Back when they were just cool cars and not commodities! - Page 3 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 57 Old 03-02-2012, 01:03 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8funferrari View Post
Jimmy.

We met several years ago. You looked at my 15271 Daytona
Gary, do you still own 15271? It was for sale in February, 2003, through Rich Thompson of Laguna Niguel, advertised as red/black, two owners, original California car. It was sold new by Luigi Sports Cars, 28 August 1972, to the first owner, Robert H. Grace of Los Angeles. Grace drove it 19,000 miles for two years, and then sold it to Vernon Lee of Santa Ana. During 28 years of ownership, Vernon only put 6,847 miles on the car. He put it in dry storage in 1989 in his airport hangar where it sat until he sold it, 11 October 2002, with just 25,847 miles.

Crazy stuff.

I need an Aventador!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 57 Old 03-02-2012, 01:07 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 386
Here are two period pictures of Bill's former Bertone SWB. I don't know who took the pictures, nor when they were taken, so I can't offer copyright details - but I'm certainly not trying to claim them as my own.
Attached Images

I need an Aventador!
post #43 of 57 Old 03-02-2012, 03:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by 134282 View Post
Gary, do you still own 15271? It was for sale in February, 2003, through Rich Thompson of Laguna Niguel, advertised as red/black, two owners, original California car. It was sold new by Luigi Sports Cars, 28 August 1972, to the first owner, Robert H. Grace of Los Angeles. Grace drove it 19,000 miles for two years, and then sold it to Vernon Lee of Santa Ana. During 28 years of ownership, Vernon only put 6,847 miles on the car. He put it in dry storage in 1989 in his airport hangar where it sat until he sold it, 11 October 2002, with just 25,847 miles.

Crazy stuff.
Gary had his Daytona in such superb condition, it was awesome !
Here's a pic of the engine bay.

w/ smiles Jimmy
Attached Images

post #44 of 57 Old 03-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Gary had his Daytona in such superb condition, it was awesome !
Here's a pic of the engine bay.

w/ smiles Jimmy

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. 15271 was sold out of country.

Bill Baderski performed with great care in the restoration of the car
post #45 of 57 Old 03-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8funferrari View Post
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. 15271 was sold out of country.

Bill Baderski performed with great care in the restoration of the car
+1, Gary. Bill Baderski must be one of the, if not the top authority when it comes to Daytona engine works, knowledge and experience. BBs' too for that matter.
w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #46 of 57 Old 03-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by 134282 View Post
Okay, I'm home now, and had a chance to check my database on history for 3269 GT (the Bertone SWB that was once owned by Bill).

Some cool stuff about this car. First, during his time at Bertone, Giugiaro was the one who designed this car - a bitchin' little piece of information, I think.

Of the two Bertone-built SWBs, this was the second, built on a street chassis and equipped with 240 bhp. It may have had some padded leather and a handsome hand brake, but that didn't make it a competition car - and its steel body didn't help either. It was shown at the Geneva Motor Show in 1962.

In Pourret's The Ferrari Legend, it's mentioned on pages 119, 133 and 367; it's pictured on pages 133 and 134.

In 1971, a 250 GT SWB Berlinetta "Speciale" was offered for sale in San Diego. It was advertised as serial number 3569, but it may very well have been this car.

For owner Lorenzo Zambrano, Steve Tillack entered this car in the 1994 International Ferrari Concours in Monterey, CA, where it did not win an award. Zambrano himself entered it in the '96 National Ferrari Concours at Watkins Glen in NY and won the platinum class award, the Enzo Ferrari Memorial Award, and the All'abaticolo Piu Autentico award. A year later Zambrano entered it at Pebble Beach and won second in class and the Luigi Chinetti award. Zambrano owned it since at least 1981 until at least '04; it's not clear if he still owns it (though I'd be surprised if he sold it).

Bill started a thread back in September, 2009, on the other site, detailing his ownership of this car. It was silver - Bill's the one who had it painted blue. It was his only car and he drove it everyday. Since he was a professional drummer at the time, Bill loaded his drums into this car whenever he moved from one club to the next, playing six nights a week. Two guys at Modena Sport Cars in Los Angeles maintained the car for Bill, and he eventually sold it in the late '70s, at which time it had about 100K on the odometer.

Here's the picture I took back in August, 2004:
"In 1971, a 250 GT SWB Berlinetta "Speciale" was offered for sale in San Diego. It was advertised as serial number 3569, but it may very well have been this car."

Hi, This was not my car for sale in 1971, and Lorenzo Zambrano is still the owner last time I checked about a year ago.

cheers,

bill
post #47 of 57 Old 03-24-2012, 05:14 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
I Am Still Alive!

Remembering the Dubious Achievement award, I send my love to Diane Bloomer and Diana Crevier. If you drive fast now, it's thanks to my strong effort to repeal the 55 MPH speed limit. I will be happy to keep in touch. (415) 921-4297. You can also reach me through my business associate Mark Gambirasi at [email protected].

Alessandro Pedani

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdc View Post
Hi there!

This thread is being started as we were having waaaay too much fun and were waaaay to far off topic in a thread that started about 512BB racecar.

We started rambling on about the "good old days", mainly in Southern California in the Seventies and early Eighties, when a lot of us were just driving the wheels off those old suckers instead of watching them go across an auction block at multi-million dollar figures or sitting spotless in the grass at some concours.

I'm David Christian and I bought the 275 GTB/4 #10531 for $15,000 in 1974. Paid top dollar for the time. This thread is dedicated to both all of those who were part of that crazy scene and also those who never really have heard about it.

This is going to be fun!!

post #48 of 57 Old 03-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Back in the '70s, I saw Eric Sevareid's pristine Jaguar SS 100 listed in Hemmings for $17,000.00

post #49 of 57 Old 03-25-2012, 06:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Pedani View Post
Remembering the Dubious Achievement award, I send my love to Diane Bloomer and Diana Crevier. If you drive fast now, it's thanks to my strong effort to repeal the 55 MPH speed limit. I will be happy to keep in touch. (415) 921-4297. You can also reach me through my business associate Mark Gambirasi at [email protected].

Alessandro Pedani
Alessandro,

Glad to see you here!!

Jeff Kennedy
post #50 of 57 Old 03-26-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Pedani View Post

Alessandro Pedani
Ciao, Alessandro!!!

Wonderful to see you on here. I remember you going all over the Long Beach Grand Prix when it was Formula One, wearing your driving suit and demanding access to all the forbidden areas!!

Great to hear you are still around. Sadly, the old group is starting to disappear.

David Christian
post #51 of 57 Old 03-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 719
Quote:
Ciao, Alessandro!!!

Wonderful to see you on here. I remember you going all over the Long Beach Grand Prix when it was Formula One, wearing your driving suit and demanding access to all the forbidden areas!!

Great to hear you are still around. Sadly, the old group is starting to disappear.

David Christian
I remember that from one of the years. He was speaking in Italian and claiming to be part of the team. It worked for him too!

Jeff
post #52 of 57 Old 03-26-2012, 05:40 PM

I Am Alive!

Ciao David! Great to hear from you too. I'm glad that you remember me. I have a large picture of me and Niki Lauda in the pits - I was able to get in! Let's talk soon.

Alessandro (415) 921-4297

Quote:
Ciao, Alessandro!!!

David Christian
post #53 of 57 Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 PM

I Am Alive!

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the quick note. Yes, speaking in Italian was able to open many doors, especially the ones in the paddock!

Ciao,

Alessandro (415) 921-4297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kennedy View Post
I remember that from one of the years. He was speaking in Italian and claiming to be part of the team. It worked for him too!

Jeff
post #54 of 57 Old 03-30-2012, 11:44 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
A few pictures of 308's, 512's, and the father's 365 GTB/4 (Daytona). Ferrari Saudi Arabia during the 1960's and 1970's.
post #55 of 57 Old 08-11-2014, 12:10 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
More Starbird

The year was 1977 and Ken and I were friends through cycling. He used to transport his bike in the back of the 250LM behind the seats.Ken called me and said the FOC was renting Riverside and did I want to come along. Yes, of course. You'll have to come over Friday night and have dinner with us (he and Rosie). We'll have to get up early and drive out to the track from Porter Ranch.
The next morning we got up and got the suburban and trailer loaded up and then Kenny backed the Daytona out of the garage. He called me over asking if I'd ever seen one of these "gate shifters"? I'm thinking ...why are you telling me this Kenny...I don't need to know this.
His next words .." I've got to take the trailer over to pick up Crevier's car so I need you to drive this to Riverside.
Those words and driving a Daytona Comp car are still indelible 37 years later.
Lost track of Ken since then but would love to reconnect if anyone has his contact info...
Thank you
post #56 of 57 Old 08-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Tom- Welcome to Ferrari Life. Great Story on the competition Daytona. Did you ever get to drive the 250 LM?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #57 of 57 Old 02-26-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sneddon View Post
The year was 1977 and Ken and I were friends through cycling. He used to transport his bike in the back of the 250LM behind the seats.Ken called me and said the FOC was renting Riverside and did I want to come along. Yes, of course. You'll have to come over Friday night and have dinner with us (he and Rosie). We'll have to get up early and drive out to the track from Porter Ranch.
The next morning we got up and got the suburban and trailer loaded up and then Kenny backed the Daytona out of the garage. He called me over asking if I'd ever seen one of these "gate shifters"? I'm thinking ...why are you telling me this Kenny...I don't need to know this.
His next words .." I've got to take the trailer over to pick up Crevier's car so I need you to drive this to Riverside.
Those words and driving a Daytona Comp car are still indelible 37 years later.
Lost track of Ken since then but would love to reconnect if anyone has his contact info...
Thank you
I remember a run up to Monterey in the early eighties. There were probably a dozen Ferraris running up PCH just north of Malibu. Back then, of course, it was a string of Daytonas, Dinos, 330 GTC's, my 275 Four Cam and Ken was bringing up the rear in his comp Daytona. I was just ahead of Ken as we passed a station wagon with a young boy in the back who was already in Ferrari overload. When he saw Ken coming, he just totally freaked out! It was wonderful! I'm sure he never forgot it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode