Dino 246 - nearing 500k! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Dino 246 - nearing 500k!

I just received this Dino for sale from the dealer and granted it's a chairs n flares but if this is the market one would imagine a lot would be coming out of the woodwork for sale.

Congrats to the owners who held onto them over the years.

1974 Ferrari 246 Dino GTS for Sale - 1313213 - duPontREGISTRY.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,871
Doug- That one has the extra Cavallino on the front, usually they are on the rear with a big Ferrari script back there, too.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 42 Old 01-09-2013, 05:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 106
As far as I know Dino should not have any cavallino or Ferrari badge anywhere. But many owners put it during time... It was supposed to be a Dino, not a Ferrari.
Anyway that is the smallest problem, it's easy to remove badges.
The price is, in my opinion. just crazy.

"Engines are like women: you have to know how to touch them in the most sensitive parts."

post #4 of 42 Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
When Dino prices are higher than Daytona prices, things are really out of whack.
post #5 of 42 Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
When Dino prices are higher than Daytona prices, things are really out of whack.
But somehow I can fully understand now that I've seen the light...

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #6 of 42 Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
All that is relative....it may could give a clue where Daytona prices could potentially go to....(read Sheehans lastest comment)..... Or the relative value of a sexy Dino to a BB. Queen Mary etc.
As a trader i would short 2 dinos and buy 1 Daytona, 1 365 BB, 1 308 GTB, 1 365 GTC/4, 1 365 Gt 2+2 plus a 550/575........!!
Or short 2 dinos and buy a Daytona and a F40......
Or a F 50 and a Daytona.....

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #7 of 42 Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
After more research it turns out a billionaire at an auction spent 475k for a Dino.

Some can say it isn't a normal sale but he had to have bidders going against him to get to that level.

Dino's seem to be the sweetheart of Ferrari right now.

The more these Ferrari's rise in price it makes me wonder if they are going to be preserved vs driven.
post #8 of 42 Old 01-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 655
Comparisons with the previous rise in values of 20 + years ago are invalid IMHO as these cars are now nearly all 40 years old and have moved into genuine classic status so long term values should remain steady. An increasing number of cars are now being properly restored with many going back into their original colour schemes and this will further help maintain values as the number of poorly maintained or presented cars starts to dwindle. As the first production mid-engined model in Ferrari's line up it has a special place in the company's history and the Pininfarina styling has aged extremely well. It is amazing how much positive interest they generate on the road. The Dino is a lovely car to drive if you have the suspension refreshed with new or refurbished shocks, new springs and bushes etc.

Current: F50, 246 GT (x 2), 246 GTS
Past: 360M, F430 spider, 430 Scuderia,
California (x 2), 458 Italia (x 2), 458 spider, 246 GT
post #9 of 42 Old 01-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by iainuk View Post
Comparisons with the previous rise in values of 20 + years ago are invalid IMHO as these cars are now nearly all 40 years old and have moved into genuine classic status so long term values should remain steady. An increasing number of cars are now being properly restored with many going back into their original colour schemes and this will further help maintain values as the number of poorly maintained or presented cars starts to dwindle. As the first production mid-engined model in Ferrari's line up it has a special place in the company's history and the Pininfarina styling has aged extremely well. It is amazing how much positive interest they generate on the road. The Dino is a lovely car to drive if you have the suspension refreshed with new or refurbished shocks, new springs and bushes etc.
+1.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #10 of 42 Old 01-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 106
Quote:
Anyway half a million is really a crazy price to me. Come to Italy and buy one for 100k €, and if it's not perfect you still have at least 300k to make it gold plated and export it wherever you want... For that price I would go for an F40... Yes is a different car but I mean as purely collectible is much rarer and a legend as well... Then, of course, anybody is free to spend his money as he prefer. Just I think that there is some speculation or strange trend around the Dino I cannot fully understand.

"Engines are like women: you have to know how to touch them in the most sensitive parts."

Last edited by Sw4n; 01-09-2013 at 04:52 PM.
post #11 of 42 Old 01-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
+1.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
++

Shocks, springs, bushings and steering to be kept 100% always!

I really love the Dino, after 40 years it's still impressive. It's a masterpiece.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #12 of 42 Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
i have it on good authority that a recent dino transaction did in fact cross the $500k line.
post #13 of 42 Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Funny, at the moment I have feelings of an excited idiot. Wife and I love the Dino and I quickly shared, "check it out someone's nearing 500k, can't wait for this thread with some serious drive and rebuild stories..." then of course realizing it's not 500k flipping the speedo a 5th time but a listing price. Anyone by chance have 500k mileage to save me in a reply post?!
post #14 of 42 Old 01-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNart View Post
Funny, at the moment I have feelings of an excited idiot. Wife and I love the Dino and I quickly shared, "check it out someone's nearing 500k, can't wait for this thread with some serious drive and rebuild stories..." then of course realizing it's not 500k flipping the speedo a 5th time but a listing price. Anyone by chance have 500k mileage to save me in a reply post?!
ahhh yes...that is funny.

john corbani may have gotten closest to that number. a real gentleman, he drove his dino until the pain was too great to enjoy the drive. i still think about what a credit to the model he was and will remain.

pcb
post #15 of 42 Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Owner

The Dino is a great, nimble car and most of all a wonderful beholder of fine designer lines. And yes after all the market is the market.

Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #16 of 42 Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Comparisons with the previous rise in values of 20 + years ago are invalid IMHO as these cars are now nearly all 40 years old and have moved into genuine classic status so long term values should remain steady. .
As the Hunt Brothers of the Dino world, I would have expected a even more bullish position.
post #17 of 42 Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 AM
Owner

Quote:
As the Hunt Brothers of the Dino world, I would have expected a even more bullish position.
+ 1! Ian is long 3 Dino's so I have to recalculate my opposing position . Anyway I agree to your position Ian, but would like to mention that all 250's 330's and 365's have had the 40 anniversary as well....

post #18 of 42 Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
$500k doesn't make sense to me, it has to be said. And it is not so much the absolute price point, as the relation to other Ferraris that gets me. GTC's are struggling to get that money and I would have a Colombo V12 over a Dino V6 any day of the week. You also have to factor in build numbers, and then the Dino's pricing does make even less sense.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #19 of 42 Old 01-10-2013, 02:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraripete View Post
ahhh yes...that is funny.

john corbani may have gotten closest to that number. a real gentleman, he drove his dino until the pain was too great to enjoy the drive. i still think about what a credit to the model he was and will remain.

pcb
+1. Yes, in remembrance of Mr. John Corbani and his cherished Dino. What an individual ! There was so much giving on his part.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #20 of 42 Old 01-10-2013, 04:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 655
Since when was there any logic to the values of classic cars

The Dino generally appeals to a different buyer than the older V12 GT cars. It is small, nimble, light and the first "recognisable" Ferrari to a whole new generation of buyers who have grown up identifying mid engined models as their dream cars and who are not yet ready for the old style charms of the larger touring V12 models. Many of these buyers have owned modern mid engined exotics but crave the simplicity and delicacy that a car like the Dino provides. It isn't fast but it is certainly rewarding to drive at more sensible speeds than the latest cars and needs more driver involvement to get the best out of it as it lacks any sort of driver aids and has no power steering. It's only real concession to modernity is all round disc brakes yet it still feels much more contemporary to drive than it's V12 peers of the same era due to it's layout and weight. It is also much less costly to run and maintain than the V12 cars.

In spite of views on production numbers these are still relatively rare cars in a world where there are increasingly far more people with the wealth to afford them. There are never huge numbers on the market for sale at any one time so prices will remain resilient IMHO. As prices of the 246 starts to climb out of reach for many would be buyers, early 308's are going to start to rise in value as they become the next car to tip over into classic status. The same problem that beset the 246 for so long - many tired examples requiring expensive restorations - will start to diminish as values rise and restorations once again become viable.

I'm guessing from the comments of other 246 owners on this thread that they have little intention of parting with their cars anytime soon as they are such good fun to drive and that is a common sentiment shared by other owners on various forums.

Current: F50, 246 GT (x 2), 246 GTS
Past: 360M, F430 spider, 430 Scuderia,
California (x 2), 458 Italia (x 2), 458 spider, 246 GT

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode