Fluids - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-03-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Fluids

IN Ferraris.

Can someone start, as I'm not that well equipped to do so, an entry in the knowledge base on fluids in general.

Right now I'm trying to top off my steering fluid in the 456, and Dex 4 is superceeded by a 6. I'm quite certain mixing the two is ok, but not sure as sometimes mixing liquids can be problematic.

SO< If we had a general discussion thread on how to mix substitues and/or vary rated liquids in the same system, it might help.

For now, I'm mixing Dex 4 with 6 as that's the only one I can get.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Rik- In general on oils and hydraulic fluids, you want to stick with the same manufacturer/refiner when you add fluids. If you had synthetic oil by Quaker State (Q, maybe), you are actually better off adding a Quaker State non-synthetic to top off than you are using a synthetic by another manufacturer. This is because many oils meet the same standards, but use different additives to meet those standards. Different manufacturers' additives may not be compatible and can react together, degrading lubrication properties.

Same for the automatic transmission fluid used in power steering systems. The latest recommendation for power steering systems in Ferraris is Donax TX, which is a synthetic transmission fluid meeting GM's Dexron III standard, mentioned in your 456 OM as AGIP Dexron. If you use a different ATF, like Valvoline, it would be perfectly safe to mix their Dexron III ATF with their Dexron VI ATF if you could not find the Dexron VI to top off. In general on ATF, a manufacturer's later spec fluid is back compatible with its earlier spec fluids, but it is not compatible with another manufacturer's fluid. So for the Valvoline example, you could mix any of their fluids that meet Dexron III or higher standards. I actually run Valvoline Dexron VI in my power steering system.

Incidentally, for those of you with cars earlier than 1996, coincidentally when Shell became a primary sponsor for the F1 cars, here is the tech bulletin on the switch from AGIP to Shell products.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Rik- In general on oils and hydraulic fluids, you want to stick with the same manufacturer/refiner when you add fluids. If you had synthetic oil by Quaker State (Q, maybe), you are actually better off adding a Quaker State non-synthetic to top off than you are using a synthetic by another manufacturer. This is because many oils meet the same standards, but use different additives to meet those standards. Different manufacturers' additives may not be compatible and can react together, degrading lubrication properties.

Same for the automatic transmission fluid used in power steering systems. The latest recommendation for power steering systems in Ferraris is Donax TX, which is a synthetic transmission fluid meeting GM's Dexron III standard, mentioned in your 456 OM as AGIP Dexron. If you use a different ATF, like Valvoline, it would be perfectly safe to mix their Dexron III ATF with their Dexron VI ATF if you could not find the Dexron VI to top off. In general on ATF, a manufacturer's later spec fluid is back compatible with its earlier spec fluids, but it is not compatible with another manufacturer's fluid. So for the Valvoline example, you could mix any of their fluids that meet Dexron III or higher standards. I actually run Valvoline Dexron VI in my power steering system.

Incidentally, for those of you with cars earlier than 1996, coincidentally when Shell became a primary sponsor for the F1 cars, here is the tech bulletin on the switch from AGIP to Shell products.

Thanks Taz, I had no choice but to add #6 as it was below EMPTY!!!

No fluid on ground, but obviously sudden decrease.....watching closely.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

post #4 of 4 Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Rik- Problem is most likely a power steering pump hose, a very common 65 deg V12 problem. Easily replaced. If the Dexron VI is made by the same company as the Dexron IV, no problem. Next time it is changed (probably when you replace that hose), you can safely switch to Dexron VI, a better fluid that still meets earlier Dexron standards as well as the updated Dexron VI standards.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode