Scuderia vs 16M - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 Old 03-10-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Scuderia vs 16M

I have perused just about every article available on the net.

Knowing there are extremely knowledgeable people here it would be appreciated to share it in this thread.

Here is an article that reaffirmed my search - prior I thought the Scud and the 16M shared all the same components other than the necessary Spider modifications.

The exhaust / engine / shifting have been noted but not with great authority.

Ferrari Scuderia Spider 16M review - Autocar.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 03-10-2012, 06:29 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 470
I don't really have much to contribute to this thread,but after reading this I'm really looking forward to your car's arrival..

Porsche owner, aka "fat cab"
post #3 of 76 Old 03-10-2012, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
I don't really have much to contribute to this thread,but after reading this I'm really looking forward to your car's arrival..
Thanks Tim - me too

post #4 of 76 Old 03-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Doug- If it really had 473 lb-ft of torque, it would really be something, but 473 Nm of torque is not bad, even though the OM says 470.

You really cannot believe everything it says in the popular press. According to the owners manuals (which may or may not be accurate), the compression ratio on the Scud and 16M is exactly the same, 11.88:1 for the Scud, and 11.9 (rounded off from 11.88, but could be interpretted as higher compression by a journalist) for the 16M. HP and torque are quoted as exactly the same and performance numbers are the same. Curb weight for the Scud is quoted as 1350 kg and 1470 kg for the 16M. That means the performance figures for the 16M are probably not accurate or, more likely, they never bothered to retest for the small run of cars.

The Scud springs are made of titanium, too, so it sounds like the article is actually comparing the 16M to an F430 Spider.

That encompasses about 90 seconds of research, so you might want to do some fact checking because most of what is stated in that article is suspect for a Scud vs 16M comparison, but appropriate for a 16M vs F430 Spider comparison.

If you do not already have them, the OMs are both available at ferraridatabase.com.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 76 Old 03-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Schnellmann

Ferrari Life Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
I have perused just about every article available on the net.

Knowing there are extremely knowledgeable people here it would be appreciated to share it in this thread.

Here is an article that reaffirmed my search - prior I thought the Scud and the 16M shared all the same components other than the necessary Spider modifications.

The exhaust / engine / shifting have been noted but not with great authority.

Ferrari Scuderia Spider 16M review - Autocar.co.uk

You may have seen it already, but if not I think there is a good 16m article on Evo. Wish I could work out how to post links with this iPad...anyway, if you go to Evo.co.uk and search for 16m you should find it.

post #6 of 76 Old 03-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Here is the EVO article:

Ferrari 430 Scuderia 16M | Car review | evo

Ferrari 430 Scuderia 16M
Rating:
Ferrari removes the roof from the Scuderia, all the better to enjoy its V8 soundtrack...

Text: Ollie Marriage / Photos: Chris RutterJuly 2009

It's the noise thatís the killer, shockwaves of unstoppable sound flooding in from behind

Donít ask me what itís like with the roof up. I have no idea. In fact I can barely tell you what itís like with the side windows raised. All I can tell you is that the black canvas disappeared very neatly into a small space aft of the air deflector when we lowered it outside the famous brick archway in Maranello at 9 oíclock this morning, and unfurled itself with equal decorum in the same spot nine hours later.

Driving the Scuderia Spider 16M with the lid in place is not the done thing. Especially when youíre in the hills around Maranello and youíre conducting a fabulously orchestral V8 thatís intent on giving a command performance.

Such music defines Maranello Ė you canít escape it. Chris Rutter and I had sat outside our hotel the previous evening, beer in hand, watching the thin clouds slide gently past and had our conversation punctuated frequently by a penetrating zap of revs, sometimes close, sometimes far away, signalling the passage of another prancing horse.

And now itís our turn. Roof and camera gear are safely stowed, a few minutesí familiarisation has reduced the intimidation factor of the barebones cockpit, a yelp of angry revs has signalled the engineís first contribution and now weíre nosing left out of the gates.

So far, so good, and encouragingly easy. The Scuderia is not a particularly demanding car to drive. Leave the gearbox to juggle the clutch and shuffle the deck of cogs itself (something it does with real dexterity) and all you need to worry about is where youíre headed Ė south west for us.

Even with less than a couple of miles covered, Iím picking up on the carís effortless athleticism and precision Ė a reassurance, even here, that the Scuderia Spider is with you come what may. The 16M part of the name? Just a bit of corporate willy-waving, a reference to Ferrariís 16 world constructorsí titles.

And no, this version isnít a half-hearted sop to European playboys, more Portofino than Fiorano. Underneath it carries exactly the same modifications as the hard-top Scuderia. Titanium springs, carbon body panels, bulkheads and door panels, the full engineerís bling. At 1440kg, the most hardcore open Ferrari since the F50 is 80kg lighter than the standard F430 Spider and the 4.3-litre V8 boasts an extra 20bhp Ė and extra intake resonators to accentuate the noise.

For resonators read amplifiers. Whether theyíre operating depends on the relative positions of the throttle, rev needle and Manettino dial, but a quick ankle-flex always seems to do the trick, the engine responding with a snap of acceleration, a spike of noise, silenced as soon as you lift off. Well, weíre not out of Maranello yetÖ

When we do eventually give the 503bhp all-aluminium engine its head, the result is utterly, totally, mesmerisingly visceral. Which may be an over-used word, but itís a glove-like fit for the Scuderia. The whole process is so dramatic, so shocking, so overwhelming, that the first time I nail the throttle, I instinctively lift off, unable to process the sensory bombardment. Yes, the acceleration is savage; yes, thereís intense pressure on your lower back; and yes, the LEDs nestling in the carbon steering wheel rim light up faster than a machine-gun burst. But itís the noise thatís the killer, shockwaves of uncontained, unstoppable sound flooding in from behind. And what noise Ė a real nasally, waspish snort. Naturally it carries for miles. Every farmer we see in the fields seems to be leaning on a rake, awaiting our arrival.

So yes, the Scuderia Spider does a very good job of projecting its personality all over the sleepy, rumpled countryside Ė weíd expect nothing less from such a visually flamboyant, extrovert car. But hereís the thing Ė the shattering sound-waves may roll outwards over the landscape, but the carís actual focus is inwards, on the driver.

And Iím having the time of my life, loving the roofless sensations, and amazed by the structural stiffness. Suspension control is absolute, whether youíre braking, turning, accelerating or merely rolling along. Not once all day, not even when we fail to slow in time for a set of unannounced roadworks and smack into a lateral gully and think weíve flattened both front tyres, does the 16M lose its composure.

Yes, there is some body-roll in the cornering shots, but only because we switched the dampers to soft to make the Spider look like it was doing something. In Race mode all you feel is grip, poise, tenacity and the invisible tug of G-force on your body. The curiously shaped seats donít permit much movement, but I still found myself sliding the chair forward a notch or two so I could better brace myself and maximise leverage on the meaty steering.

Thereís nothing wrong with the helmís weight or accuracy, but the chassis is the better communicator Ė I confess I had expected a gnatís more feel through the steering, which just lacks the intimacy of a GT3ís. It still inspires confidence, though, and thereís no hint of edginess when I finally get brave enough to switch the stability system off and play with the throttle. It feels nicely balanced, the limits approachable, but I get the feeling thereís more in reserve and I know that real exploitation would require a track (preferably one with lax noise regulations).

Out here the Scuderia scythes along every road we travel, unflappable on turn-in (even when heavy on the stunningly powerful brakes), nailing every apex and exiting oh-so cleanly, traction and body control unshakeable. As good to drive as the hard top? Well itís a second and a half slower around Fiorano, 90kg heavier and I donít think itís quite as alert, the handling not quite as nuanced.

But itís close and thatís enough to ensure all 499 Scuderia Spiders have already been sold. However the best bit, the one abiding memory Iíll have of the 16M isnít of the handling, but of the first time I uncorked that amazingly vocal engine. Glad I had the roof down.
post #7 of 76 Old 03-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 700
EVO article seems a nice accurate reflection of the 16M. The Autocar article is factually wrong in a number of areas!

'SCUD' Verb. To move fast as if driven by the wind.
post #8 of 76 Old 03-11-2012, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks to everyone.

The Autocar article wasted 3 hours of my life in search for more information.
post #9 of 76 Old 03-11-2012, 03:39 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
Doug what differences are you interested in? There are some minor differences between the two through out. The 16M has upgraded software which was later introduced into the "standard" Scuderia. Much like when the last few 575 ended up with 612/575SA engines. However, there is nothing major that separates the cars, apart from the obvious. The largest differences other than one be a spider were actually the initial options available.
post #10 of 76 Old 03-11-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Doug what differences are you interested in? There are some minor differences between the two through out. The 16M has upgraded software which was later introduced into the "standard" Scuderia. Much like when the last few 575 ended up with 612/575SA engines. However, there is nothing major that separates the cars, apart from the obvious. The largest differences other than one be a spider were actually the initial options available.
Everything has pretty much been determined same as the Scud.

The last bit that I can't grasp is the exhaust - car has been upgraded with a bypass switch but curious what else may be available and offers better sound and possibly more hp.
post #11 of 76 Old 03-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 40
Doug, here's the difference between scud and 16m:

16m is heavier.. Therefore slower and doesn't handle worth beans.

16m doesn't have a hard top.. See above

16m loses the sexy lines of coupe.

Ready to sell now?
post #12 of 76 Old 03-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Owner

Oh yeah....it messes up your hair really bad too
post #13 of 76 Old 03-11-2012, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric16M View Post
Doug, here's the difference between scud and 16m:

16m is heavier.. Therefore slower and doesn't handle worth beans.

16m doesn't have a hard top.. See above

16m loses the sexy lines of coupe.

Ready to sell now?
Now you tell me!

It's cool as some chic with a sexy voice asked me to list the 16M on e-bay BIN 285K. Paid with what must have been a Black AMEX Eric ******

Hope I didn't ruin the surprise as she then sold me the CGT for 225K.

You are a lucky guy to have a woman that loves you so much - if you don't mind wash the CGT por favor truck should be there Tuesday

FTR - I have minimal hair resistance
post #14 of 76 Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Owner

That's right, I almost forgot. Women. That's where ALL my money goes, not cars.

Awfully nice of her. I'd say a true sign of love
post #15 of 76 Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric16M View Post
That's right, I almost forgot. Women. That's where ALL my money goes, not cars.

Awfully nice of her. I'd say a true sign of love
A true sign on love is signing a prenup.

Car should be in route tomorrow - painful wait til Wednesday.
post #16 of 76 Old 03-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Owner

Quote:

The last bit that I can't grasp is the exhaust - car has been upgraded with a bypass switch but curious what else may be available and offers better sound and possibly more hp.
Capristo complete system - sports cats and muffler!
Attached Images

post #17 of 76 Old 03-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Owner

Quote:

Or a Tubi made from Inconel! (Was too loud for me in the 16M!)
Attached Images

post #18 of 76 Old 03-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Owner

Quote:
Don't forget the improved carbon clear coat on 16M's (and late Scuderia's I expect) - yet to hear of a 16M suffering from milky carbon.
post #19 of 76 Old 03-12-2012, 02:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Don't forget the improved carbon clear coat on 16M's (and late Scuderia's I expect) - yet to hear of a 16M suffering from milky carbon.

When my 16M arrived from Dick Lovett mid 2010 she went straight to my local Dealer for photos of the carbon, as a couple of the parts were milky I was annoyed by Lovett's lack of attention to detail, given it was a known problem on the 'standard' Scud and that these were simple warranty claim replacement parts.

After a delay of 16 weeks the new carbon parts arrived & a cover in the engine bay, as well as the rear diffuser were replaced; happy to report these and all other carbon parts remain milky free!

Ferrari advised me they changed carbon supplier, after the milky issues with the standard Scud, however this was not in time for when they built all of the 16M, so there will be a few out there that suffer the same problem.

I'd advise you keep an eye on your carbon and have any panel replaced whilst your 16M remains under warranty!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #20 of 76 Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish16M View Post
When my 16M arrived from Dick Lovett mid 2010 she went straight to my local Dealer for photos of the carbon, as a couple of the parts were milky I was annoyed by Lovett's lack of attention to detail, given it was a known problem on the 'standard' Scud and that these were simple warranty claim replacement parts.

After a delay of 16 weeks the new carbon parts arrived & a cover in the engine bay, as well as the rear diffuser were replaced; happy to report these and all other carbon parts remain milky free!

Ferrari advised me they changed carbon supplier, after the milky issues with the standard Scud, however this was not in time for when they built all of the 16M, so there will be a few out there that suffer the same problem.

I'd advise you keep an eye on your carbon and have any panel replaced whilst your 16M remains under warranty!
I think from my limited info your 16M was number 1 in the Uk so I guess it didn't get the revised carbon. Not sure when the revised parts became available in the production run.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode