journeys home. Also reminds me of the emotional aspect of bonding with a lump of metal, can only be understood by those with the 'illness' - which you evidently have!

Enjoy your new toy!

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #52 of 76 Old 02-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Love to hear stories such as this. Reminds me of the day I picked up the 360 and 308 - both requiring long haul journeys home. Also reminds me of the emotional aspect of bonding with a lump of metal, can only be understood by those with the 'illness' - which you evidently have!

Enjoy your new toy!
Thanks Jimmy and Barry. The funny thing is that I care so much about the car, I only had it for 5 days, before I put her in the shop... and she has been gone for 20 days, getting things sorted properly before I put any real miles on her. Just waiting for my exhaust. She will come home with a new voice...
post #53 of 76 Old 02-18-2014, 07:19 PM
jtk

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
In the foothills of the Alberta Rocky Mountains near Millarville/ Black Diamond in winter with changing road conditions and a stunning 2014 California. Planning a trip through the mountains into the Okanagan Valley in May. That should be spectacular and will likely supercede this.
post #54 of 76 Old 04-29-2014, 10:58 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 94
Best Drive in a Ferrari?

For me it was driving my 550 round the streets of Monaco very slowly. I couldn't quite believe that from the moment we left Calais, until the moment we got back to Calais we didn't see another Ferrari on the road. We travelled through Reims, Lyon, Orange, Monaco, Bologna, Modena, Maranello, Milan, Lake Como, Switzerland & Strasbourg....... And apart from a couple parked up in Monaco, not a single Fezza. It made the trip quite special as everyone wanted to look at the 550, and in Monaco they went mad for it.

I found Monaco very magical, there's something addictive about it, and pootling around taking it in was amazing. The sound of your motor bouncing off the Armco at every corner, the perfect black Tarmac allowing your tyres to squeal even at 10mph :-)

Attached Images

Last edited by DarkShines; 04-29-2014 at 11:07 PM.
post #55 of 76 Old 04-30-2014, 03:05 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 550
Very nice!
post #56 of 76 Old 04-30-2014, 10:39 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
My favorite drive took place at a complete stop.

I live in the N. Georgia Mountains which is sports car heaven and so I can not even pick a particular drive. WAY to many to count. However, I use my little Prugna 3.2 Mondial as a daily driver and needed something from an automobile parts shop. This is one of those local places with only one employee. The owner. And only enough parking for two or three vehicles.

I went up to the counter after the other customer left. Then the other guy came back in with the biggest grin I have ever seen. He nearly shouted "There's a FERRARI Out Front!" Everyone had a good time about that. Its one thing I like about the Ferrari compared to other brands. Nobody around here considers it to be a status/snobby car. Just a real curiosity. Guys in Pickup Trucks strike up conversations.
post #57 of 76 Old 05-16-2014, 10:42 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
I can only believe that it will be a drive past the gates of Maranello in a 512bb, 430 or F12. ncng
post #58 of 76 Old 08-15-2014, 10:00 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
only one drive so far in the treasure valley of idaho (boise and meridian areas) in a 308gt4 I was looking at buying found ourselves a nice twisty road man the handling and engine note managed 130 before backing off at one point and this was the guys other ferrari!
post #59 of 76 Old 11-08-2014, 06:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 18
Florida Keys morroso

FL keys off season... 7 mile bridge down to key west, top down, happy car, flat out in some spots. the best sensory inputs drilling into me all at once. F- track events...
Attached Images

post #60 of 76 Old 11-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Amazing. I love the 333SP, wish wish wish I had driven one. Great pic and thanks for sharing.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode