samh - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-03-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 1
samh

I just got my 2003 360 & its f1 transmission shifts to neutral on its own while am driving on .then I hit paddle shifts up and it goess back to gear! I dont know whats going on .please help me....thansks alot.
samh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 03:17 AM
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by samh View Post
I just got my 2003 360 & its f1 transmission shifts to neutral on its own while am driving on .then I hit paddle shifts up and it goess back to gear! I dont know whats going on .please help me....thansks alot.
Happening at speed? When you hit the up paddle does it go back into the same gear that it had hopped out of? A false neutral so to speak?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Sam- Welcome to Ferrari Life. In general when the F1 system starts selecting neutral on its own, the clutch is on the way out. You should take it to someone with an SD2 or SD3 and have them bleed the system and reset point of initial slippage (PIS). They should also be able to give you an estimate of clutch life remaining. This may bandaid the problem for a while or show if there is another fault, but if I were you I would start saving for a new clutch.

Unfortunately, this in one of those cases where the car could end up stranding you by refusing to go into or out of gear at all. On a three pedal Modena, clutch wear is obvious because pedal effort gets very heavy as the linkage goes over-center towards the end of clutch life. On F1 cars this is masked by the 8-900 psi of hydraulic pressure operating the shift rods. Eventually the clutch wears to to point the system cannot make shifts and its fail-safe is to select neutral. Once the clutch reaches the point where neutral cannot be selected, you could be left with a car stuck in gear and no way to get it out of gear. Happened to a friend's 575M, which shares many components with the 360 F1 system. Left him in the middle of an intersection in gear with no way to push the car.

So get it checked out and maybe you will get lucky. At the very least, it will prevent you from being stranded.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
excellent response taz. i was just gonna tell him to have the clutch checked. I don't think you are told enough how great (and fast) your information is. when i read a response like this i think , people might not say it but it is greatly appreciated. I hope to meet you someday so i can buy you a drink.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
wetpet is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 07:54 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Ed- Hope to be able to take you up on that some day.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Last edited by tazandjan; 02-04-2012 at 09:06 AM.
tazandjan is online now  
post #6 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
excellent response taz. i was just gonna tell him to have the clutch checked. I don't think you are told enough how great (and fast) your information is. when i read a response like this i think , people might not say it but it is greatly appreciated. I hope to meet you someday so i can buy you a drink.
+1. I'll buy the 2nd round

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,338
Hey buddy, is this the line to buy Taz drinks??

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Sam- Welcome to Ferrari Life. In general when the F1 system starts selecting neutral on its own, the clutch is on the way out. You should take it to someone with an SD2 or SD3 and have them bleed the system and reset point of initial slippage (PIS). They should also be able to give you an estimate of clutch life remaining. This may bandaid the problem for a while or show if there is another fault, but if I were you I would start saving for a new clutch.

.
+1, I would definitely get it looked at asap. It does sound like a clutch that is about to be in need of replacement.
Boxer is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale